Author Topic: CC Honesty  (Read 2489 times)

donandrews

• View Profile
CC Honesty
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:20:26 AM »
Closing out the year with a frustrated complaint. Looking to start 2014 with something a tad bit faster than my Like 200. Prefer an "honest" 200cc machine, but hard to find by looking at the ones that are labeled as "200" (including my Like, which is a terrific scoot.)  250 is a bit heavy for my compromised lower legs.
Any recommendations from those of you who are, or have ridden, "real" 200's?
Thanks and Happy New Year.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

jmwood1968

• View Profile
Re: CC Honesty
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
I haven't seen any true 200cc scooters without jumping up sizes. SYMs 200cc is 173 actual cc. I dont even think vespa still makes a 200cc.
Honda doesnt even make a 200cc. But I have riden the new honda pcx150 an it has more GO than my super 8 150.
The Like 200 only has 14cc more than my super8 150.
The Honda actually has 153cc which is 10cc less than the like. But honda has a tendency to gear things different so that might be an option.
But of course the "Honda Badge" on the front drives the price up.
Good luck!
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »
Thanks for the info jmwod1968. I am giving some serious thought to one of the SYM 200 models because their extra cc's make them about 10 mph faster. However neither are fuel injected and my Like has spoiled me on that - along with being an excellent town scoot for coming and going to work. She would be hard to get rid of. Maybe I'll just let my buddies ride ahead while I enjoy my Like and smell the roses. Besides hitting the pavement at 55 or 60mph is fast enough! I don't need an extra 5 or 10 mph if I do that.

2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:00:57 AM »
I was going to suggest the SYM HD200 as well. It might be 171cc's, but @ 15.3HP it might as well be a 200cc scoot. At $3499.00 it's an excellent buy IMHO. It would be over the top if it had FI. There is always the Genuine Blur 220 & the Kymco GT200i. The GT200i IMHO is priced way too high, but with it being discontinued in the US, you might find a good deal somewhere.

The build quality of your Like 200i vs. the SYM HD200 is night & day in favor of SYM. The fit & finish & the plastics are much better then the Like. I have a Super 8 150cc I leave @ my parents home in Florida & I want to sell it & pick-up a HD200. I must admit I'm not overly impressed with the fit & finish of my Super 8. It's runs great, but the have panels that don't line-up perfectly, paint overruns, turn signals that are off kilter etc. Good luck in your search.   
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the input MassScoot. My local SYM dealer does not have either 200 in stock. He is also our Kymco dealer. I don't want to commit to anything without at least sitting on it and would really prefer a test ride to compare not only the two SYMs, but with my Like as well. He won't order one unless I commit to buying it, so we have a stand off. Guess we'll see whether he wants to sell one more than i want to buy it.
SYM will have to go some to beat the fit and finish on my Like. It's the best put together plastic scooter I have seen. Perhaps Kymco has improved its quality control?
Yes FI would be a great improvement. And the additional 4 horses more than my Like would be just what I want. My only experience with a carburetor was as 50 cc 2 stroke Binelli. Had to sit in the driveway for at least two minutes to warm up. Was a long time to listen to an idling 2 stroke!
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
Kymco Racing King 180cc

175.1 cc, fuel injected, liquid cooled, triple disc brakes. inverted forks, etc....  My friend in Taiwan had the 150cc variant and tops 83 mph... I don't know what this 180 can do...

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
Hey Don, you could always go up to Portland  and check out Columbia Scooters and Vespa of Portland. They are Kymco and Sym dealers that keep a lot more inventory on the floor so you could see, sit and compare. I have actually seen the HD 200 at a shop here in Salem but it went belly up when Sym's distributor had a financial meltdown a couple of years ago. The HD200 is a nice bike with a good rep from owners  but I wanted a "classic style " scooter so I bought the Like. The HD is also liquid cooled which I did not want due to the extra complexity.

Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
I'm of the opinion of, We always want more, who ever wants less? When I had my 50cc spree I said if I could only get 40 MPH out of her I could ride more safe in city traffic. Now with my people's 200 I can hit a highway for a short stamp and want an extra 10 MPH just so I don't have to worry about being too slow while on the highway. I'm sure if I had a scoot that did a true 65 MPH I'd want one that could curise at 65 MPH without putting a strain on the bike. and so the story goes.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:28:47 AM »
Hello Don,
Folks have made some good points here.
EFI is great (but no back up kick start)
Water cooled is reported to give longer engine life, better engine temps when cruising, even some heat to the rider on some (but comes with a lot more parts to go wrong or leak)
SYM 200's have a great reputation, and they have the big wheels (but would it be enough extra horses over the LIKE to cruise "comfortably")

Take your time. Think it over. Replacing the LIKE, or buying it a buddy, is not a bad thing.
Put your slippers on, make a nice cuppa'....and read thru some scooter forums (SYM, Vespa, etc.).
Plan a trip to go and at least sit on the ones you are interested in.
Buying a new scoot is a good thing!
Enjoy yourself. You know which ones are the good scoots....make certain you get the engine size you want and the color you like! (you can be a patient shopper since you like your present scooter!)
Good for you - and please keep us posted (with pics).
Regards, Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:25:01 AM »
Thanks guys for all the advice. It's all good and I'll take it to heart. I keep having to tell myself that maybe I just have a case of "two-footitis". I'm told this is what boat owners suffer from because they are always wanting a boat that is two feet longer.
Will let you know if I find the cure.
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
not a true 200cc but
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
I suggest you try an Aprillia Scarabeo 200.
180cc
19 hp

My wife bought one about three years ago. It has been a good scoot.
I weigh 195 lbs. and it pulls me around good. It is a joy to ride and is smooth.
If I remember correctly, I had it to 80 on the speedo one time. Actual speed was probably 70-75.

These can be had at decent prices, used, with low miles.

The only draw back is lack of "Piaggio/Vespa/Aprillia" dealerships in most areas.

If you have a shop in your area that will work on different scoots, most any part can be purchased from AF1 in Texas.

I don`t BS people. This is a nice scoot.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:20:48 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »
I suggest you try an Aprillia Scarabeo 200.
180cc
19 hp

My wife bought one about three years ago. It has been a good scoot.
I weigh 195 lbs. and it pulls me around good. It is a joy to ride and is smooth.
If I remember correctly, I had it to 80 on the speedo one time. Actual speed was probably 70-75.

These can be had at decent prices, used, with low miles.

The only draw back is lack of "Piaggio/Vespa/Aprillia" dealerships in most areas.

If you have a shop in your area that will work on different scoots, most any part can be purchased from AF1 in Texas.

I don`t BS people. This is a nice scoot.
That is a beautiful scoot.
I spent some time looking at one at the Sea Hags in Florida.
I love that big wheel look....but have no idea what size motor it was.

You get one of these Italian beauties Don, I'll help you wax it!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:46 AM »
Any recommendations from those of you who are, or have ridden, "real" 200's?

I loved my Triumph Tigress (250cc twin) because it was light and could cruise easily at 70mph.  But, alas, it went out of production and almost impossible to find parts for one nowadays :-( 

I'd love to find a flat-floor 200cc+ on the market today.  Almost everything available has a hump-floor, which is totally useless for doing chores.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:56 AM »
Hey Don, you could always go up to Portland  and check out Columbia Scooters and Vespa of Portland. They are Kymco and Sym dealers that keep a lot more inventory on the floor so you could see, sit and compare. I have actually seen the HD 200 at a shop here in Salem but it went belly up when Sym's distributor had a financial meltdown a couple of years ago. The HD200 is a nice bike with a good rep from owners  but I wanted a "classic style " scooter so I bought the Like. The HD is also liquid cooled which I did not want due to the extra complexity.

Len

Hello Big Blue
Stopped by the Vespa dealer on Vaughn St. in Portland on my way to Seattle last Friday. He does have a nice selection of Vespas and was great person to talk to. I took a long look at the V's. They are truly beautiful and truly overpriced. He has a silver SYM HD also. He said a Russian couple bought it used on the East coast when they were not able to rent a car and road it across the US. Had 3000 miles when they bought it and 8000 now. It's in excellent condition, but not red. Otherwise I would consider it. Asking $2500, but I think he would deal.
He said that he would have HD's and GTs's this spring, so guess I'll be taking another trip north then.
Thanks for the info.
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
Hey Don, Glad you were able to get to Vespa Portland. They are quite knowledgeable about their product lines and always have lots of stock. I agree about the Vespas they are quite beautiful but the prices are just nuts. The phrase that you mentioned earlier about "two-footitis" has a similar term in the world of amateur astronomy. It's called "aperture fever" since the scope you have is not quite big enough. By the way the fellow I worked with is Mike O'Conner.

Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()