Author Topic: How to get more speed WITHOUT de-restricting  (Read 4359 times)

freejack2k

• View Profile
How to get more speed WITHOUT de-restricting
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Hi

My 16 year old son has an agiity 50. He would like it de-restricted but we were told at the shop that if we did this it would invaladate his insurance so i have told him he cannot do this.

I was wondering what other ways there are without de-restrcitng of getting a few extra MPH out of it. I have read certain types of spark plug for example can improve performance but im unsure which ones to get.

Any advice on what we can do to improve the bikes performance would be appreciated.

Thanks

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: How to get more speed WITHOUT de-restricting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
would like it de-restricted but we were told at the shop that if we did this it would invaladate his insurance
Excellent advice . . many seem to be in denial about the downside consequences.  In many states, mopeds are considered "fair game" for numerous citations if clocked over 30mph.  5 or 6 gram variator sliders will keep the CVT drive in low range longer and maintain a little more speed on inclines and into headwinds, but may actually reduce top speed.  Also keep tires inflated to around 30psi.

freejack2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
Yes we are in the UK and i think we can do most other mods but if we de-restrict it he would essentially be driving without insurance.

Will follow your advice on the tyres, its more the top end speed he is looking for mainly due to a lot of roads here having a 40mph speed limit and him going at 30mph is causing more chance of an accident with drivers trying to overtake him. Was wondering if some of the spark plugs advertised on ebay as improving top end speed actually do this or is it just a sales gimick?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
you can try iridium plug, it will run smoother but not faster, and that is the sad truth,.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:12:48 AM »
Taller tires..

Lesser weight..

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
Unfortuantely without derestricting not much if any will be gained.  Maybe a 1 to 2 MPH but that is about it.  This is because from the factory the RPMs are limited and then the drive boss also has a restriction also main jet is smaller. 

in order to gain any real extra speed derestriction is going to have to be done. 

Taller tires were suggested but if yours are like mine then the tire pretty much just fit into the plastics covering the tires.  so no real room for increase. Also increasing that would cause the speedometer reading to be incorrect.

Finally if derestricting is a insurance loss reason due to increased speed, then by increasing speed even though you are not derestricting would still be an issue.  just a thought.  going over allowable speed limit in your area is going to be a violation if you are restricted or not.  Just another thought.

As far as denial said by tortoise Some maybe in denial about the laws So I agree with that. 

But some are not.  I myself am not in denial.  but I rather have more speed to keep from getting completely ran over by other motorist.  Also most cops probably would not pull you over if you are not breaking significant laws.  If you are still within the speed limit and not causing a problems by impeading traffic due to your slower scooter I doubt most cops would waste the time to pull you over just for riding along.  The main key is to not draw any unnecessary attention to yourself.  just my 2 cents.

freejack2k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »

As far as denial said by tortoise Some maybe in denial about the laws So I agree with that. 

But some are not.  I myself am not in denial.  but I rather have more speed to keep from getting completely ran over by other motorist.  Also most cops probably would not pull you over if you are not breaking significant laws.  If you are still within the speed limit and not causing a problems by impeading traffic due to your slower scooter I doubt most cops would waste the time to pull you over just for riding along.  The main key is to not draw any unnecessary attention to yourself.  just my 2 cents.

I agree with all of the above and i believe the bike is too slow and that actually makes it more dangerous but the thing that concerns me is the million to one shot that he could lose grip on the road and not only injure himself but someone else. If he were to knock someone down for whatever reason his insurance would be invalid as soon as they found out the bike had been altered. This could potentially lead to criminal charges against him and i would rather he went slower than go through that. Once he is 17 he can move up to a 125cc which will be plenty powerful enough for him.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
Running 30mph max in a 40mph zone is too dangerous....unless he can ride in a 'bike' lane of some sort - but out in the normal 40mph traffic flow on a 30mph scoot is.....a crap shoot with his safety.
If he needs to travel those roads for school or work - he needs to take a different mode of transportation.
Take the scoot for rides around low speed neighborhoods only, or parks, etc.
He may not be too pleased with this decision - but he'll get over it.
Waiting one year to go bigger and on an appropriate scooter at appropriate speeds is the solution to your problem.
I do not know why they sell these mopeds - which cannot go safely on most roads in the civilized world - to anyone - and it is especially wrong to put young people on them.
An adult can derestrict these things and ride and not violate laws and insurance policies - but the scoot companies aim these at youngsters who have just enough $ to get an entry level set of wheels. I know adults who have learned to safely ride their 50cc Honda Metropolitans all over the place....but this is not a skill or mind set that 16 yr olds have.
Give him a hug, then take his keys away from him before you let him out in 40mph traffic on his moped.
Signed, a Dad.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
Are there slower, secondary roads that he can take without feeling hurried or obstructing the flow of traffic? A short stretch or two on a faster road is not too big of a deal, but his commute should not be mainly on fast roads.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
I agree have him wait to get bigger scoot legally. but if that is not going to work and needs the smaller scoot and no way to avoid big roads, then I would derestrict.  I rather take the one in a million chance of having an issue regarding insurance versus the million chances he may get hit by another vehicle because he is going much slower. 

Rather have criminal charges over possible funeral charges.  You can fight the criminal charges. 

mstngs351

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:51:12 AM »
I agree with all of the above and i believe the bike is too slow and that actually makes it more dangerous but the thing that concerns me is the million to one shot that he could lose grip on the road and not only injure himself but someone else. If he were to knock someone down for whatever reason his insurance would be invalid as soon as they found out the bike had been altered. This could potentially lead to criminal charges against him and i would rather he went slower than go through that. Once he is 17 he can move up to a 125cc which will be plenty powerful enough for him.

Hey freejack. I know that here in the states you can inform your insurance (at least some) company that you have modified your vehicle and still get coverage. The downside is they charge you a little more but at least you don't have to worry about coverage. Have you checked to see if that is an option?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
I had insurance on my scoot for 2 years and used the insurance one time. they never asked about the speed of the bike. and mine was doing 45 easy. to get more speed out of the bike you will need to do all 3 things the main jet the drive boss and cut the cdi box or get a raceing cdi box.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:46:52 AM »

peace

8)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 06:36:48 AM »
I can see the car pushing you!   ;D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »

peace

8)

theres word showing off again...............

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()