Author Topic: Seat lock broken on Like125  (Read 3180 times)

mikbak

• View Profile
Seat lock broken on Like125
« on: November 22, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Hiya all,
Great forum here and I am hoping someone can help me out.

My wife has a 125 Like with a broken seat latch.

The key goes in but rotates 360 degrees doing nothing.

I have had a look under the LH side panel and removed the bottom plastic.but the side panel seems to be held on with a multitude of immovable clips which look like they don't come apart.

Any ideas how I can get the panel off or the lock undone? .. as she can't fill up with petrol to get around.....

I phoned a Kymco dealer in Chester as we don't have one near in SW Wales ....but they couldn't help other than to say get the scoot up to them...

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: Seat lock broken on Like125
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »
I will not be much help, do you have a photo or diagram?

Drill the tumbler out than turn the locking mechanism and open.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
Have wondered the same - if this ever happens to my LIKE.
Just thinking this through...no idea if these will work - but here's 3 Ideas that do not destroy anything on your scoot:

Remove the lower/front/center panel. (remove 3 screws from battery cover - pop it out; remove 2 screws from center panel. Pop it out w/some wiggling) Reach up under and see if you can unbolt the 2 nuts holding down the seat front. Lift seat, unlatch seat at rear.

Remove slender side panel (3 screws, then slide 1/4 inch to rear to unsnap the panel) Now reach up under side cowel to the lock and pull cable to release the seat back.

Try going in with a long tool at the very rear of the seat, to reach and unhook the seat latch. You may have to remove the top trunk, and/or the rear rack that the trunk is bolted to - in order to get a tool into the space under the seat to the latch.

Please let us know if you get this sussed.....we might all be there sooner rather than later!
Good luck, Stig (nope....the one in Ohio)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:36:08 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mikbak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
Thanks all, some good advice there.
The Like really is a good scoot and I often borrow it for my commute when I fancy some fun , rather than getting the Silverwing out.

I'll have a go at your suggestions.

In the mean time I've emailed Kymco for suggestions.

I have removed the lower slide out panel but nearly ripped my hand to pieces trying to get it up behind the lock protection panel.

This really is a poorly designed cheap lock mechanism, can someone post a pic of the their lock barrel mechanism where the cable starts from please , may help me.

The pic of the lock itself is really good , maybe wire coat hanger with loop will do it. Certainly something to try on a cold Saturday in Wales.

At least on my honda silverwing  I can get in via the rear light cluster, but mores the point the tank filler is not under the seat ...
Whatever you do guys / girls don't lock your keys under the seat... >:(

Wonder if anyone has ever tried to see if they could trip their lock before this sort of thing happens to them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:29:41 AM by mikbak »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
Yeah - these aren't the best of locks on this bargain scoot.
I was hoping you were a real skinny fellow and could fit your hand up in there. My hands are like Easter Hams.
Something has come adrift - but which end of the cable?
Yep - when fueling in the dark I always double check to see where the key is before dropping the seat!
I was looking at a scoot at the dealers not long ago - he showed me how the seat unlatched from the ignition key on the leg shield. He thought that was cool - my first thought was, "too many things can go wrong between there and ...there!"

Not sure that drilling out the lock will release the latch back at the rear of the seat. Lock and latch are not one in the same...like a desk or file cabinet.(I've drilled out both)

(on facebook is the Philippine LIKE Club - those guys can take these scoots apart in their sleep - I bet they could help if you might contact them.... The Like Club Pilipinas Inc.)

Sort of embarrassed for the Kymco folks here......there should have been a fix in the owner's manual for an emergency manual release.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
The release cable runs on the outside of the frame and can be seen by looking in the opening in the plastic side panel where the left allen bolt is for the rear rack attachment. (that Left big red arrow in my photo)
It flexes when I turn my key in the lock - maybe hooking it with a coat hanger and pulling  will activate the latch?
(what you are missing is a view of the lock area with the seat bucket out - apparently none of us have had our seat buckets out this w/e.)
Please keep us posted --------- I can pull the seat bucket if  need be.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mikbak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Thanks Stig for your pointers.

I removed the top box and sissy bar and saw the cable by the hole where the LH bolt was. Pulled it and the seat popped open.

Removed the pan and found that the cable barrel had slipped out , put it back with a retaining tie wrap which I extended using another so it can be accessed under the LH panel , it only takes a slight pull to trip the catch...

One happy wife here in West Wales now...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
Super.
Great fix!
OK, now we know how to get in there to unlatch the seat.
I can see my cable in that bolt hole without removing anything.
Thanks for the photos and for the 'back-up' latching idea!
Does she ride this in the cold?
(Wasn't Dylan Thomas from Wales? --seemed like he spoke of having very cold winters there. Getting cold and snowy here in Ohio - kept me off my scoot all day today - and now am very out of sorts!)
Regards, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()