Author Topic: Ran out of gas!  (Read 3727 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Ran out of gas!
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
If you guys read my post about my broken fuel gauge (re: Vivo needs help), this is a continuation... Well, like I previously said, I will check my tank float supposedly tomorrow... but my full tank eight days ago did not last a full eight days... I was really confident that I will make it to the office today and fill up later after office ... I checked the fuel last night and it "looked" ok... Anyway, on our way to work, the scoot stopped about 150 meters where I will drop off my wife (whew!) That was close otherwise she would have gotten mad... Anyway, there I was, very early in the morning, on the street far from the next gas station... I asked around where I can buy gas because the nearest gas station is far... one man pointed me to a shanty selling gasoline (by the 1 liter soda bottle) to local taxis but when I got there, it was still closed... dang! I had to push my scoot to the gas station... I pushed for around 200 meters when a cop (on a Kymco) saw me... he approached and asked what happened ... I told him I was out of gas... he then offered help.. he told me to get on my scoot while he push the end of the pipe with his boot until he gets me to the gas station... As we approached the station, I free-wheeled in while he went on his way... Waved to each other and had my scoot filled... 5.2 liters full tank or around 1.37 gallons... nice morning!  ;)

Gasoline for sale by the bottle.... lots of them here

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:58:00 AM by Vivo »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Ran out of gas!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
That's a lovely story :)
Scarey but lovely.
(think how your day might have ended if you'd come up seriously short of the wife's work!)
PS: what're you doing to fix the gauge? Here in Ohio we'd apply some duct tape to.....something!
*fixin' a plane at the airport.....

And here's a siren I installed on my LIKE 200i LX

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
  if you want to hold the wing on you better use gorilla tape,. 

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
I really don't use my gas gauge at all, it stays pegged to the top until 40 miles, then drops to half by 70 miles and empty by 80 miles.

I mkae sure I fill up every 80 miles and I've never taken more then 1.4 gal. It holds (they say) 1.8 gal so I should be safe.

I advise you to fill up every 7th day or bring a small hose to suck some from another cycle. Vampire Vivo!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:19:32 AM »
What's with the gas being colored? Makes it look like a kid drink here in the States.

Nice story Vivo. I can see your diary now. Dear Diary, I ran out of gas today while riding my wife to work on my scooter. I narrowly escaped her wrath as we coasted within walking distance of her office. But I did not go unpunished as a police officer had his boot up my exhaust.  ::) ;D ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:21:41 AM by TroutBum »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:57:16 AM »
Hahaha! Experience is the best teacher, I suppose... good thing it was not raining or stuck really far away from the gas station... It was just a fine cool morning...  ;)

Troutbum: Unleaded with Ethanol is colored green... Pure Gasoline is colored red...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:59:25 AM by Vivo »

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:14:11 AM »
What is up with the yellow and orange/red "gas"?
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:22:48 AM »
What is up with the yellow and orange/red "gas"?

That's light green.... Regular Unleaded with Ethanol.... Red is Premium Leaded

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:24:36 AM »

Well, I pulled out the float yesterday and did some minor checking and cleaning. One observation tho, when I short the two main soldered connections, the gauge needle goes to full and that means the gauge and all connections are ok... the sender is the culprit... I'll first inquire on how much is it from the dealer before I try to make some repairs... it seemed repairable...

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
I ran out of gas on my old bike. Ethanol is the worst thing man has created. It does not cut down on pollution. All it does is waste corn fields which could be used to feed more people instead of wasting this for gas. I know I ran on a tangent here, but this is how I feel about the  un needed use of this for clean gas when it does nothing to reduce emissions.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »
I ran out of gas on my old bike. Ethanol is the worst thing man has created. It does not cut down on pollution. All it does is waste corn fields which could be used to feed more people instead of wasting this for gas. I know I ran on a tangent here, but this is how I feel about the  un needed use of this for clean gas when it does nothing to reduce emissions.

KingKymco: Corn has very little nutritional value for humans. It mainly used for livestock here in the US & aboard. Yes...It's a PITA with small engines, but easily fixed with some StarTron or Stabil ethanol stabilizer. 10% here in Mass. it HUGE when that's all said & done after a years worth of fill-ups. That's 10% less we need to rely on imports. BTW....Did you know that 2013 was the 1st year since 1992 that we exceeded our own production vs. imports? Thank oil fraction from North & South Dakota & too a lesser extent Wyoming for that!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »
KingKymco: Corn has very little nutritional value for humans. It mainly used for livestock here in the US & aboard. Yes...It's a PITA with small engines, but easily fixed with some StarTron or Stabil ethanol stabilizer. 10% here in Mass. it HUGE when that's all said & done after a years worth of fill-ups. That's 10% less we need to rely on imports. BTW....Did you know that 2013 was the 1st year since 1992 that we exceeded our own production vs. imports? Thank oil fraction from North & South Dakota & too a lesser extent Wyoming for that!

It's far from just small engines, marine engines get killed from this crap, many, many boaters got their arses handed to them when the fuel tanks fell apart costing them thousands of $'s. Not to mention if I didn't add a 2nd 10 micro filter to my fuel line my warrenty would be voided on my F115 Yamaha $10,000 outboard. Yamaha also stated that if they ever go to E15 they won't warrent any of their products if you use it.

Outboard Marine engines are now made in excess of 550 HP per eng, not small  or cheap (my word) by any maens.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:42 AM »
If you live in southern USA, you know that corn is one of the major food groups, along with greens and black-eyed peas.
Corn: ears of sweet corn, cornbread, corn pancakes, corn batter for frying all good foods, and even more food-based uses.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:46 AM »
Hey, get that corn out of my thread!   ;D   I don't about your corn guys, but in the Philippines, we get our ethanol from sugarcane...

Momma bear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
Ever thought of getting one of those metal bottles to have for spare gas. I've seen a few strapped to the underside of the trunk. They hold about a liter. That should be worth another 30 miles and a whole lot of piece of mind.
Ride safe
People300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()