Author Topic: xc500 header pipe only?  (Read 2322 times)

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
xc500 header pipe only?
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Hey there, curious question. Has anyone run their xciting 500 ri, or any scooter with the header pipe only and no muffler. The xciting 500 exhaust is set up with a header pipe from the engine and the factory muffler slips on to the end. Anyone try removing just the muffler and running with only the header pipe, esentially straight pipe I guess.
Any one try this?
Any ill effects other than super loud?
Is yours fuel injected or carbed? The FI would compensate for the tuning, carb would require a rejet.
Did you do it on an xciting or a different scoot. I would imagine the concept would be the same on other bikes.

Just another thought that randomly popped into my head.
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

bongoman

• View Profile
Re: xc500 header pipe only?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »
Back in the old days, (my hair is silver now), a motorcycle buddy ran straights with too little back pressure and the engine sucked the valves or something like that. It was 30 or 40 years ago.

Some performance mufflers like GPR and Leo vince have removable baffles, or what 's called db killer.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
Back in the old days, (my hair is silver now), a motorcycle buddy ran straights with too little back pressure and the engine sucked the valves or something like that. It was 30 or 40 years ago.

Some performance mufflers like GPR and Leo vince have removable baffles, or what 's called db killer.

Yeah alot of the aftermarket mufflers have db killers/silencers/baffles... im wondering if anyone has just run the header pipe without a muffler at the end. I have heard that running with no pipe or header pipe, just open exhaust can warp valves. But basically leaving a header or straight pipe, still provides a little restriction and insulation to help prevent warping a valve. You see and hear so many harleys and hoggs runing straight pipes all the time, im wondering if there is a down sode other than it being super loud lol.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:00 AM »
I wouldn't take anything I see on a Harley as a reference of how something should be done.
If anything, it's probably the exact opposite.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I wouldn't take anything I see on a Harley as a reference of how something should be done.
If anything, it's probably the exact opposite.

agreed lol.
im just thinking that if you remove the facotry slip on muffler and keep the header pipe you should be ok engine and valve wise. like no engine damage or valve warp since it wont just be an open exhaust port. the header is probably 1'-1.5' long header tube before it hits the muffler.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
That constant drone would get on my nerves fast.

Even my stock Downtown became too loud when I put on the big biondi windscreen,
I could now hear the engine when before I couldn't and often wished it wasn't the case.

I wouldn't touch the exhaust if I couldn't afford a replacement by a reputable product,
and for me (for the Kymco scoots) it would be only Remus (DT) or Leovince (DT and XC).

If Akrapovic was available that would be my first choice.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
That constant drone would get on my nerves fast.

Even my stock Downtown became too loud when I put on the big biondi windscreen,
I could now hear the engine when before I couldn't and often wished it wasn't the case.

I wouldn't touch the exhaust if I couldn't afford a replacement by a reputable product,
and for me (for the Kymco scoots) it would be only Remus (DT) or Leovince (DT and XC).

If Akrapovic was available that would be my first choice.

Agreed on all statement. Again, this is just mindless meanderings lol. I am actually a fan of the gpr pipes too. I have heard them in single cylinder thumpers before and liked the sound. Header pipe only would be insanely loud lol. But again, just more thoughts that run through my even thinking brain and I wish to discuss with other scoot guys and gear heads :)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
Even if there's no harm to the engine (which I have no idea about), a loss in engine power
and increase in fuel consumption is almost a sure thing.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »
Even if there's no harm to the engine (which I have no idea about), a loss in engine power
and increase in fuel consumption is almost a sure thing.

Definitely. I feel there would be some loss in the low and mid but I feel there would be a gain in the high end with les restriction. Then again there is always a trade off as with any mod.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »
Definitely. I feel there would be some loss in the low and mid but I feel there would be a gain in the high end with les restriction. Then again there is always a trade off as with any mod.

You can't know for sure until you try it, and that takes a DYNO run, and then tuning the CVT to run at the revs where the power gain
has occurred. Those two thing will get your XC500 fuel consumption wise in the GSXR1000 range (minus the 180hp & 190mph performance).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()