Author Topic: tire replacement time  (Read 5911 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
tire replacement time
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:17:50 AM »
Well.... I got on the scoot xmas day and barely got 500 feet when that dreaded "oh no! whats goin on here?" reared its ugly head. Pulled over and a quick eyball check of the rear tire....""Yeppers, them's a belt I be a seein pokin thru!" So I figured why not replace them both. Got 7500 miles out of the Maxxis factory issued pair so I am happy with  that. But second set of tires I am going with are Metzelers FeelFree from Dennis Kirk, both tires shipped to my door for about 150 USD.

Now for all of you who bought the DT 300i service manual online, are you like me and wondering "why do they only give us steps 1,3,5,7...etc etc?" Seems like they leave out steps 2,4,6.8.....etc etc. But for the price, I have found the online manual to be a major help and after I do each procedure for the first time I realize why they are not more detailed about their manual. Once you do anything on your bike, it will always be a piece of cake from that time on, providing your memory doesnt fail you, and at my age thats a likely possibility. The manual leaves out quite a few steps but if you accept that going in, you will game plan your repair and you will learn.

Now on to the tires. I wont go into the front tire removal because its simple and straight forward, nothing to "figure out". As for the rear......

To start off with, remove the seat and tub (do this for any repair regardless whether or not the "manual" suggests it, except the front end. It just makes everything easier). DONT FORGET the lil pop out rivet holding the seat underneath. Just press the center of the rivet in with a  screwdriver until you hear it "pop", then with your fingernails pull it out. Once seat and tub are removed find the O2 sensor and remove it from the muffler. Then remove rear fender well. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.  Then remove the shock. Manual says unhook it from the fork only but unless you remove it completely, you'll never get the wheel off the spindle. It takes a 14mm. Once again having the tub out of the way is a godsend. Now remove exhaust system, two long nuts hold it at the block and three bolts secure it to the fork/frame. Dont lose the exhaust gasket that is located between block and pipe. Manual says replace but its made of metal and unless its deformed or broken, you can re-use the gasket. Then remove 2 screws holding brake line to fork. Remove bolts holding brake caliper in place and remove from brake hub. loosen the 2 front bolts of the fork. If you have an impact, here's where you'll need it, if not, get a 1x1x12'' piece of wood and put it between fork and rear wheel spoke and use as a stop to break the 24mm nut loose from the spindle. Give the breakover bar a good whack with a dead blow to break it loose. Now remove the front 2 bolts and then the nut from the back and pull off fork. There is a collar that is located on the spindle. Make note of direction though I seriously doubt the install would be possibe if it were installed backwards. Now pull off wheel, being very careful not to damage spline of spindle. Just for safety sake, before taking wheel in for tire replacement, remove brake disc plate. You never know what kind of person will be working on your wheel so better to not have it there. Naturally install is the exact reverse of removal. It seems like a lot of work but it took me less than 5 hours from start to getting tire installed on wheel to putting it all back together. I expect it will go faster the next time. I will report back about the tires in a few weeks to a month. Also installed a new plug and though I only tested it for about an hour today I could tell the difference right off the bat. Some say a plug change is useless...I say otherwise.

RubenC

• View Profile
Re: tire replacement time
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:04:13 AM »
Hey Moparkid,

I switched several months ago to Metzeler Feelfree tires from Pirelli Diablo,  Please look under New Tires for my Downtown.  I really like the way the tires feel and ride.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:50 AM »
I switched last week  to Metzeler Feelfree tires from Diablo and im a firm believer in Diablo's

zenith9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »
Got stuck into getting to the rear wheel today to get the tyre replaced.

I'm down to the rear fork which I think should just slide off to give me access to the wheel.
I have all the bolts removed, including the 24mm wheel nut.

The fork is still stuck fast at the point of the axle.
I've tried to lever the fork off but it's on pretty tight!

Just wondering if I'm missing something or is it just a case of persisting with it to try and encourage it off?!

Thanks!

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
I got Metzeller Feel Free too... Waaaay better... Or I became a way better driver (but I don't think so)

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

I went for the city grip rear and power pure on the front seem to work well,.   

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:10:30 AM »
Got stuck into getting to the rear wheel today to get the tyre replaced.

If you have all the bolts removed from the rear fork it should pull off...maybe a few taps with a deadblow or rubber mallet and then you can get the wheel off of the spindle.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 03:03:46 AM »
Someone on here mentioned removing the muffler. Tried that last tire time and it works great! That side plate was a bear the first time: had to use two puller legs like pry bars and it eased off nicely. Got it off the second time with fingers. Have Metzlers front and rear and am happy.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 03:37:34 AM »
I used a dead blow hammer rubber face a couple of shots and it moved off,
  and I removed the muffler only, not the pipe, 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:39:44 AM by de dee »

zenith9

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
Thanks for all for the responses, very much appreciated!

I've removed all the bolts facing out and have followed Cyclepedia manual in doing so, so I guess it should loosen up with a few taps of the rubber hammer.

I was just wondering if there was something else at the back that I was missing:
Quote from: moparkid
Now remove the front 2 bolts and then the nut from the back and pull off fork.

Got the 24mm wheelnut off relatively pain free and then the last 2 bolts on the very right hand side of the fork, as per picture.
Not sure what the nut from the back relates to though...

Having said that, I should find out fairly quickly whether the hammer will loosen it up!

I also removed the muffler to gain access. I ended up having to hacksaw off the exhaust clamp but it required replacing anyway and a lot more straight-forward than the alternative!

On the subject of tyres, I've replaced the Diablo with another purely to match the Diablo on the front. I've been happy with them so far so found no reason to change.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
Nut from the back I was referring to is the spindle nut...sorry for the confusion.

zenith9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »
Someone on here mentioned removing the muffler. Tried that last tire time and it works great! That side plate was a bear the first time: had to use two puller legs like pry bars and it eased off nicely. Got it off the second time with fingers. Have Metzlers front and rear and am happy.

Karl

Hey Karl, I'm assuming when you say side plate you are referring to the piece of black frame in front of the brake disc.

I cannot get it to budge at all! I've tried levering it off with spanners between it and the inside of the brake disc. I've tried the rubber hammer but can't get a good angle to strike it from behind in the direction it needs to go to come off.

I've enlisted some help to see if two people trying to lever it off might work! I can't understand where the resistance is coming from, I thought the muffler would be the hardest part of the job, especially when videos of rear tyre removal just show the piece of frame simply sliding off with minimal effort!

I'm going to try and persist with it for another hour or so before I consider putting it all back together and bringing to mechanic.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »
Zee, you are correct about the sideplate: it is like the right half of a swing arm for the rear wheel. That plate is where the right hand wheel bearing is located. The clearance for the bearing outer race is a really fine slip fit. It is not an interference fit requiring some considerable force to remove. It should just slide off but never does especially on first removal. However, it requires the plate come STRAIGHT OFF. This is tough because ya can't get any kind of a puller on it. Ya kinda have to "worry" it off with a gentle pry on one side then the other when you detect microscopic movement. Once it starts, it comes right off and will practically fall off the next time. The watchword is it does not take a lot of force to get it going, it takes gentle finesse.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:26 AM »
I think I am going to replace the factory maxxis tires on the DT. Michelin or metzeler!! Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »
Going to changed the factory maxxis tires on the DT. Michelin or metzeler? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()