Author Topic: Anyone use a Grip-Lock to lock up your Agility 50?  (Read 988 times)

lorcha

• View Profile
Anyone use a Grip-Lock to lock up your Agility 50?
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Anyone use a Grip-Lock (http://www.grip-lock.com/) to secure your scooter during the day? What do you think of it? For those who don't want to click, it's a device that locks your handbrake into the engaged position, making it much more difficult to roll away the scooter.

I'm going to be parking my A50 at a suburban metro stop with other scooters, so I want to make mine look less enticing than the others. Here are my thoughts:
Pros:
  • It's highly visible, so it makes it clear that rolling the scooter away won't be as easy as snapping the steering-column lock.
  • It's small, so wouldn't need to carry around a big lock cable or chain.
  • It's very quick to put on and take off.
Cons:
  • Would it even work? Is there an easy way to disengage the breaks so the scooter can roll again?
  • It does not solve the problem of a few burly dudes tossing the scooter into the back of a pickup and driving off with it.
  • I haven't found any reviews from Agility 50 owners saying that it fits and works with this particular scooter. I think it probably will, but anyway, I don't know for sure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this little device? I did a forum search and didn't turn anything up.

Thanks!

de-dee

• View Profile
Re: Anyone use a Grip-Lock to lock up your Agility 50?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
I think a chain is the best,. tied to a steel post, even a 411 lb. down town is not safe ,. good insurance is the best thing to have ,

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:03 AM »
Nah i dont, i use a cheap U Lock and cable.  But stopped using it when i park at work because of the high security there.  Use the u lock when at grocery store or somewhere other than work.  But ive been looking into getting a really cool alarm/pager system installed and also a big chain.  But anyways, if it makes you feel any better, on the way to work for over 2 months, ive passed these two agility 50s just parked in the street with what seems like nothing on them and they are still there.  In a rough neighborhood too lol.  Ehh that probably doesnt help.....?
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

lorcha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Just to close the loop on this, I went with a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain and lock, and I just run the chain through the real wheel and I don't lock it to anything. Also, I have insurance.

Obviously it'd be better if I could lock my scoot to something, but there aren't a lot of good options where I park it (motorcycle parking section of a commuter lot). My ultimate reasoning: it's a low crime, high traffic area and I have the nicest lock of any of the bikes that usually park there. Also, if someone wants to steal a scoot, let's face it... he's gonna prefer one of the Hondas, anyway.  8)

Thanks for your advice!

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
I have the same chain and boy is it menacing!! Its gonna take big tools to get that chain off!
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:31 AM »
I just lock the stearing and go with trust

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()