Author Topic: Like 200i Italian LX and Vespa inspired  (Read 10674 times)

Gunther

• View Profile
Like 200i Italian LX and Vespa inspired
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »
Finally my Like 200i is back from the shop after 2 months of waiting. Sorry for the pictures, will have better ones once my project is complete, i still need to install HID and crash bars similar to the italian Likes, and probably little stickers  ;)

I got the faco rear carrier from scootnl from the Netherlands, had it shipped to the US thru forwarding and here in the Philippines. Got the information here in the forums as to where to get one 8)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:34:21 PM by Gunther »

Gunther

• View Profile
Re: Like 200i Italian LX and Vespa inspired
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
.. and the front :P

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
Gunther- Very nice custom job there. The bling will go nicely with the safety bars. May I ask what kind of wind screen that you have installed? Looks great!   Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Thanks sir, will still have to look for a steels shop that can fabricate the crash bars.

As for the windshield, it could be an original kymco windshield since it has a small warning sticker with a kymco logo on it.. but I believe it's not made for the Like. The curve for the headlight is rounder.

It is sold by a local kymco dealer here in Manila.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
Ganda pre!

Wait till Stig sees this thread... he's gonna drool man..oh man..!!

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
Interesting. I like it!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
Sweet Jesus! I've been looking in how to get that Faco rear rack from scootparts.nl. I've emailed them and a few other places inquiring if they ship to the US and have never heard back. Also where did you get the floor board runners? I've been looking into doing the same thing.

That is a GORGEOUS LIKE! Good, no GREAT JOB.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »
I am most impressed with the time and effort you went through to have your pretty LIKE built to this standard.
Did you start with a cream white LIKE?
So much chrome!
Does the chrome plating weaken the alloy wheels?
I think I have seen the rear rack done in black as well as the chrome. As much as I like the profile of the scooter without the top box - I have now become too accustomed to its carrying ability - I do not think I could do without it in my daily scootering life!
Here are some custom chrome bars on this pretty red LIKE.

Rumps~! -Vespa left, LIKE right.

You did a very handsome version of this LIKE made for the Italian market!

Kymco made a nice version of the Vespa rear rack.

Here is a rare image to show the difference in size between the LIKE and the Vespa. The Vespa is a bigger bike.

Thank you for sharing this with us!
Regards, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
Sweet Jesus! I've been looking in how to get that Faco rear rack from scootparts.nl. I've emailed them and a few other places inquiring if they ship to the US and have never heard back. Also where did you get the floor board runners? I've been looking into doing the same thing.

That is a GORGEOUS LIKE! Good, no GREAT JOB.

I didn't inquire, I immediately ordered online when I saw the rear carrier from their website and saw there is an option to ship to the US. I called them though to follow up and confirm my order just to be sure, had problems initially with their email system. They shipped it a few days after, including a tracking number.

Only problem is that the one that they have on stock was black, so I had to cash out for it to have it chromed after I received it.

As for the floor board runners, they are original runners for the Vespa PX 150. They're too long so I had to cut them to fit the Likes floorboard, it had guides already anyway which is perfect. The extra bits will serve as an extra. Got the runners locally from a Vespa 3rd party service and parts shop here.

Glad that you liked it sir :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:20:25 PM by Gunther »

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
I am most impressed with the time and effort you went through to have your pretty LIKE built to this standard.
Did you start with a cream white LIKE?
So much chrome!
Does the chrome plating weaken the alloy wheels?
I think I have seen the rear rack done in black as well as the chrome. As much as I like the profile of the scooter without the top box - I have now become too accustomed to its carrying ability - I do not think I could do without it in my daily scootering life!

Thank you for sharing this with us!
Regards, Stig

Thanks Stig, happy to hear good words coming from you :)

Yes, I started with the stock cream 200i color in which personally I didn't liked. If only the LX versions are available here then I could have been satisfied. Unfortunately, only the cream color is the only available 200i that they sell here in our country.

I might have overdid the chrome parts though ;D

Not sure about the chrome weakening the alloy wheels Stig, but from experience I did the same thing with my Yamaha Fino 2 years ago and rode the whole Philippines island (14 days) solo, and never had any issues with the chromed alloy wheels considering 70% of the roads I took looked like Moon craters ;D

As for the Top Box, I also had it done. For now the underseat storage is enough for my daily trips and if ever the need arises then I can always install the Top Box again for additional storage or just a big bag that I can tether to the rear carrier.

I'll have the crash bars fabricated similar to the Italian Like LX probably after the holidays to complete my project. had some new small additions added, will update and post some pics tomorrow.

Here's what the Top Box looks like to compliment the new look of my Like

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »
Very nice job Gunther,
Some questions:
 Gunther, Why do different parts of the world have different accessories for our scooter?
In other words, are the rear racks which are not offered here in the USA made in Taiwan (or China), or are they made in Europe for the local market in Europe (Netherlands, Spain)?
The chrome 'crash bars' sold as Kymco accessories in Europe are different from the ones sold by Kymco here in the States. Made in Taiwan/China?
There are a lot of Vespa rear racks sold here in the USA - if you could put all of them in your hands and be standing with a LIKE we could probably find Vespa racks that would work without too much altering on our LIKE's. But that's not going to happen.

Here in the USA, we have mirrors, a tool bag (?!!), crash bars (thank goodness!), 3 colors of windshields, a license plate frame (??!!) and a couple of Shad "top cases" offered by "Kymco USA" as accessories for our LIKE's. Very disappointing. But, we're dealing with it.

As for the windshields - for some reason it seems LIKE owners here are not fitting these KYMCO windshields - but other brands - to their LIKE's. I do not know why. (I have no interest in this "C.H.P. look" - California Highway Patrol - yet. I may change my mind as I ride more, only 4000 miles to date.)

Your seat:
You have added a couple inches of foam to at least the passenger area it seems, Yes? (I think if an American would sell a LIKE seat which has been nicely covered and modified with added foam - so that the rider could sit further back - or simply sit with more comfort - it would be a very popular after-market purchase! Men would probably gladly pay $125>$150 for such a seat! I know of a couple of fellows who have paid considerably more than that for their seat conversions.)
I am not fond of the appearance of my home-made seat rebuild - but I do love the total comfort of it! I never think about my seat when I'm riding now. Before, it became an issue after 20 mins - and the "knees / handlebars" issue was always there! No more.
I do not think this seat is much of an issue in the far Pacific.

I will be adding a massive (but ugly) Bestem 929 lighted top case with liner, and probably will be 'blacking' (black 'crinkle' paint) the silver heat shield on the muffler - to make it 'disappear', and maybe removing the (LX) chrome plastic passenger grab 'fish' from the seat area....as the Italians did when they added the rear rack!
I do not need all the space the Bestem offers - but I DO want the lights and "rear presence" it presents to cars who tailgate me.(esp. when I'm slowing to turn off of 45mph streets) Scooters are VERY rare in my town (not seen another in 3 months) - and do not get much respect from the car drivers.
OK, well - do keep us posted on your LIKE - it is a beauty!
Regards Stig
(weather man says 3 degrees F next week)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:04:02 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »
I have no idea Stig as to why different countries have different accessories available, probably a marketing thing.

As for the seat, yes I had it designed to add an inch of foam. The original seat hurts my butt, I can feel the plastic at the center portion.

Anyway, my Like mod project is complete, installed projector lens and finally the crash guards. I am very satisfied as to what I had accomplished, this design is what was in my mind the moment I laid my eyes on the Like.

Hope you guys like it ;D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »
I have no idea Stig as to why different countries have different accessories available, probably a marketing thing.

As for the seat, yes I had it designed to add an inch of foam. The original seat hurts my butt, I can feel the plastic at the center portion.

Anyway, my Like mod project is complete, installed projector lens and finally the crash guards. I am very satisfied as to what I had accomplished, this design is what was in my mind the moment I laid my eyes on the Like.

Hope you guys like it ;D

That is one pretty scooter!
You should forward a picture to the KYMCO factory!
I also looked at what was available for the LIKE from KYMCO USA before buying my scooter.
As long as I could get those chrome crash bars.....I was all in!
I've told this story before - but will tell it again: I chose to buy the red LIKE and order the crash bars. I asked about the red, black, ivory and the LX 2-color LIKE's. The salesman said only the red and black was available. A few days later when ready to purchase - I told him to begin writing the sales paper-work while I went to look at helmets. I found the blue/white LX parked by the helmets and went back and told him to stop on red, start again on writing up the LX. (I had to find it - he never showed it to me. They had the 50 and 163 LX models on the far side of the big store!)
Again, very pretty version of our LIKE !
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 02:27:20 AM »
Gunther, won't that plate holder hit when you go over a hump?  Very beautiful scooter...  :)

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
Nice story Stig, it's weird that the dealer placed the LX models far back. They probably get better commissions on other bikes :P

@Vivo: nope never had any issues with the plate holder on humps. It probably looks it's installed very low from the pictures but the holder is almost at the level of the rear mudguard so there is no issue.

Thanks for the compliments to Shawn guys Ü

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()