Author Topic: New to the forum. Wondering where I belong...  (Read 727 times)

jqp63143

• View Profile
New to the forum. Wondering where I belong...
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
Just bought a 2004 Cobra Cross 50cc for a steal so have money to spend left over. There isn't a cobra group so I've cruised the zx50 posts a bit. My cobra has a chamber and a stock carb (I'm assuming) and hasn't been started in six months. I'm told it would hit 80+ kph but had trouble starting even after sitting for a few minutes. I'm hoping it's just a jetting glitch. Took it straight to the shop after the purchase. If it needs a top end I'll go with a BBK and carb. Any opinions between Peloni and Melossi 72cc and 70cc kits? I already have a 50cc  scoot that's boring and tame and quiet that I use to get to work at 4:30 am. The Cobra is going to be my hooligan bike. Looking for 50-55 mph cruising speed and 60+ top speed while being reliable and easy to start. Is this realistic? Any input is appreciated and suggestions as to which group to hang out in are welcomed. A lifetime ago I was a motorcycle mechanic and raced an RD400 so I'm able to do my own work as soon as I get my tools together. Looking forward to any guidance you folks can provide.

ts1

• View Profile
Re: New to the forum. Wondering where I belong...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
No Kymco 50cc will get near 80kph.
The fastet stock 50cc is the Aprilia SR 50 R with 78kph and 6 hp (unrestricted with European license A1).
Beeing a professional, you know that only plugging a bigger cylinder doesn't give you much. You'd have to change "everything".
With 9-10 hp you'll get about 90kph, 11-12 hp 100kph and 14-15 hp 110kph.
Motorcycles with efficient gearbox instead of variomatic and esp. your body lying on the seat/tank are (much) faster.

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
with exhaust/variator/cvt tuning I got my like50 2t up to 44 max. I just installed the 70cc Malossi kit. It was very easy. No idea as to its full performace as Ive barley broken it in.

This thread may interest you

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

jqp63143

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the input. As I said it already has a chamber and I don't know if the carb is stock. From what I see in the maintenance records new rollers have been installed. It wouldn't surprise me if it already has a BBK installed. Previous owner claims 50 mph top speed. I take it with a grain of salt but am treating this as a project bike and am looking forward to seeing what I can wring out of this thing. Thinking of coating all the painted parts with bedliner to make it indestructible. LOL. I'll check out the thread and keep the group posted on the progress of my project.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()