Author Topic: SYM is a great scoot, but..............  (Read 2176 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
SYM is a great scoot, but..............
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I really like the SYM scooters, but then I keep coming across articles like this.
Parts wait issues - parts price issues - lack of dealers.
(gitsum - have your views on SYM scooters changed since this old post?)
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=2298.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:06:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
Re: SYM is a great scoot, but..............
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm a new forum member.   I have owned scooters off and on since 1985.   I just picked up a 2012 Like 200i last week with 450 miles.   This will be replacing my SYM HD200.    I've owned the SYM for about a year, but just couldn't fall in love with the semi-crotch rocket appearance.   I have put 300 miles on my Like in the last week.   I'm keeping the speed under 40 to do a proper break in.   Right now my Yamaha  C3 is faster than the Like, but that will not be the case for long. 
Similar to the Like, the stock SYM seat is horrible.   I reshaped it, added a gel insert and a sheepskin seat cover.   This made all the difference in the world.  The SYM can cruise at 60 to 65 mph for extended rides with no problems.   The 16" wheels make for a smooth ride.    Parts for the SYM are difficult to come by.   The dealer network for them is pretty thin.    The SYM riders forum is an outstanding source for information and technical help.   There are a number of dealers and mechanics who chime in regularly.     
Here's my point:   I see the Like 200 as a combination of all the good things from my favorite scooters.   It has the cool retro look of the Lambretta Jet200 I owned as a kid, the fuel injection of my Yamaha C3 and the speed of my SYM HD200 (kind of).     I'll sell the SYM in the spring which will leave me with the Kymco Like and the 50cc Yamaha C3.   
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm a new forum member.   I have owned scooters off and on since 1985.   I just picked up a 2012 Like 200i last week with 450 miles.   This will be replacing my SYM HD200.    I've owned the SYM for about a year, but just couldn't fall in love with the semi-crotch rocket appearance.   I have put 300 miles on my Like in the last week.   I'm keeping the speed under 40 to do a proper break in.   Right now my Yamaha  C3 is faster than the Like, but that will not be the case for long. 
Similar to the Like, the stock SYM seat is horrible.   I reshaped it, added a gel insert and a sheepskin seat cover.   This made all the difference in the world.  The SYM can cruise at 60 to 65 mph for extended rides with no problems.   The 16" wheels make for a smooth ride.    Parts for the SYM are difficult to come by.   The dealer network for them is pretty thin.    The SYM riders forum is an outstanding source for information and technical help.   There are a number of dealers and mechanics who chime in regularly.     
Here's my point:   I see the Like 200 as a combination of all the good things from my favorite scooters.   It has the cool retro look of the Lambretta Jet200 I owned as a kid, the fuel injection of my Yamaha C3 and the speed of my SYM HD200 (kind of).     I'll sell the SYM in the spring which will leave me with the Kymco Like and the 50cc Yamaha C3.   
2 points:
1) You purchased a LIKE with 450 miles on it....if I might ask. what did you pay for it? (I love my LIKE - but it seems to have lousy resale value in the real world. There are local shops selling a new LIKE 200i for $1999 - with no set-up fees, just the sales tax.)
2) The SYM HD 200 is my fav. next scooter! I like what I read and see so much I'd even put up with the lousy dealer support....by servicing it myself. I want a big wheeled scoot and I want the extra MPH which the SYM is comfortable handling - compared to the LIKE.
After 4000 miles and 8+ months I feel the LIKE is a VERY good 25>40MPH scooter. For me, the LIKE's tire size and chassis size seem relaxed in that speed range - but not much over that. I am thinking the SYM would be happy in the 30>55MPH ranges.....for rural road travels.
I'm talking speeds at which the rider is made to feel comfortable - regardless of the actual top speeds the scoot is capable of. To me - these are two very different things!
Probably a lot of LIKE owners here will disagree with me - but I think the LIKE is a very good city scooter - just not a very capable 55 MPH rural road scooter.
Your thoughts?
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
In September I replaced my Kimco Peoples 200 with an SYM RV200.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Kimco, bike serves its purpose very but was a little slow for the way I ended up needling it.

I also have a 2011 Cali-Classic also a Sym product. I have never had a parts problem. I have Soild dealer support both here in Florida and in NJ. Both dealer are Kymco, SYM, Genuine dealers. SYMs dealer network is growing.

If the Grand Vista was still made I probably would've bought one. I wanted a stepped through smaller wheel Scooter and there are not many choices in that displacement range.

I still own my super 8, have almost 10,000 miles on it and love it. Probably never sell that scoot.

At the moment I believe the SYM/Lance product lines are the best value.  You're getting a rock solid warranty on with a quality bike at a price that's hard to beat.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »
I paid $1450 for my 2012 w/ about 450 miles on it.   They were asking $1800, but the wife made the mistake of telling me they were leaving on a cruise in 4 days and had no spending money.    I used my HD200 on the freeway a number of times.  It has plenty of power, but I'm fine staying off the freeway.   SYM scooters cost a lot more new than Kymcos new.    I have a yamaha C3 (50cc) that can do about 46 on a straight away.  I've put 14,000 miles on it in the last two years.  It is my go to scooter.   I wanted something bigger for mountain rides or when I bring one of my kids with me.    I ride with a few guys on new 250cc fuel injected Vespas.   Great scooters, but not worth the price in my opinion.   I think the Kymco Like is a great concept.  I wish they would have designed it with an American adult male in mind.   
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply Wallboard,
The Kymco LIKE 200i has pretty low resale value compared to SYM scooters.
I'd like to get that word out to future LIKE owners - bargain with the dealer, and if he won't budge, phone the next closest dealer, or look for a good used one this winter. I don't care what a book says - check eBay for what these are selling for in the real world.
The list on a SYM 200 is @ $100 more than I paid for my LIKE.
But I love the retro look of the LIKE - which is why I walked right up to it on the dealer's floor. Priced at 1/2 a Vespa - I was hooked after I read reviews of the LIKE and Kymco scooters in general.
Fixed the seat to my liking - and - when I'm not with my wife and kids - it is my favorite place to sit in the whole world!
8" of snow coming today, so I had to get off of it. I probably will wax it again tomorrow morning.
Took the long way to work yesterday morning - before it started to snow....for some xmas lights.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:04 AM »
I paid $1450 for my 2012 w/ about 450 miles on it.   They were asking $1800, but the wife made the mistake of telling me they were leaving on a cruise in 4 days and had no spending money.    I used my HD200 on the freeway a number of times.  It has plenty of power, but I'm fine staying off the freeway.   SYM scooters cost a lot more new than Kymcos new.    I have a yamaha C3 (50cc) that can do about 46 on a straight away.  I've put 14,000 miles on it in the last two years.  It is my go to scooter.   I wanted something bigger for mountain rides or when I bring one of my kids with me.    I ride with a few guys on new 250cc fuel injected Vespas.   Great scooters, but not worth the price in my opinion.   I think the Kymco Like is a great concept.  I wish they would have designed it with an American adult male in mind.

Don't know who's pricing the SYMs you're looking at.
(List prices can be bought for less)

SYM Citycom 300           $4699.00
Kymco Downtown 300    $5599.00
Kymco GTI300               $5399.00

It's unfair to make a comparison between the Like200 and be HD 200. That is a complete apples and oranges comparison. Except for the EFI it is basically the same air cooled 163cc motor that was in the S200. The SYM liquid cooled ,ceramic cylinder motor is faster smoother and will be longer lived.

If I were to add the SYM made/backed Lance PCH 150 into the mix.

Lance PCH150           $2199.00
Kymco Super 8          $2499.00

So no the SYMs are not "a lot more new than Kymcos".

As I said I have owned Kymco, still own a Kymco and will probably on them in the future and are fine scooters. Right now simply not the best value IMO.

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:09:09 AM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »
Value? - Why should I care about value when we're only talking about $3000 bucks from the get go. Resale -
Why worry about resale? This is not a $35,000 care or a $250,000 house. It's a $3000 scooter for goodness sakes! By what you love, ride it until the wheels fall off and be thankful that you can have so much fun and get so much pleasure without having to buy a $20,000 hog. If you love your scooter and it treats you well, it is a good value. They are for recreation and travel - not for investment.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 04:14:47 AM »
Value? - Why should I care about value when we're only talking about $3000 bucks from the get go. Resale -
Why worry about resale? This is not a $35,000 care or a $250,000 house. It's a $3000 scooter for goodness sakes! By what you love, ride it until the wheels fall off and be thankful that you can have so much fun and get so much pleasure without having to buy a $20,000 hog. If you love your scooter and it treats you well, it is a good value. They are for recreation and travel - not for investment.
Well said! I agree - I just had to replace my People 150 because of an accident (drunk idiot hit me), and while I miss my Kymco, my new ride (PCH 150) is just as enjoyable. Bottom line is I'm still able to ride and enjoy the joys of a scooter no matter what bike I'm sitting on. And all this fun for under $2500!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

As I agree you should ride what you like, I don't think it should cost more than it should.
I never said anything about investment I was only talking about price right out-of-the-box. If I was looking for a 300cc scooter I would not leave a grand sitting on the table.

Be Big,
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()