Author Topic: 85cc Kit  (Read 3509 times)

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
85cc Kit
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:10 AM »
Has anybody here ever installed an 85cc kit in the agility or anything for that matter before. I installed mine and everything went pretty okay but now when I start it up I'm hearing a loud ticking. I'm thinkin it may need a new camshaft since I got a bigger head. Anyone have any advice? I already have eliminated any possible complications with the cylinder or piston and narrowed it down to the drive train.
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 85cc Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
Look around for some posts from shaka, I think they started off under a jetting problem. Turned out he had a piston hitting the base of the head. I also think he did the same swap (not sure about that though)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
I used a 70cc Airsal kit.  Mine is also a 2-stroke.  Anyhow, the piston was ever so slightly hitting the head at TDC.  It wasn't enough to do damage, and only really made noise above 3/4 throttle.  I ran it for a couple weeks like that and just tried to keep the throttle to where it wasn't making that noise.  When I got a chance I pulled the head off and there was a thin silver ring around the dome of the piston about 5-8mm from the edge, and a corresponding ring on the head.  I just put an extra head gasket in to space it up that extra mil. or two.  Seems to be good now.  You may have a different issue though, as you have valves and a cam.  Good luck!

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
Yea I think my issue is different. I clayed the piston and didn't see any indentations anywhere on it. Today I'm gonna check it for a bent valve stem, after that I'm almost out of ideas. I have narrowed it down to the head camshaft or rocker arm assembly though. I've had the scooter little more than 2 months and its been out of commission a month so far, extremely frustrating.

Ken
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »
I know how that goes!  Mine was down for about 2 months while I was trying to get it tuned right after my upgrade!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:17:02 AM »
I should have read your post a little more carefully. Did the new head come w/ valves installed? I would certainly start w/ the manufacturer direct to find out what if any of your stock parts are compatible. I know this is not a direct answer to your orig question., but perhaps if you post the make, and model of your kit someone who has used that setup will notice.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »
I'm not sure of the make and model of the kit everything is written in Taiwanese or something like that.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
Have you adjusted the valves to the stock specs., or did your kit have instructions for this? I would look for a LOGO or something to identify the make. you could try looking at other sellers to see if you could Id. your part from a photo. Without having the manuf. you have no way of knowing what is compatible w/ your kit. There are too many people selling parts on the net w/ NO idea what they are doing. When you finally do get an answer it is usually too late. They will tell you to wait while they check w/ their tech, (meaning they may look up anothers post) come back w/ the wrong info, and tell you they have installed hundreds of these kits, and NEVER had the issues you are having. Now you have a tore up scoot, and a non refundable kit. Even w/ the top dogs in the business, things go wrong, but you are paying them for their knowlage, and tech. support. I would truly try to get more info on what you have before trying to trouble shoot your install. could be you did it all right, but no one said you need a shim, different valves, chinese cam, ect...  You said ticking, I would suspect valves???

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
I checked the valves out they are fine I'm at a loss, I just got new rocker arm assembly and camshaft so I'm gonna install this and see what happens. I didn't see any markings anywhere on anything but I will check when I mess with it again.

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »
Should I get a better fan or some kind of improved air induction system or something like that for having an 85cc kit. It seems that a bigger engine would produce more heat and over heat quicker, Right?

Ken

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
You're mostly right. The increased surface area will take care of the increased heat, but Scooter assassins has a real trick fan for under $20.. It just seems to take forever to get a response from them. Good though!

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:35 AM »
Just received rocker arm assembly and performance cam from the guys at scootertronics.com free of charge, how cool is that. installed it and I still got a crazy ass noise comin from my engine. Thought for sure with these new parts I would have it figured out. I'm gonna give the guys at scootertronics a call tomorrow and see what they say. They have been really helpful so far with this situation, hopefully between all our brains I'll soon be scootin again. It kills me to have that machine sittin in the garage only 1600 kilometers on it. It doesn't make getting to work any easier either.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
I know how that goes!  Mine was down for about 2 months while I was trying to get it tuned right after my upgrade!

I couldn't imagine being without my scoot for that long...

..I have a 16 mile trip to work...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 11:56:59 PM »
Luckily my commute is only 1.5 miles! :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()