Author Topic: Have a New Scooter??  (Read 3218 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Have a New Scooter??
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
Lots of folks tell a new scooter owner a lot of stuff about oil changes, etc.
If you are a new scooter owner - please read what this respected shop in Santa Barbara, CA, has to say about scooters and oil changes.

Copied from www.ootyscooters.com
Santa Barbara, CA
805-965-8101
....and wouldn't it be nice if we all had So. Cal. weather and scooter shops like this!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Re: Have a New Scooter??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »
I really can't figure out which is the right way to do things - both in my car and scooter.

The scooter owner's manual says that my first oil change should be at 600 miles then again at 3000 miles.  When I bought the scooter, the dealer told me to come in at 600 miles and then every 1000 miles.

I called to verify this with the dealer's mechanic and I told him what the owner's manual said and he was surprised to hear it since he goes by the schedule the dealer told him to go by.

He told me that in the past, the owner's manuals did have more frequent oil changes but that in the last few years, the EPA has been getting on motor vehicle manufacturers to extend oil change frequency because of all the oil that's being used, disposed of and sometimes recycled - perhaps unnecessarily.  He then recommended that I go by the owner's manual, which is what I plan to do.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
The manual usually states a mileage and a time interval for oil changes. Bikes like to be ridden and not sitting, so you can get away with more mileage up to the manual recommendation for mileage. I recommend keeping an eye on the oil level, perhaps after every two or three tanks of gas, or before and during and after a long trip!

But if the bike is hardly rode, then I suggest the time interval, usually six months to a year. Oil additives wear down, the oil thickens and the oil gets contaminated over time even if the bike just sits.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:46:08 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »
The manual usually states a mileage and a time interval for oil changes. Bikes like to be ridden and not sitting, so you can get away with more mileage up to the manual recommendation for mileage. I recommend keeping an eye on the oil level, perhaps after every two or three tanks of gas, or before and during and after a long trip!

But if the bike is hardly rode, then I suggest the time interval, usually six months to a year. Oil additives wear down, the oil thickens and the oil gets contaminated over time even if the bike just sits.

Thanks for this.  I'm probably more likely to be due to change the oil due to time intervals at this point.

I just didn't want to take the bike to the dealer for the next oil change at 1600 miles and have him do the 3000 mile checkup that includes some fairly major work - work that he said he would be doing at the "next" service which according to him would be at 1600 miles.
DT300i

jmwood1968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
Oils cheap Rotella 15/40 change it regular an change it often scooter takes less than 1 quart. No oil with a volume of less than 1 quart was designed 3000 miles.
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
Yes follow the manual, manufactures pay lots of money for engineers to figure this out, testing motors like no one else does and history no group has access to.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Thanks for this.  I'm probably more likely to be due to change the oil due to time intervals at this point.

I just didn't want to take the bike to the dealer for the next oil change at 1600 miles and have him do the 3000 mile checkup that includes some fairly major work - work that he said he would be doing at the "next" service which according to him would be at 1600 miles.
Dear Maggie,
2 points:
1) This California scooter dealer offers a video to show you how to change your oil, and also offers to personally show you how to change your oil....so, they are not trying to hit you up for service fees. They just want you to change your oil frequently!
2) Folks, that engine is battling away under your rump with only a quart of oil in its bloodstream! A quart. Cruising at 6,000 RPM's with 4 cups of oil splashing around in there to keep itself alive. If the oil is lucky it is inside of a water cooled engine - otherwise in aircooled engines (like mine) it not only lubricates all those rampaging parts, but it also is tasked with providing some cooling to them. A quart.
C) You can do an oil change with a pair of rusty pliers, the cat's water bowl and your brother-in-laws old T-shirt.
4) All you need is 15 mins. and a quart of oil.......
E) It costs less than a pack of smokes, and doing the oil changes will help you bond with this wonderful little machine.
6) On behalf of your scooter's engine I ask : "Why are you trying to sort out how infequently you have to touch me?"

A mechanic asked this question: "Why would you want to constantly run any machine at its maximum capacity? Why?"
This CA dealer seems to ask: "Why would you want to leave oil in a scooter past 1000 miles?" (and this is in balmy So.Cal. - short rides in cold weather adds even more junk to your oil.)
My manual says not to overtighten the "blots" when changing the oils. So, it obviously ain't Rocket Science.
Hug your engine frequently with a $6 oil change.
IMHO-Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
I never follow a manual... Experience tells you when and how to do things... manuals are guides for the average person... I changed my oil on day1...Why? because I don't trust "factory oil"... I opened the CVT after 500 kilometers..Why? because I had a hunch it was dirty in there... and so on and so forth...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
Good post, Stig.

Leaving the break in oil for the specified period of time is important.  After that change it change it and change it, often.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »
Lots of folks tell a new scooter owner a lot of stuff about oil changes, etc.
If you are a new scooter owner - please read what this respected shop in Santa Barbara, CA, has to say about scooters and oil changes.

Copied from www.ootyscooters.com
Santa Barbara, CA
805-965-8101
....and wouldn't it be nice if we all had So. Cal. weather and scooter shops like this!!
Stig

Hey Stig you've been spending time over on "The Dark Side" forum. That's ootys hangout.......LOL
Yes its great to have quality shops close by. In fortunate I have great support very close.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
Dear Maggie,
2 points:
1) This California scooter dealer offers a video to show you how to change your oil, and also offers to personally show you how to change your oil....so, they are not trying to hit you up for service fees. They just want you to change your oil frequently!
2) Folks, that engine is battling away under your rump with only a quart of oil in its bloodstream! A quart. Cruising at 6,000 RPM's with 4 cups of oil splashing around in there to keep itself alive. If the oil is lucky it is inside of a water cooled engine - otherwise in aircooled engines (like mine) it not only lubricates all those rampaging parts, but it also is tasked with providing some cooling to them. A quart.
C) You can do an oil change with a pair of rusty pliers, the cat's water bowl and your brother-in-laws old T-shirt.
4) All you need is 15 mins. and a quart of oil.......
E) It costs less than a pack of smokes, and doing the oil changes will help you bond with this wonderful little machine.
6) On behalf of your scooter's engine I ask : "Why are you trying to sort out how infequently you have to touch me?"

A mechanic asked this question: "Why would you want to constantly run any machine at its maximum capacity? Why?"
This CA dealer seems to ask: "Why would you want to leave oil in a scooter past 1000 miles?" (and this is in balmy So.Cal. - short rides in cold weather adds even more junk to your oil.)
My manual says not to overtighten the "blots" when changing the oils. So, it obviously ain't Rocket Science.
Hug your engine frequently with a $6 oil change.
IMHO-Stig

My father taught me how to change the oil in my car - when I was young.  And I did change it in both my car and my motorcycle.  But,  I don't do it myself any more.  Since the scooter will be sitting for the next few months, I probably will change the oil myself before I get it on the road again in the Srping, even if the miles are way under what the schedule calls for.

I just don't think that a company like Kymco would advise changing the oil every 3000 miles and not more often, if that would harm the machine.

for what it's worth, I change the oil on my 1999 VW TDI every 5000 miles and it has 164,000 miles on it and is running strong.  I hope stating this doesn't jinx that.   :)
DT300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
My LIKE 200i manual has this schedule:

Eng. Oil       200           600              1,800            3,000            4,200            5,400            6,600
Gear Oil       200                              1,800                                4,200                                 6,600
Air Filter                                          1,800                                4,200                                 6,600
Valve Adj.    200                              1,800                                4,200                                 6,600
Brake Fluid                                                                                                   5,400

However, I am a simple man.
I need a simpler plan - now that I'm passed that confusing break-in period.
I need to be able to go by the numbers on my speedo, without digging out my manual from under the seat.
So, I do the oil at 1,000 mile increments on the speedo and the gears at 1,500 mile increments.
Do the valves and airfilter now at least once a year and the brake fuild replacement every 2 years.
(I checked the valves 3 times in the first 2,500 miles and the airfilter once this summer. Both were fine, I adjusted I think one valve. So, have scheduled things with them accordingly.)

And, if it's cold or I need to touch my scoot some more - I'll do everything twice as often!(when it's raining - I'll do the engine and gear oils together, AND adjust the valves! I just won't announce it here - so I don't catch flak! {and yes, it is spelled w/o the "c")
Yep Maggie, VW's last a long time if you change the oil and don't abuse them. I was somewhere considerably North of 175,000 miles (the speedo blew) when the underside of my 1989 Jetta began to depart in a Big Way - and my mechanic said he needed @$1000 to make my $400 car roadworthy again. That engine is still ticking over somewhere in N. America (sold it on www.thesamba.com) - I asked for the keys back and I took that same one thousand $ down to the scooter store and threw it down on this LIKE 200iLX - and have been grinning ever since, even though, in 24 yrs that (German made) VW never let me down. Can't speak for these new VW's, where the assembly and parts come from South Of The Border - and Way The H___ South Of The Border.
I expect the same good service out of my Kymco - by changing the oils frequently and by not running it in the prone position.
Stig
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:09:21 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 01:03:04 AM »
My father taught me how to change the oil in my car - when I was young.  And I did change it in both my car and my motorcycle.  But,  I don't do it myself any more.  Since the scooter will be sitting for the next few months, I probably will change the oil myself before I get it on the road again in the Srping, even if the miles are way under what the schedule calls for.

I just don't think that a company like Kymco would advise changing the oil every 3000 miles and not more often, if that would harm the machine.

for what it's worth, I change the oil on my 1999 VW TDI every 5000 miles and it has 164,000 miles on it and is running strong.  I hope stating this doesn't jinx that.   :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:23:18 AM »
I'm way past my adolescence - so, I'm not reading this.
"Planned adolescence?" .....is this by the Planned Parenthood folks?
What. They want to get rid of teenagers?
Well, I can't go in for that - a good many of them will turn out to be normal human beings. Maybe.

Some are strange, it's true. Hear about the kid who named her dog, "Carl".
See what I mean.
Mine are all keepers.
Still.....
Ride safe.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »

I'm way past my adolescence - so, I'm not reading this.
"Planned adolescence?" .....is this by the Planned Parenthood folks?
What. They want to get rid of teenagers?
Well, I can't go in for that - a good many of them will turn out to be normal human beings. Maybe.

Some are strange, it's true. Hear about the kid who named her dog, "Carl".
See what I mean.
Mine are all keepers.
Still.....
Ride safe.
Stig

For our non-reader.   :D

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()