Author Topic: Gear oil  (Read 3521 times)

ispud

• View Profile
Gear oil
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
Any recommendations for gear oil for 2009 ps250?  The owners manual says SAE #90.  What do you use?

:)>>

axy

• View Profile
Re: Gear oil
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
Any recommendations for gear oil for 2009 ps250?  The owners manual says SAE #90.  What do you use?

Any. Gearbox oil ins cooter is not under heavy strain so any SAE 90 will do. Do not waste time overanalyzing...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »
but...but....but....

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
but...but....but....

...but if you want to feel particulary good, buy the most expensive one, preferably synthetic or polymer based. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

DEPeople

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
I used Royal Purple, and I really did feel great about it  :D

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
Changed it this morning - it looked pretty nasty - metal looking grit in it - I used the cheap regular stuff.  10 minutes latter the UPS guy shows up with the expensive gear oil I ordered from AF1 Racing - will use it next time.  Now its adjust the valve clearance project - hard for me to believe you have to do that after 300k.  Now I am worried about warranty issues if I do my own work - which I would like to.

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:22 AM »
I use Amsoil synthetic. It doesn't aeiate, so if you slightly overfill (see much earlier post -3-4 mo ago) this gear oil will not try to puke into your airbox. And it will handle heat much better, and not break down as fast. I would think the Royal Purple synthetic is also an excellent product. When it takes so little why not use something that will give you more piece of mind.

Dion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »
(I posted this on the thread about using engine oil in the rear reduction drive - oops. I think it belongs here.)

An observation - 90w gear lube is pretty difficult to find in the US. I tried both a standard type Multi vis 75 / 85 and a Synthetic 75 / 90 w (Mobil 1) and kept loosing lube between changes. Performance deteriorated, I changed to Dr Pulley sliders and an Athena Kevlar belt.

Performance kept going down.

Finally I found that Lucas is selling a standard blend gear lube, multi Vis in an 80 / 140w configuration and I splurged 8.50 US for it. At first, it ran a tad on the stiff side. Then after a few hundred km, everything seemed to click, noise level went down, performance went way up and gas mileage was again approaching 68 mpg.

Happy - Satisfied.

Prior to this, I had noticed a huge build up of black greasy residue inside the transmission case - partial belt dust but really oily. I cleaned it out with brake clean and added about 1 cc of Brake fluid to the final drive, pushed the bike around for about 40 km of riding, then changed to the Lucas gear lube.

It seems the lighter weight lube, could / would / did push pass the seal on the clutch side of the drive and it started to weep into the belt / transmission case. This fouled everything and I was constanly loosing about half my gear lube at every change.  The Brake fluid will expand the seals back to where they should be. I've used this trick on fork seals when I lived in the SW deserts and in Australia ... otherwise you end up replacing them two or three times a year. The trick is to only use it for a short time, the seals swell up - then drain the lube and replace it with the heavier lube.

If someone can counter this - as to why I shouldn't use this heavier lube - let me know. Please!

Dion

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
Excelent post, and tip w/ the brake fluid. I have been doing the same since 1974. It can get you through three or four seal changes, Synthetic's ALWAYS perform better. They are designed to. As to the weight issue... I believe it is a NON issue
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()