Author Topic: Getting custom seat made!  (Read 1114 times)

Dolemite

• View Profile
Getting custom seat made!
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
So my most excellent girlfriend got me a gift certificate for a local custom leather shop. For $125 they're going to shave down the "hump" on my like, and add 1 1/2" of memory foam and rewrap it in marine grade leather, it's going to be dark brown. The owner is also throwing in matching handle bar grip covers for free, even though I tried to talk him into letting me pay for them. I can't wait to finally have comfortable place for my ass. And i'm stoked about the brown/black combo.

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: Getting custom seat made!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »
Make sure and post photos!
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »
I'm not sure - but I think you'll have only the 3rd or 4th custom LIKE seat in the N. America.
(that's not very many happy rumps - although some fellows claim they're happy with the stock seat - and some even like sitting clear back against the top trunk to avoid the worst of it)
I hope 1.5" of memory foam does it for you. I have a very manly posterior  :)- so I needed rather more than that in my many test rides, until I was no longer able to feel any of that crap in the middle of the seat pan. At that point I quit adding foam.
I have no idea what my seat height is now - but you gotta be a big dude to get flat footed at stop lights now. Feels good to me - but sitting up there took just a bit of time to get used to. Don't notice it any longer.  Safer, too - with my knees back from the hand grips.
Looking forward to your report, and pictures - & that gal may be a keeper!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »
Alright, picket up my seat and grips today. I had to do a little trimming post op because some of the seat wrap covered the rubber gasket on the bottom of the seat, but other than that it looks great.
My local custom shop added 2" of memory foam on top of the stock foam and made the seat flat all the way across. I'm told after some weathering it will shrink up a bit and loose a few of the wrinkles.
I could have gone with a more custom look, and done without the wrinkles, but was told that when adding seams and stitching you reduce the waterproofiness of the seat. And I ride in all conditions so waterproof 100% it is. My guy also threw in the grip covers for free. Pretty sweet. Stig, I think you and I need to start a Big Seat Club. It is a little taller than I expected, but i'm still able to flat foot when it's off the center stand. And MAN the ride is like I added extra travel on the suspension, rough roads are hardly noticeable. I can also sit right where i'm supposed to sit, which is on the infamous pain in the ass "hump".

IMG_20140125_165436_543 by documbie, on Flickr

IMG_20140125_165227_205 by documbie, on Flickr

IMG_20140125_165359_707 by documbie, on Flickr

isjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:27:28 AM »
Looks awesome, and it will only look awesome-r down the road! Do post follow-up pics once you've weathered the leather.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
Nice report on your custom seat. Looks good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()