Author Topic: Running Like 200i in the desert  (Read 2184 times)

flavioguy

• View Profile
Running Like 200i in the desert
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
I'm considering a Like 200i AND live in Palm Springs.  Summers are very hot here (duh) and wonder if the air cooling system is sufficient to maintain appropriate engine cooling.  Especially when days are 110 to 120F.  Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom regarding this issue??

Thanks
Flavio

91cavgt

• View Profile
Re: Running Like 200i in the desert
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
I'm considering a Like 200i AND live in Palm Springs.  Summers are very hot here (duh) and wonder if the air cooling system is sufficient to maintain appropriate engine cooling.  Especially when days are 110 to 120F.  Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom regarding this issue??

Thanks
Flavio

I live in Texas and have ridden in some pretty high heat, but not quit as high as what you'll see.  However, I have ridden at full throttle in 100 degree weather for 45+ minutes non stop and had zero problems.  At the same time, 2 weeks ago it got down to 18 degrees when I left my house to head to work and my Like took it like a champ.  Much better than what I handled it! 

Considering how long Kymco has been in business and with how many scooter motors they have made, I would say that you shouldn't have any problems.  The only thing I would do if I were you is when you are riding, don't have your feet all the way back because it will semi block 2 of the air inlets.  If you keep your feet towards the front then you should be fine. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
Do use good oil in your LIKE, and change it often ( a10 min job and uses less than a quart - so it's not an expensive service undertaking)
The oil lubes things but it also helps to cool the engine.
Kymco has been selling scooters in a lot of tropical countries for a long time.
You can remove that center panel just below the seat front pretty easily if you really want to increase airflow down there.

Finally, I'm of the mind that if you are going to be pushing this scooter to the max engine speeds for extended periods in very high temperatures.....well, you DO have a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty to give you piece of mind.
FYI - Do shop around....these can be had for $1999 new.
Please keep us posted.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

flavioguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:04:05 AM »
Thanks guys for your reply.

Sounds like it's worth the risk.  I only use Shell Rotella synthetic oil with my scoots but appreciate the recommendation. 
I'm glad you pointed out the air vent.  I hadn't noticed that in pics to date. 

You are right.  There's a dealer nearby that's selling non-LX version @ 1,999.  Is there a reason???  New model coming out??

Thanks again!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
Thanks guys for your reply.

Sounds like it's worth the risk.  I only use Shell Rotella synthetic oil with my scoots but appreciate the recommendation. 
I'm glad you pointed out the air vent.  I hadn't noticed that in pics to date. 

You are right.  There's a dealer nearby that's selling non-LX version @ 1,999.  Is there a reason???  New model coming out??

Thanks again!
Not aware of a new LIKE 200i version coming. This version has been around a few years (the 50cc in 2009, the 163cc in 2011?)
Don't know what the blue book values are for a used LIKE 200i - but low mile LIKEs are all around - but in the real world , this winter, new LIKEs are going for $1999 in several states. I paid $3300 out the door last April.
For list price of $2,600, you get a lot of good stuff : reliable transportation(including wet riding) , fuel injection, front & rear disc brakes, dual rear shocks, pretty good build quality (from China but under the eyes of KYMCO), great accelleration at city speeds, good headlight - nice big tail light, nice Retro looks, 65>75 MPG, simple/no hassle aircooled system, and so far - everything for normal servicing is very easy to get at!!

Cons: lousy seat for some guys; not great wet grip from stock nylon tires. Mirrors didn't work for me (6'3", 250lbs) If you need a highway cruiser - In my opinion, the LIKE is not made for cruising above 50MPH - but other owners will strongly disagree with me on that. The 8cc larger , water cooled, SYM 200's will cruise at 65 MPH - happily, not the LIKE 200i. IMHO- there is 15MPH somewhere in that 8cc's!

I rebuilt the seat and purchased a pair long-stem mirrors and a set of Michelin City Grip tires (on-line @$110) and had my dealer install them, and I do not ride it above 45MPH. Love the scoot now!
If it is very good at $2600 - it is friggin' great at $1999. !

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
If you haven't already, you might want to google the subject. I have read that air cooled motors should be given cool down time when being run for longer rides in extreme heat. Ex, stop and eat a long lunch. If you just do twenty minute rides with a good interval between rides you would probably be fine with no negative effects.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

flavioguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 03:37:07 AM »
Thanks all for the input.  Much appreciated.  I'm still waiting for a bank loan re-fi to finish.....once that's done (we started in early October!http://hyorider.com/kymco/Smileys/default/rolleyes.gif), then I can make my purchase.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()