Author Topic: Horrible fuel efficiency?  (Read 8083 times)

NumberSix

• View Profile
Horrible fuel efficiency?
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:42 AM »
Greetings! Joined so I could run my situation past you all.

Bought my S8 150 brand new at the end of January, and have not ONCE gotten over 50 mpg. Ever! In fact, the bike's lifetime average just crossed 45. I've researched that the odometer is in km, but is there any chance the odometer is really in miles? 'Cause that's the only thing I can come up with to explain the discrepancy. Been getting scheduled maint. on time. Use premium grade fuel. Don't race or anything odd, just back and forth to work and the occasional errand. Maintenance guy has no clue (literally AND figuratively, I suppose). Makes me wish I'd bought, and recommend to others that they buy, a Genuine/Honda/Yamaha.

Also, how normal is it to need transmission work after only 1000km? 'Cause I had to deal with that garbage too. Had to replace clutch pad things, the bell-type thing the clutch pad things spin out against, and some roller thingamabobs that push on the belt or something. Honestly, I don't know the names for any of the parts in the CVT, but was thankful they were taken care of under warranty.

For a week or two, I was convincing myself I got a poorly refurbished bike, but I've since accepted that my bike is, simply put, doodoo. I'm reluctantly fine with it only because 45mpg is so much better than any car I've ever owned, and I still spend less on gas in a month than my friends spend for their cars in a week.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read my tale of woe. I look forward to any and all feedback and suggestions.

Unfortunately dissatisfied,
NumberSix
(Robert T., AZ)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible fuel efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
...check your tire pressure...when I bought my Agility 50 new, I overlooked checking my tire pressures for a long time...when I finally did, there was only 15 psi in my rear tire...

..ruined my tire of course..lived and learned...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

micro66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
I have a 2009 s8 150 with 1768 miles. Odometer is in miles. I go a set way to work and odometer reads same as mapquest .Your owners manual is a bad translation of a scooter sold in many different places with different variants.My owners manual says the front tire is 100/80-14 series,mine has a 120/70-14.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
...check your tire pressure...when I bought my Agility 50 new, I overlooked checking my tire pressures for a long time...when I finally did, there was only 15 psi in my rear tire...

..ruined my tire of course..lived and learned...

peace
Agreed. Scooters are really sensitive to tire pressures.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:48 AM »
Yeah I was getting crappy MPG and poor accel even with all my mods, I finally got help from an old fart at a gas station who pointed out " hey dude your rear tire is flat!" I hid my face in shame a I pumped it up in the parking lot. Yeah its really that stupid easy to overlook.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
If you got poor fuel consumption and had to replace parts in the transmission among others, and considering you bought it brand new, I think you have a lemon there. I have a 2011 Super 8 and almost 8,000 on the odometer and the worst mishap I had was a punctured rear tire. I wouldn't trade my s8 for anything of equal value right now. 

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
Of Equal value? what is out there?  I was looking at a Honda 150cc for twice the price... they claim it gets 90mpg... couldn't find anything as good or as affordable as the S8 150.. while it may "only" get 70mpg, the extra 2k the Honda was charging would take an extra decade to pay off over the S8.  The only thing cheaper were the Chinese scoots with no available parts and questionable construction.  I couldn't find anything MORE reliable, only more expensive.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
Guess you're right. There's nothing out there of equal value! The S8 is the best value for money scoot I have encountered. Smaller scooters here are even more expensive and not as good looking. I was considering some chinese scoots even but nothing compares to the S8. The Jonway R3 was the closest comparison I had but, like you said,..questionable...

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
my super 8 150 was getting 63 MPG on the premium gas, then I installed an iridium spark plug and it went up to 67 MPG, I recommend you take it to the dealership and have it look at it since that MPG is not normal on a stock super 8 150.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:26 AM »
...i usually average around 45 mpg on my 50cc s9....

..it's $4.00  every day usually
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
28-30
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
28-30? do you have tires or just bare rims?  You must have a parachute attached or some serious modifications that need a parachute...
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
some serious modifications!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:40:34 AM »
so zombie with no mods on a stock super 8 150 is 65 MPG what we call average?

Also to the OP, if you bought it new from a dealer I would just walk in there and ask for a replacement, either a replacement scooter or a replacement engine.

Mine has almost a 1000 miles and all i have done to it is change the oil(both the gear oil and the engine oil), replace the spark plug(for better mileage) and kick the tires everyday.

Also the dealership where I got it installed a battery tender port on it, so I keep my battery in pristine condition.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
with no mods on a stock super 8 150 is 65 MPG what we call average?

Sounds about right to me! Maybe a little on the heavy handed side but sounds right.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()