Author Topic: tire replacement time  (Read 5910 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: tire replacement time
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »
Can't get Metzelers here in Malaysia, but I've been thru the Michelin Pilot Pure SC over the past 22,000kms. 

I am still on my 1st front, and 3rd rear. Each rear I get about 10,000km out of it. That's past the wear indicator to just barely having any thread left.

To be honest, they aren't confident inspiring but holds a good line in the corners in the dry. Wet, the rear tends to slip a little if you're not careful.

Going to changed the factory maxxis tires on the DT. Michelin or metzeler? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
Thanks, kneeslider. I was leaning towards the metzeler feel free, they are a little pricey but got good reviews. Thanks again

- Rich

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
I put Metzelers on the old DT and they were such a VAST improvement over the Maxxis I would recommend them. However, there are so many on this forum using Michelins and raving about them that I would seriously consider them. I think Michelin has a harder compound in the center of the rear tire for better wear but cannot seem to confirm. Additionally, the Michelins may offer a radial but cannot confirm that either. Read the rain reports on here to decide on that.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
Yes the Michelin s do come in a radial, but not in our size.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
I'm with Dunlop scootsmart front and rear, seriously better than the standard maxxis IMHO.
I did have city grip on my old scoot, aprilia Atlantic 500, I only got about 5000 miles on the rear, I think it may have been down to the weight of the scoot, she was rather heavy!!! (unlike me!!)  ;D ;D ;D
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
I do not do much in the way of wet riding but the stock tires seem to have served well so far. I have over 6,000 miles on them and they are still holding out.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
Ok, I bought the metzeler feel free for front and rear. I ordered them yesterday afternoon and got them today!!!!! Damn, I love Amazon.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »
They are for the Dt300, not my Lance Venice, in the picture.

deedah37

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 11:59:14 PM »
I know  a couple people have moved to the feel free's from the Pirelli Diablo, I haven't tried them yet. I just replaced some Maxxis tires on my Downtown with the Pirelli Diablo's and they are excellent in handling and traction on this bike.

I have gone through about 5 rears on my Burgman 400 of the Diablo's same size as the downtown and I can't speak highly enough about them as far as performance. They do wear faster than other tires I have had...but are cheap enough to not really care.

Since several people speak highly of the Metzers I will probably try a set of them, but you can't go wrong stability, traction or fun wise with the Pirelli's. Plan on about 15% shorter life though.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:08:13 AM by deedah37 »

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
As soon as I get them mounted and balanced, I will ride some and write a quick review. I was pretty confident on the maxxis' , can't wait to try these out.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
I replaced the Maxxis right away with Michelin Pilot Pure SC. Have used them in light snow and they do just fine. Like someone else said the they do have a slight slide in weet but just slow down like you should anyways and its a none issue.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »
I had the metzelers installed last night. Took about 2 hours . They charged me $100. I'm happy with that, considering most auto mechanics in the NY area get $100 or more per hour.Plus I got to go to my 9 year old sons spring concert. That's priceless!! Seriously, for $100, I have peace of mind that I'll be safer and they were done right.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
I had the metzelers installed last night. Took about 2 hours . They charged me $100. I'm happy with that, considering most auto mechanics in the NY area get $100 or more per hour.Plus I got to go to my 9 year old sons spring concert. That's priceless!! Seriously, for $100, I have peace of mind that I'll be safer and they were done right.

Good for you!
For all the right reasons !
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

deedah37

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 04:56:10 AM »
This post is semi out of location, but I feel pertinent so hopefully you all don't gig me for that.

I very recently posted that I put Pirelli Diablo's on my Downtown and have used these tires on other scooters to great success. I may not have mentioned that I own a People 300GTi as well as my downtown and I picked up a nail a few days ago in the rear.

Luckily I was at my groups clubhouse and we recently purchased a tire changing machine and spin balancer. The only thing I needed was some tires. Well you all have been talking so positive about these Metzeler Feel Frees I decided to go ahead and put them this bike. Even though its not a fair comparison since the bikes are so different in center of gravity and diameter of tire.

So I have had them on for several days now and I can confirm the Feel Frees on the PEOPLE are very stable grip well and don't seem to have much "Line Groove" drift from those lines they cut into the highways in so many places.

The Diablo did a little better on that highly grooved super-slab, but the Feel Free's did well. The Diablo's still perform better in the curves. I do have a great respect for the Metzelers so far...they are just different...If they hold up better than the Pirreli's (which it would be shocking if they didn't) they may still be a more viable tire for many. Pirelli's are certainly cheaper in this instance, but that may be because the PEOPLE has 16" tires versus the 13/14 n the DT.

I will post some more review on the tires in a week or so after a long trip down to US129 The Dragon in two weeks with the club.

P.S. If anyone is interested in meeting up down at the Dragon or riding down together let me know.

Deedah/Aaron

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
Tire Update!! I've put about 200 miles on the new metzeler feel free's. So far I am very pleased with them. Let me just say, I didn't hate the stock Maxxis, only changed them because they started showing signs of cracking ( dry rot). A few "bikers " I know, said I could've left a little longer, but I'm not one to wait around and have something catastrophic happen (blowout at 65mph). The grip on the metzeler's is excellent and taking turns and corners is a breeze.I can't make a longevity comparison, the Maxxis had plenty of tread left, after 4 years, but when I bought it, only had 600 miles on them. I put about 1200 miles on.The scooter sat for quite some time,before I got it. So all in all, I love the feel free's,so far.I'll just have to wait and see how many miles or years, I get out of them.
  I can promise you this... I won't have to change them ,due to letting the scooter sit and the tires getting dry- rot

- Rich

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()