Author Topic: I'm new to the world of scoot.....  (Read 4382 times)

wan72

• View Profile
I'm new to the world of scoot.....
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
Yesterday I bought myself a brand new 2013 Like 200i ........ I am a total newbie to riding scooters and to be honest I bought this scooter because I liked the way it looked.

I have managed to clock up 128 klms on it already and am wondering how long I have to run it in for?
Also, will it get faster the more it gets run in?

So far, I love it and have been asking myself why I waited till I was 40+ to buy one.

Is there anything that I should know or be aware of?
Wanda.....
Gold Coast, Australia

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: I'm new to the world of scoot.....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
Scooters and motorcycles can be addictive so be careful to save your money for new bikes, riding gear and fancy chrome items to keep your scooter happy.

The important things to do:
1.  get and wear good safety gear (from head to toe)
2. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation safety training course  http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=RiderCourse%20Info
3. Learn to maintain your ride and get service manual for it.

4.   Have fun but ride safely.

Have a great 2014

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »
Welcome wan72,

LIKE 200i service manual:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/120161042/Like-200i-Service-Manual#

Wear the safety gear, sign up for the MSF rider's course in your area.

Re. the scooter :  
Sit down beside it and check tightness of every fastener
Change the engine oil (less than a Qt.) and the gear oil (less than a cup) now (unless the dealer has changed it for known quality oils)
Read the owner's manual for the break-in procedures and running-in periods. Several of us have followed the manual with very good results down the road....(=smooth running engine, no oil usage, etc.)

Will it gain speed after a break-in period? Maybe a few MPH - the majority of us will not attempt an interstate highway on this scooter. Max speed will be about 55MPH +/-. It is a terrific urban scooter - but it is not a freeway flyer.
If you really need more speed than that - perhaps your dealer will let you trade up?
There are some scooters with an engine very close to your LIKE's 163cc's which will run at 65 -70MPH (171cc SYM)- but the LIKE is not one of them.

You've purchased a very well made scooter. The servicing areas are easy to get at - both oils can be changed easily and in just a few mins. Valve adjustment and spark plug - easy to do. Keep the tire pressure set per the manual.
And take it easy in the wet on the stock tires - they are hard wearing - but not the very best in the wet!
It IS a great looking scooter, isn't it?! Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Welcome to the fold, Ride safe and enjoy your new Kymco!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wan72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »
Thank you both so much for the awesome advice.

I now have a full faced helmet, Kevlar bike pants, gloves, Jacket and Boots and I have enrolled in QRide (the Australian / Queensland version of MSF) to start this weekend.
All I need now is to teach myself how to service my scoot and wait till he tells me his name.

I'm pretty excited to be a part of the fold and thanks again for the advice :)
Cheers
Wanda
Wanda.....
Gold Coast, Australia

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:32:11 AM »
Congrats! Nice pic Stig!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Yesterday I bought myself a brand new 2013 Like 200i ........ I am a total newbie

Are you me?

I bought a 200i in black on Saturday and I'm anxiously awaiting for it's delivery on Wednesday. New rider, scooter owner and forum member.  ;D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »
Are you me?

I bought a 200i in black on Saturday and I'm anxiously awaiting for it's delivery on Wednesday. New rider, scooter owner and forum member.  ;D
Welcome new scooter person!
You, too, have just purchased a great scooter!
(However unless you're also a Sheila - Wanda is better looking than you. That's OK, she's better looking than the majority of us.)
Ride safe and post us some pictures of your new scoot when you get the chance.
The black is pretty classy....!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
Thank you both so much for the awesome advice.

I now have a full faced helmet, Kevlar bike pants, gloves, Jacket and Boots and I have enrolled in QRide (the Australian / Queensland version of MSF) to start this weekend.
All I need now is to teach myself how to service my scoot and wait till he tells me his name.

I'm pretty excited to be a part of the fold and thanks again for the advice :)
Cheers
Wanda
I've watched several of the safe scooter riding videos on youtube by the Austalian fellow- I think he  works the Honda riding school ?
Happy as a clam here - just completed an hour's ride after work. Lucky to get one day every week or two -snow. More coming tomorrow. Rinsed the scoot thoroughly after the ride.
Safe riding, Wanda.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 02:52:55 AM »
..awesome scooter!...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wan72

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Stig, flattery will get you everywhere. I'm loving my new scoot who just happened to tell me his name this week, ....... Wait for it.......... Walter (White) ....... Unsuspecting chemistry teacher on the surface but a badass underneath.

I'm dying for the weekend to finally get here so I can go and do my full day with QRide and enjoy life with Walter..... My husband is totally jealous :)

Wanda.....
Gold Coast, Australia

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Stig, flattery will get you everywhere. I'm loving my new scoot who just happened to tell me his name this week, ....... Wait for it.......... Walter (White) ....... Unsuspecting chemistry teacher on the surface but a badass underneath.

I'm dying for the weekend to finally get here so I can go and do my full day with QRide and enjoy life with Walter..... My husband is totally jealous :)

wan72,
QRide is the Australian 2 wheel riding course? An 8 hour course with a riding test and written test at the end?
Is it mandatory to pass this course to ride ?
My son and I took a 2 day course on an airfield here in Ohio. We then had to pass the riding test on the final afternoon - they had no scooters so I took the class on a miserably clapped out Yamah dirt bike.
Passing a riding test (given by the State or a private instructor) is mandatory - but not participation in any class.

You answer correctly 75% of the questions at the license office, you then can ride home on your 1199cc Superleggera Ducati. Period. Crazy system, pass a written test -then climb on the biggest bike ever made & go riding.

Shoot us some photos when you get oot n' abooot on your new scoot. Guess there's no worries about snow in your neck of the woods, eh?  I'm thinking "side-car" ....that way I could ride in the snow! Just the little issue of floating this idea past my wife......
Our 6 kids will tell you who the sensible one is. (well, there IS one fellow Democrat in the bunch. Bless her little heart!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wan72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
Hey Stig,

Yup, here is Aus, you have to sit a 30 question test and can only get 3 answers wrong, once you have completed the test you MUST complete a QRide test, if you don't pass QRide, you don't get your bike license. Once you pass Q Ride you then go back to the Dept of Transport where they issue you with your licence.

There are different rules depending on how long you have held your car license, I've had mine for 24 years so I pretty much just sat my written test and I can go straight away to QRide.

I have chosen to do slow manoeuvre training for 5 hours prior to doing my test, just some extra training to make my husband feel better.

No snow here on the Gold Coast in Australia, but plenty of sun and almost as much rain at the moment, it's supposed to be raining all day tomorrow while I'm at QRide....... Should be fun!!
Can you get a side car for your scooter???

I will definitely take some photos tomorrow while I'm at Q Ride and hopefully I pass my test.... Fingers crossed.
Wanda.....
Gold Coast, Australia

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »
Wanda,
We're all thinking about you today as you train and test.
Hope all goes well....and that nothing gets any road rash on the slow riding (I had my feet down so often on that slow riding part of the test - the instructors took to referring to me as "Barney" (Barney Rubble was a famous Republican here a few decades ago....)
The Gold Coast.....oh boy.
I'm going out to make a few snow angels in the back yard.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »
  After 1000 - 2000 miles your scoot will be pretty much broken in and will run a little
faster and maybe get a little better mileage. Mine gained about 7 mph after 1100 miles
or so. I thought I had a slow one at first!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 01:51:54 AM »
..and around 40,000kms you could be running over 60 mph!!

..unless you want to start the mods right away!!

8)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()