Author Topic: Newbie here from Sothwest Missouri.  (Read 3308 times)

Porkie

• View Profile
Newbie here from Sothwest Missouri.
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »
This is my first post on this forum and I find it very informative.

I went to see a 2012 Kymco GTI 300, in gold and I was very impressed, especially with the 'flat' floor and comfortable ergonomics. It looks brand new and has 3,500 miles on it. They are asking $4,540 out the door and I am considering it, however, the new price is not that bad and I would get a 2 year warranty, a 2014 and I would be the one that broke the scoot in!

The scooters I've had, in order are: Yamaha Zuma50cc, Honda Reflex 250 ABS, Aprilia Atlantic 500, two Burgman 650's, a T-max 500 and two Yamaha Zuma 125's.

Do some dealers discount new GTI 300's?

Never having owned a Kymco, I'd like to know what you owner's think of the brand.

I have also been considering the Honda Forza but it is not nearly as big and comfortable as the GTI.

Thanks for any responses!

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Newbie here from Sothwest Missouri.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:34:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum! You can't get wrong with a Kymco..especially with that GTI.. it's an awesome scoot... good looks also... Although I don't own one (can't afford) , I havent heard of any major complaint from the owners here...

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:01 AM »
  I guess it depends on the dealer. I bought a new ( 0 miles) 2012 Silver 300GTI last April. I bought it in New York State (Rochester), and got it for $4774.00 out the door (all fees, taxes, registration etc included.). The actual scooter price was $4300.00. I checked several dealers in the area and prices went from MSRP to the deal I got. You should check other dealers and compare. Bottom line if you're happy with your deal, then you got a good deal.
  If you do buy a 300GTI, I think you will like it a lot. I'm VERY pleased with mine.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:49:50 AM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
Kymco is a good brand. When you decide to a Kymco Scooter, you are buying a Honda. Kymco started in 1963 as part of Honda making parts for them. I have been happy with mine. I have had no problems with mine other than the fact my had an attempted bike jacking on it last week. Other than the front scooter cover being broken as well as the emergency starter below, my bike did hold up. As long as you take care of the bike, the Kymco will last for a long time. These bikes are reliable. Kymco USA is a major sponsor of the National Hot Rod Association. Even legendary race car driver John Force uses his Kymco Super 8 150cc bike to get around the track. I know Kymco is also a major sponsor of the annual Las Vegas HighRollers Scooter Rally. If you feel comfortable with the bike you want to buy, go for it.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »
Valentino Rossi on a Kymco Super 8

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
first - welcome Porkie
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
That price is reasonable for OTD I guess.
Most dealers tack on almost $1000. in fees etc.. Bulls***, but that is the way it is.
That puts your 2012 at about $3500., not too bad.
Try to get them down a little more.
Buy it. You will love it.
I bought a new 2013 GT in early summer this year.

I absolutely love this motor scooter.

It is very cold and blowing snow right now.
It is killing because I cannot ride.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:30:33 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it! There are so many choices today that it can become confusing.

I did find a 2013 Xciting 500i ABS, with 3,300 miles today that is supposedly immaculate and still under warranty for $4,500 cash and I think I'm gonna throw a leg over it as soon as possible to see how I fit. I'm 6ft-5in tall and 330 lbs so things can be tight on some scoots.

I'll let you folks know what I find out!

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Porkie,
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
after rereading your post, and seeing how many scoots you have owned, it is likely you have more experience at buying motor scooters than many here.

As far as Kymco goes, they have a good reputation and dealer support is pretty good.

Good luck in what ever you choose as your next scoot.

Above all, welcome and stick around.
Some good people here and most try to be helpful.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
Valentino Rossi on a Kymco Super 8

The famous silent screen wine maker!?
Cool beans!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Momma bear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »
Welcome!
     I have the 300GTI and love it. I did a lot of research before buying any scoot and Kymco was the brand that gave the most bang for the buck. You're a big guy and could probably handle any size scoot. The 500 was a little cumbersome for me. The 300 is very nimble with plenty of power. Good luck with whatever you choose.
People300i

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »
Well, today, Friday 24th, 2014, I picked up my 2013 Xciting 500RI ABS. Trailered it home and rode it 35 feet into the garage as it was like 10 degrees!

This metallic Gold/ Orange is beautiful and the entire scooter is very impressive.

I can't wait for spring and bring on the so called "Global warming!"

I'm glad to be part of the forum and Kymco family.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

scootermax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
i got a 2012 Downtown 200i. you cant go wrong with a Kymco in my opinion, such as it is. i have just under 2000 miles on it so far and still running great. only issue i had was right after i bought it, the fuel vent line was causing the tank to vapor lock.Kymco dealer rerouted the line and no problems since. bought it in Oct. 2012. I'm located down in Hutto tx. (central part of the state). Mostly ride all the farm/market roads around me and theres miles and miles of them. i get roughly 65 to 70 mpg and i drive it pretty aggessively. also top speed so far is about 70 or 72 with no wind conditions. plenty fast enough for me. legroom was a little short for me so added stained plywood floorboards where the rubber footpads were and bolted footpegs to them. worked out pretty well. can post photos of them if anyones interested.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
Scootermax, I'd like to see your mod, so post some pictures!

I also like the secondary farm type roads myself as I live in the country. There are lots of little paved 35 mph roads that wind through beautiful curved and scenic areas.

I managed to ride the Xciting for 40 miles or so Sunday after Church and I was pleased. I do have to set the rear suspension pre-load a lot firmer and the forks were sorta soft. The ride and handling and POWER was excellent and it took the curves nicely. I'm happy so far. This is my 8th scooter and it has lots of competition to be a top contender.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

scootermax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
had to lighten the preload on my DT. it seemed to bounce me up when i hit a rough spot. also took out the butt pad foam on the seat so i could move back about 3 inches to the passenger seat. can stretch out a little better now. i'll get some pics this week to post of the footpegs and the scoot. just melting out from this last arctic blast. supposed to start warming up again tomorrow. maybe get some riding in Thursday. supposed to be back up in the 60's or so. sure hope so. i'm gettin cabin fever. don't take but a day or so. HA. picked up an old yerfdog minibike last seek to rebuild for the grandson. got the frame painted and waiting on a new Predator engine and wheel bearings, to start putting it back together. got to make a seat too. the old one was shot totally. this thing had set out a long time. the chain was rusted so bad, i couldn't even straighten it out. still got to order the torque converter for it. figured it would be good to run to the mail box on, till the local mounties catch me.HA.

scootermax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
Porkie, having rouble uploading pics. says my file is to big and don't know how to cure it. send me a email at    gafr87@aol.com    and i'll send u the pics direct. if u want.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()