Author Topic: Avice needed  (Read 3183 times)

dan

• View Profile
Avice needed
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
Came out of the house this morning to find steering lock wasn't on and key wont turn easily now bike wont start, any ideas? Press the starter button and nothing happens. Think somebody might have tried to pinch it but no obvious damage other than the steering lock now wont work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:43:09 PM by dan »

Redundant

• View Profile
Re: Avice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Sound like a broken key switch.  Needs to be replaced.

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
I did try to bypass the ignition but without the starter button nothing happens. Do you think it could just be the starter button?. I can turn the key to the on position but when I press the starter button nothing happens

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »
I did try to bypass the ignition but without the starter button nothing happens. Do you think it could just be the starter button?. I can turn the key to the on position but when I press the starter button nothing happens

First thing first, try the kickstarter. :)
If nothing at all happens, it might be anything from a dead battery to a broken fuse, but most likely an electrical problem.

If the engine starts with the kickstarter but not even a single sound is heard when you use the electric, then it is probably either the button or the grounding. Check if your taillight lights when you activate the brake lever. If it does not, the starter button is not able to activate. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
  it sounds like the steering lock is cutting out the starter ,  on your scoot is the wheel lock and key lock combined, look it up in the parts supply,. 

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies unfortunately the little bastards came back and took it with them this time

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:14 AM »
Damn!! that was fast!! sorry!

Redundant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
Sorry to hear,

My very first scoot got stolen by some little *^&^(, on Thanksgiving no less!

My Kymco is my fifth scoot...

My first was a black and grey/silver 2T with whitewalls...

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
just got the bike back seems they couldn't get it started. Battery is fine, brake light doesn't work where should I start

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
where should I start
Since your scooter was stolen TWICE in the same week . . probably need to enhance your theft deterrents.  Everything else just seems like an exercise in futility.  It would require some effort on your part, but you could reference a service manual.

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
thanks for the advice

Redundant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
I added an alarm to mine.  I have on every bike since they stole my first, and it is the only thing that consistently works.  It kept my second scoot from being stolen ( probably the same little &*(&(*& ).

The Kymco isn't any more difficult to add one to than any of the others were, but it isn't exactly straightforward either ( soldering connectors piggyback and cutting one line ) - especially since some of my past scooters had connectors that you could just plug an aftermarket alarm into.

Before I put one inside though, I had a brakelock alarm, the kind that locks to the front disc ( a Xena ).  That, and a good chain/cable lock served me well...

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
1. Ignition is definitely broken have bypassed that
2. Checked starter motor
3. new spark plug
 I cant get a spark what next?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
I cant get a spark what next?
If you lack the aptitude to comprehend the service manual and troubleshoot ignition system continuity, Ohms, and volts with a multi-meter . . accept that you will have to pay a Kymco dealer for repairs, or sell as is.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
^^^ that's a little harsh.  Maybe he doesn't have a service manual.

No spark but new plug and battery is good .  How did you test spark?  Did you ground the plug threas to the cylinder head?  just asking.

Have you checked fuses and does it start with the kickstart?

If fuses are fine and not starting with kickstart and you confirm no spark  THEN:

First is voltage getting to the ignition coil?

Pull the wires off the ignition coil and as you try to start it and use a mulitmeter to confirm that it is getting voltage at the terminals.  (when checking put black meter probe on green wire and red probe on other wire)  if getting some voltage then probably your ignition coil.  if no voltage then possibly your CDI.

I had a no spark issue and was not getting voltage to the ignition coil.  Took CDI to local scooter shop and they put the CDI in a known working Agility and it wouldn't crank.  I got a new CDI and now get spark to plug and the scooter starts and runs no problem.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()