Author Topic: Salt worst enemy or harmless?  (Read 5686 times)

Momma bear

• View Profile
Re: Salt worst enemy or harmless?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
I realize being from Florida my opinion may not hold as much weight but, I spent most of my life in New York and Mass. I junked a 1985 Toyota due to a rusted frame after 10 years. It was washed once a week and hand waxed in warmer weather. Good wax and keeping things clean are important. You wouldn't eat the stuff they put on the road. Why would you think it wouldn't hurt your ride?
People300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
I feel real bad for you guys, the topic was about Aluminum I think, don't think my little aluminum boat had any special kind of alum. and alum doesn't rust so those replies aren't directly applicable but I do get the reasoning.

Thousands upon thousands of cars and pickup truck go axle deep into the salt dozens of times every year, I don't ever hear about them rusting out losing their brake lines, tail lights, etc.

I own at the "sea"shore (waterfront) have an all aluminum car, and have zero problems. Sorry you all have been having such a rough time of it.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
 ;D Well it rained away our salt so I am free to roam the roads. I don't know but it seems like salt destroys scoots from what I have read. So does anyone know if there is a way to fix damage to aluminum or is it just ruined?
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
Like 08087, who's boat came with a clear coat to protect the bare aluminum , unless your exposed aluminum came with a shiny clear coat like almost every motorcycle for absolutely years, your aluminum is "RAW" and not clear coated nor anodized so special care must be taken to avoid dulling and pitting. Don't ever use strog cleaners and detergents on clear coated aluminum because it will eat the clear coat away.

I still find it odd that a vehicle like my wife's new 1994 full size Bronco's undercarriage and frame is essentially brand new as are/ were the frames on my new 1999 Dodge Cummins diesel pickup, my new 2003 Dodge hemi pickup and my current 2009 Dodge hemi 4x4 pickup are clean enough to eat off of as are most 50 year old American vehicles. Toyota screwed up very badly and is paying the price for bad metallurgy, drainage and rust prevention.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:32 AM »
The issue is not aluminum per se, but metallurgy... aluminum is just the dominant metal in aluminum alloys... not all aluminum alloys have the same formulation... simple... low quality aluminum alloys performs less than high quality ones... In my experience, salt is not one of my worries when it comes to my aluminum wheels.. it's dog piss...  ;)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
The issue is not aluminum per se, but metallurgy... aluminum is just the dominant metal in aluminum alloys... not all aluminum alloys have the same formulation... simple... low quality aluminum alloys performs less than high quality ones... In my experience, salt is not one of my worries when it comes to my aluminum wheels.. it's dog piss...  ;)

hmmm whats all this then about salt??
And HIIIIII thought i would drop by, Wordslinger posted some vids on FB and mentioned the forums so i thought i would say YO BROS!!!
AAnnnnyway bk on topic  ;D
i live in england and i rode my Suzuki Intruder for the most part until it got stupidly dangerous, not sure if theres a difference in salts used there to salts used here.
HEY VIVO!! How u doin?
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
Years ago, I found out the hard way about salt rust on one of my motorcycles.  It only took 1 RIDE early spring while salt was present to begin corrosion in many places on my up-till-then cherry 8 year old motorcycle.  These days, my bikes/scoots don't come out of the garage until after a good spring rain washes away all of the salt.  In the fall they are no longer ridden after the first snow or salting.

That said, if you do have to ride on salted roads, make sure you give the scoot a good washing every week.

BTW, MY 9 year old Scion xB has some major rust on the passenger side door.  But I don't wash the car as nearly as much as I do my motorcycles or scooters.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »
hmmm whats all this then about salt??
And HIIIIII thought i would drop by, Wordslinger posted some vids on FB and mentioned the forums so i thought i would say YO BROS!!!
AAnnnnyway bk on topic  ;D
i live in england and i rode my Suzuki Intruder for the most part until it got stupidly dangerous, not sure if theres a difference in salts used there to salts used here.
HEY VIVO!! How u doin?

Hey WHITEKNIGHT!!! What's happening here... Peters and  Wordslinger came back and now you!!... a reunion??? Back to scooters?  NIce to hear from all ya!!!

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
Guys: I live literally on the water in a sleepy seacoast town north of Boston. It's not just the salt on the roads (which isn't good) but it's "air" that ages all of my 2-wheels over the years for me. If you live 10+ miles away from the ocean, you'll be much better off. As Stig mentioned, that Amsoil, Boeshield or Corrosion X is a MUST! They all work well, but I find Corrosion X in the larger can costs less. I spray my entire exhaust before the Winter & it really helps out. Even washing it once a week in the Spring, Summer & Fall doesn't completely stop it.

Way off topic here - MassScoot - are you familiar with the Halibut Inn in Gloucester?

Back on topic  - Do you remember when car dealers used to push undercoating?  I never cold figure out if that was a scam or not.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
Way off topic here - MassScoot - are you familiar with the Halibut Inn in Gloucester?

Back on topic  - Do you remember when car dealers used to push undercoating?  I never cold figure out if that was a scam or not.

SCAM, when's the last time you've seen a modern car rust out?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »

Well, I was referring to decades ago.  :)
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »
Actually if you ever go up north there are many modern cars rusting out.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
Clean is good just keep it washed off.care for the things you own...........

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Actually if you ever go up north there are many modern cars rusting out.

Agreed. Some places can be brutal on even galvanized bodies. In other places, cars can seem forever new.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/07/piston-slap-in-god-we-rust-part-iii/
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »
The salt they put on roads regularly eats the cars around here.  Mufflers, brakes, wheel wells.  All fall victim to the nasty stuff they pile on the roads just in case it might snow.  The underside of your car isn't aluminum, it's cheap metal composites that don't hold up to any corrosives they encounter.  Same for scooters.  Go riding on a salty road and pray that you get all the salt off before Spring.  Kymco's aren't known for the quality metals they use on springs and other under body parts.   We just had a nice hard rain and I may get out in a day or two but I'll probably be waiting until Spring is here for good. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()