Author Topic: just bought mine first scooter few questions  (Read 2949 times)

xeddie75x

• View Profile
just bought mine first scooter few questions
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
hi just bought mine first scooter its a 2012 kymco agility 50 for $999 with only 160km on it. anyway when they drop it off I look under the sit and found the old boss with the lip on it and a number 82 jet so I guess they switch them out already . so I took it it for a ride its about 42degres out side I went on a long straight road hit about 38 or so but took a long time to get there and when I go up hills it craws maybe 10 to 15 mph. so I thought maybe I needed a new cdi so I order a red one says racing cdi dc off ebay. put it on now mine electric starter didn't work right like the battery was dead so I kick start it took a ride n still slowww up hills and takes forever to hit 38 to 40 so mine question could the cold weather be the problem or wrong cdi box?

Resolve

• View Profile
Re: just bought mine first scooter few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
When you say slow to hit 38 what do you mean?  like it took a minute or so or like it took 10 mile.  also is that verified speed or based on speedometer?

My verified GPS average is about 38mph.  it can take longer than a car to get up to 38 versus a car since these are little 50cc engines.  but normally for me say about a block or so to get to that speed from dead stop with no traffic slowing me up.

as for the hill part that sounds a little off. but depends on the amount of incline.  my slowest though from full speed is I dropped to about 30 on a decent incline.

and finally yes weather can play a big part.  I found out colder temps mine is a little more sluggish mainly because cold air is denser so more air and still same fuel.  my scoot with the 85 jet put in by dealer does great on high 80s low 90s days (which is my average in florida).  but colder than that the power isn't there as much takes longer to get to speed but once there seems fine

xeddie75x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »
yeah it says 38 to 40 on the speedometer . my friend has a stock zuma 50cc 4t and he can hit 40 n no time . I rode his I stop n the middle of a hill then started again pull easy on mine scooter it will pull but maybe like 5mph idunno maybe its the cold weather guess gota wait till spring

xeddie75x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
I notice if I used the racing cdi I can't use mine starter it kranks like the battery is dead now if I put the stock cdi in it k ranks just fine hmm

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
if 40 on the speedo, then either they corrected the speedo calibration on newer scooters or the scooter is still restricted somehow.  Only reason I say this is my scooter is derestricted but the speedo is not calibrated correctly and it reflects about 45 when I am in fact doing like 40.

so if they didn't correct the speedo then based on 40 you are actually doing about 35 which sounds restricted to me.  have you done plug chops to make sure that you are bruning the right richness in fuel.  with the colder denser air you MAY need a bigger fuel jet.  just a thought not necissarily the answer.

other than that without looking at the scooter I am not sure right off hand. 

They stock cdi has it been cut for the derestriction?  Do you know what size jet is in the carb now? have you looked at the drive boss to confirm that it is not restricted?

xeddie75x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
there where a little bag under the sit with the old boss in it n a 82 number jet. I tried to cut the stock cdi but felt the same so bought a new one off ebay but when I installed it my electric starter cranks like the battery is dead but if I put the stock cdi back in cranks just fine. I didn't do any plug chops yet just had a snow storm probey gona be a few weeks till I ride it again

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Sounds to me like the stock CDI is not derestricted (not sure about 2012 A50 CDIs though, may come non-restricted) and the new 'racing' CDI is not compatible with an A50. Thus why the scoot doesn't reach over 38mph indicated and why the starter doesnt work with the new CDI. My A50 reached an indicated 45 with just derestricted stock CDI and derestricted boss. If your drive boss and jet are derestricted then this is what is holding you back.
Also when you derestrict a scoot you have to retune your CVT. You will probably want 5.5g roller weights along with a stronger torque spring (such as 1500rpm spring). If you read around through this forum this is what many people find to work as the best set up for a derestricted A50.
The stronger torque spring helps the scoot maintain speed uphill by raising the RPMs inside the powerband. The lighter 5.5g weights (stock 6.5g) helps the scooter accelerate much faster by keeping the RPMs higher right in the powerband of the scoot.

Read around this forum to see if the 2012 CDIs come restricted or unrestricted. Also this problem could be caused by clogged air filter or valves that are not at the correct valve clearance.

Also my A50 is a 2009. So i used this video:

Again I would make sure the CDI doesnt come unrestricted before doing this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:32:45 PM by Smithg27 »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
the 82 jet you found should be in the carb. Dont think they changed that yet.to get the best out of the scoot you need the cdi box cut and the 82 jet in and a flat drive boss. and for faster take off lighter rollers try 5 or 5.5 gram rollers.

stoneboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
A quick question: the way to saw CDI box in the video. Does it apply to all the models of Agility 50? Mine is 2013 model. I have mine de-restricted at the dealer ship. They did not modify the CDI box as shown in the video. All they did is to use a sander to smoothen the edge of the short side of the CDI box. I am still not sure if they did it correctly, as my top speed on the flat road is only 35 mile per hour.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »
Where they sanded it is there a wire exposed and is it cut?  Mine is a 2011 and my dealer started sanding the corner and there is no wire and then in the center of the CDI on the opposite eide from the plug they sanded down to the wire and then cut it.  I can clearely see the cut wire.

if the box doesn't have a cut wire then doubt it is derestricted :)

stoneboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
Do you remember the color of the wire when your dealer was cutting it? I saw a blue wire exposed when I cut mine like in the youtube video. Mine is 2013.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
I don't remember right off hand.  I can check this weekend.  unfortunately it's to dark for me to do anything by time I get home during the week

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »
I went on a long straight road hit about 38 or so but took a long time to get there and when I go up hills it craws maybe 10 to 15 mph. so I thought maybe I needed a new cdi so I order a red one says racing cdi dc off ebay. put it on now mine electric starter didn't work right like the battery was dead so I kick start it took a ride n still slowww up hills and takes forever to hit 38 to 40 so mine question could the cold weather be the problem or wrong cdi box?

Both.  Your unrestricted 50cc will do about 38mph.  That's all.  If you changed the CDI and it's worse, it's not for a Kymco.  There's maybe a half-dozen different CDIs for Chinese scooters, and they all fit, but none of them will work unless they're sold specifically for Kymco.  Unrestricted CDIs for Kymcos are expensive, about #30-$40, since they're not a popular CDI. There's all kinds of technical electronic tests to see if a aftermarket unrestricted CDI will work on your scooter but the easiest way is to ask the vendor if it'll work on a Kymco.  They're mostly honest people and won't sell you the wrong CDI.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:40:36 PM by JJJoseph »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()