Author Topic: Hard time starting  (Read 6444 times)

The moped learner

• View Profile
Re: Hard time starting
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:25 AM »
SORRY FOR THE CAPPS MY IPOD IS BEING DUMB DONT WANT ANYONE STRAIN THERE EYES SEEING SMALL PRINT. I MEANT 45-55 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:42:30 AM by The moped learner »

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Sure, cool. I kind of like caps.  :)

Pont is, that ice in the carburator is a problem even when weather is above freezing point. - Due to vaporizing reactions lowering the temperature in the carburator.

And this kind of liquid added to the gazoline might very well sort that problem out.

Peace out.  :)
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
If you have had problems with your engine stopping in rainy or moist weather, waiting 5 minnutes is enough to be able to start the engine again.
This is because heat from the engine heats up the carburator in that time enough for the moist to vaporize.

If this sounds familiar, then go a head and try out that Isopropyl alcohol product.  ;)
Give way to trains.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
4-cycle mopeds arnt ment to be in cold weather
4-stroke engines seem to work just fine in snow blowers!

Return engine to original running configuration.
Check valve lash (.05mm/.002 inches)

Consider . . using Delo 400 engine oil, adding around 2 ounces of Techron Concentrate to the gas tank before refilling, and installing an enricher switch.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
Well ok ill try it eherim ill get back to you.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »
The only reason im waiting to try out what you said is becuase im saving up my money for my 80cc bicycle engine kit do to the fact if its snowing i can just make my way to the bus stop and put my bike on the front of the bus bike rack and get close to work and make my way to work

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
In this semi-cold weather my agility also has a hard time starting with the electric starter button. But 1-4 kicks with the kick starter starts it every time - so far.
:-)
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
OK - so now my Agility won't start either. LOL

There was this really rainy day. The scooter was parked under a roof, but the moist in the air caused it not to start. Not by the electric starter and not by the kick starter.

I got these suggestions from a Danish forum, and I will try them out in a week or so:

"Experiencing problems starting in moist weather sounds like moist is getting where it is not supposed to be. Try checking out the spark plug Wire."

I found a video, that descibes what to do in this situation:

Some other guy made his scooter start by taking the air filter off. Then it started by the first kick. He then cleaned the filter and it was all good.
Give way to trains.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 09:54:01 PM »
  in the  days of my youth, 1940,s and 1950,s we used( ether ) that you buy at the auto supply or drug store,.  and up north we had to use a blow torch on the oil pan to melt the oil, frozen solid,. just to turn the engine with a crank, now a days I think you can buy ether in a spray can,. whats in those little plastic bottles at the gas station you put in your tank if you have water in the gas,???ether I believe,. 

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
Update:
I had to turn my Agility in to a mechanic.
They filled up the oil, replaced the spark plug and the battery plus sprayed some cables and connections with some silicone spray.
It's up and running again and the world is a better place. :-)
Give way to trains.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 02:51:22 AM »
Ohh trust me eather was my best friend but when it turns cold it didn't help and the kick starter didnt help a bit

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:48 AM »
I just put it in my shed and bought my 80cc bicycle engine kit and runs better than the moped so for now moped summer driving, 80cc bicycle winter

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
It miiiiiiiiight also be, that the problem is, that it has not been running for a while.
That could cause the carburetor to be empty of fuel. In order to fill it up and have it starting again, I read a tip about stepping gently on the kickstarter - without trying to start the scoot - 4-5 times and after that turning the throttle handle up and down 6-7 times. That should somehow suck gas into the carb.
After that it should start, if that is the problem.

You could watch this and read the comments:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:40:27 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
Another trick to do in order to fill up the carburator with sufficient fuel is to locate the air intake hose, wich is made of rubber. Then squeze it tightly together while kicking the kick starter a few times. That should suck fuel into the carb.
If that doesn't do the trick, the vacuum hose might be damaged.
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:46 PM »
OK, a few more newbie experiences on this subject (me being the newbie):

1)
The problem can also be a not all charged battery. One can by a charger for when the problem occurs. If a scoot is left for a while and not used, the battery will slowly de-charge. Low levels make a hard time starting. Some guy told me, that the battery should be replaced once every year.

2)
When starting, only apply a very subtle twist of the throttle handle. More than just a tiny bit will make it very hard to fire up the engine. I've been to impatient and upset from time to time, and I am sure, that has gotten me to twist the handle way to much.
To me this being gentle with the throttle handle seemed illogical, and when I saw a guy start my scoot with it, I just couldn't believe, that what I found impossible actually was so easy. Kind of like a magic touch of sorts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:42:49 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()