Author Topic: Regarding the headlight glare on a LIKE  (Read 3522 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Regarding the headlight glare on a LIKE
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:07:12 AM »
Was visiting the Philippine LIKE Club face book the other eve....saw a couple of LIKE's with a chrome eyebrow fashioned over the head light.
Wonder how we could put a bug in KYMCO's ear to make these an accessory?
Also, wonder if it would be possible to find one made for vintage motorcycles that could be tweaked to fit the LIKE?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

donandrews

• View Profile
Re: Regarding the headlight glare on a LIKE
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:23 AM »
Stig - I'm with you. Can't help but wonder how KYMCO let this design flaw get passed them. It's actually a real riding hazard if you're more than about 5'9".
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
Stig - I'm with you. Can't help but wonder how KYMCO let this design flaw get passed them. It's actually a real riding hazard if you're more than about 5'9".

If you have a windshield then it doesn't matter how tall you are.  I'm 5'6" and it was REALLY bad until I put a couple strips of electrical tape at the top of the headlight.  Now it is bareable. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
I've been thinking about masking mine off and applying some black paint to the top as a permanent solution. But yes a headlight visor would be a stylish solution if they were easily available.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
I forgot to add that upgrading to an HID headlight has not helped the glare at all.  If anything, because the headlight is brighter, the glare is worse. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:38 AM »
Yep - I use electrical tape too. But I don't leave it on because I'm concerned about the heat from the headlight melting it. I carry a roll with me and do a down and dirty two strip application if I'm out at night. Doesn't have to be pretty because I take it off when I get home. And you are right about the windshield glare. It's almost like a video game. I still wonder how Kymco let this get past them. Anyone know someone with pull at the factory? Would love to find a cool visor.
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:23:18 AM »
Just ordered the Chevy headlight cover Stig referred to. Should arrive first part of next week. Am a little concerned about whether can "open" it up to fit across the top of the Like headlight. 7" seems to be OK length, but it looks like I will have to expand it somehow since the Like light is not round. Will let you know how it works.
Peace and Ride Safe
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
Just ordered the Chevy headlight cover Stig referred to. Should arrive first part of next week. Am a little concerned about whether can "open" it up to fit across the top of the Like headlight. 7" seems to be OK length, but it looks like I will have to expand it somehow since the Like light is not round. Will let you know how it works.
Peace and Ride Safe
Just tried to install the cover. Not much luck. First of all it is made of fairly thin aluminum and looks pretty cheap - not like chrome at all. Secondly it has to be spread open to fit across the headlight and tends to crimp right down the middle front to back. No way of satisfactorily attaching it to the headlight nacelle. Tried Gorilla Tape, electrician's tape, considered screws, but decided against making holes in the nacelle. And besides, it is so flimsy that I was afraid it would buckle up and over  if I went much over 20 mph. So.. still in pursuit of the perfect cover. Still think just taping a couple of strips of electrician's tape across the top of light works best. Takes just a few seconds and not have to worry about how it looks because I take it off after the ride.
Peace and Ride Safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
Has anyone tried the metal tape used for fastening dryer venting?  Won't melt but it has a good (maybe too good) grip.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
johnson - good suggestion. I did not try it. However I did try Gorilla Tape which is about the stickiest tape I know of. The problem is not having enough edge on the visor to firmly attach to the headlight rim. It tended to lift up with the slightest bit of pressure. Plus, even if it would work, it would look pretty cheap. It's pretty thin and looks like it's made out of an aluminum recyclable pie tin.
Peace and Ride Safe
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
johnson - I think maybe I misread your suggestion. I was reading it to say that the tape might be used to fasten the visor to the headlight. Sorry about that.  After re-reading it, I think you're probably suggesting to fasten the tape across the top of the headlight? It may also look better than the black electrician's tape if you want to leave it on. Thanks for the idea.

Another thing about the visor itself....it looked pretty funny and out of place because of the steep slant of the headlight itself. Definitely looked like an "add-on" and not part of the design.
Peace and Ride Safe. 
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
I think the chrome tape (like a metal tape - but not metal) is a great idea!
Strange coincidence....here's a fellow working on his headlight visor on a Vespa. In order to fit it , he had to cut it and cover the cut with automotive chrome.
Autozone sells a roll of rocker-panel chrome tape....for $11 - enough to do every LIKE in N. America.

4 State Trucks.Com sells it by the foot for a couple a' bucks.

I'm thinking I'm going to try some of this automitive chrome tape at the top of my LIKE 200i head light.
One suggestion was to use a bit of window tinting up there - but I found that even thick blue painter's tape causes a distraction to my night viewing of the road.....window tint would not work for me. The chrome tape would not let any light through - and if trimmed neatly may not be an eye-sore on the scoot....looking like a part of the chrome trim ring.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:58:14 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()