Author Topic: ..variator observations...  (Read 3197 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..variator observations...
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
..installed a new malossi multivar variator with 5.5g rollers @ 30,000 km...

..had very good take-off and reached top-end in what I thought was an awesome E.T...

..now I'm @ 34,000 km, and it seems my acceleration is dropping off..

..seems that my motor does not rev as high as before, and there is a distinct drop in revs before I reach 2/3 of top end...

..could this be because my rollers are wearing, and becoming lighter?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: ..variator observations...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
That is what I was noticing with mine also, but only after a little less than 2000 kms.  I pulled the rollers out yesterday and only 2 of them had a big flat spot in them!  I don't know if some of them were getting stuck or what.  Anyways, I had some almost new 9g Dr. Pulleys and popped those in to see what happens.  The motor doesn't seem to be revving as high, but my top speed went up by almost 5mph.  If I were you, I would pull out your rollers and have a look.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:03:29 AM »
Check your belt too. The extra rpm's wear it out pretty quick! Iv'e had the malossi set-up in mine for almost 11,000 km, and I think I can get a few more. I also use the malossi Kevlar belt, $46.00 when I bought it, but worth it
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:06:16 AM »
wordslinger- I noticed the same thing
im thinkin about pickin up a kevlar belt cause the stock belt seems like its slipping sometimes.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
..yup, imma tear into her this evening...I installed a new belt when I put in the malossi...non-kevlar, tho I wish I had went with the kev...

..thinking I should have went with the 6 gram weights...

..shaka, I originally had 9 g when I first installed the malossi..initial take-off was good, however getting up to top end took forever...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
I had the 9 gramers in with the stock 50cc motor.  It reacted just the same.  Now with the 70cc I think it has enough torque to power through.  I think I'm gonna try some 7g Dr. Pulleys when I get aroung to ordering them.  I also gonna get a Malossi variator.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »
..I like my malossi...though it seems to "rattle" at different points through acceleration...

..haven't been able to figure out why...

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:11:02 PM »
mine rattles sometimes as well..sounds like the rollers

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »
Lot's of posts mention the RATTLE in the Malossi, I personally do not have this, however I think it may be due to the light weight construction of their variator, and the fact that you can tap it w/ your finger or a screwdriver,ect.., and get the same tone, I think they call it a bell for a reason. My thought is all engines have different "balance" issues, so some may resonate different areas at different rpm's. I just try to stay out of the sour note ranges. Usually I just hit it and hang on. Just a thought on rattles.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:31 PM »
I just ordered a Malossi variator today, so I guess I'll see if it rattles.  Hopefully it will get my top speed up where it should be!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »
You've seen enough posts to know. Look around on the web. Almost all of the people that are having problems are using NET parts from unknown manufactures, and in-experienced sellers. I don't want to be a spammer, but buy from the TOP dogs, and listen to them. jrpreston is correct in his view! If you want to scoot leave it alone! If you want to tweak, look for experienced advice! If you want to wreck your S__T, buy whats cheep! RATTATTATTA...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:49:51 AM »
Zombie-I would agree, but are you saying that Malossi parts are low quality?  What would you recommend?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:24:26 AM »
hEY BRO. NO, I'm saying the Malossi parts are TOP quality because of the lite weight! The trade off is the ring. I saw an older post about triple weight kits saying, the reason for them is to tune into the range that fits your scoot. once you find the correct set=up you get the weights that match. Ie=3 (3-9's plus3-6's)=45g Therefore you use 45g weight total in balanced weight. I believe the lighter the better on ALL components. I am NOT a scoot. Prof. Although in my 37 years of fooling w/ engines(50 plus) nothing much has changed. What I think would be SUPER cool is a site that took all the best PROVEN parts, and gave the EXACT recipe for success! I guess that's why turnbuckle started this to begin with. I.D.K.       ...FTP

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
I got ya!  You had me confused for a minute!  I think this site is about the closest one might achieve to finding the "exact recipe" for success!  The problem is there are still other outside variables which affect performance.  Definitely can't achieve maximum performance with inferior parts though!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
I got ya!  You had me confused for a minute!  I think this site is about the closest one might achieve to finding the "exact recipe" for success!  The problem is there are still other outside variables which affect performance.  Definitely can't achieve maximum performance with inferior parts though!

..yeah, outside variables...even road conditions have to be perfect for top performance...

..I rode in with a 20mph headwind today..

..woulda thought i'd lost compression or something..

..took me 7 minutes longer on a 16 mile trip...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()