Author Topic: How cold is too cold to ride?  (Read 3202 times)

Momma bear

• View Profile
How cold is too cold to ride?
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:11:49 AM »
Got into a discussion with a friend in MA the other night. He said he won't ride his motorcycle when it's below 50 outside. Seems that cuts his riding season way short. I talked to other people you just need sun and dry roads. Seems if you have the right gear and the winds not too bad it be worth the trip.
People300i

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: How cold is too cold to ride?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
..I ride year round, in central NC..

..with proper gear, I've ridden in 13 degree cold, so far this year..

..nina didn't like it so much, tho...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:01:30 AM »
Even though I live in Central Florida it has hit temps as low as the mid 30's.  With the right gear and prep work there is absolutely no reason not to ride in my mind.  :)  http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/12/cold-weather-challenges-part-two.html

That being said, if there is snow or ice on the roads then I think that it makes sense to put the bike away for a bit.  Why risk serious injury if you don't need to?
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »
Good advice from houndguy. A windshield and skiing or snowboarding gloves help a lot. Be aware of your legs. I have had mine get so numb I almost fell over coming to a stop. And most importantly, make sure that the cold is not numbing your senses. You need to stay alert.
Peace and Ride Safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
Got into a discussion with a friend in MA the other night. He said he won't ride his motorcycle when it's below 50 outside.
Probably I won't ride at 50 or more. It just doesn't get that hot in middle Europe.  ;)
For me, 40 (°C) is uncomfortable hot enough. Personal riding experience from -27°C to +41°C.
These where at -12°C and fun to ride (and hike):

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
I ride year long also in NC. Coldest I ever rode was about 6 miles at 4° F and I thought I was gonna die. Maybe my gear was not the best, but I will never do it again unless its a emergency. If I have a choice I prefer it to be 35° F or warmer.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
To cold to ride is when you aren't comfortable or safe because of black ice or snow or hypothermia induced frostbite(:

My Goldwing has heated grips and seat and hot air vents and I have cold weather clothing but I won't ride in 40 degrees or less weather unless I'm caught out in it unexpectedly.

I have absolutely nothing to prove so if I'm uncomfortable with the outside conditions, I take the cage: Why not be safer?

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I prefer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
55 and above.
Less chance of ice on the road and even with a snowmobile suit, gauntlets, and boots, wind chills below 55 makes the ride uncomfortable.
Other things to consider are wind blast, humidity, and clouds. All make a difference.
I am an older guy and on blood thinners. This has a negative effect on me.

At 55 degrees traveling at 45 mph the wind chill is 33 degrees F.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:01:05 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
I've ridden down to 7F, but think nothing of riding in the 40's.. I wear snowmobile gear and ride in comfort.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
I attempt to ride year round in Minnesnowda. I have really good cold weather riding gear and a bigger wind screen on my DT so cold is not a big issue. I have ridden  down to the single digits above zero. The problem I have is the snow and ice. This year I have not gotten a break because is has been non stop snow and bitterly below zero highs. I'm hoping that later this month things will turn around and I can ride again. This week is again forecasted with below zero crap.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »
    Fortunately for me I'm retired. I bought my scooter just for pleasure riding. That being said, I only ride in the warmer weather. If I'm all bundled up and cold, it's not fun for me. I enjoy riding the back roads at a leisurely pace when it's nice and warm. I try not to get caught in the rain if possible. Being 70 years old also plays a factor.  (I'm on blood thinners for my heart)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:11:17 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
my scoot has been parked because to much ice on the roads.Ill ride all year if the roads are clear.
A little snow is ok but safty frist.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
I'll ride in any temp. Dress right and your golden, sorry to say we have snow on the ground here for the past few weeks and expecting much more. I don't chance snow and ice, may be grounded for the month of Feb. too.

I've ridden many times in the single digits, full wind screen and coverall's
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
I saw 6 F on the bank sign the other morning - big smile on my face because it was so good to be riding again.
Smile thawed about 45 mins after I got to work.
2 balaclavas and a wool scarf tied over the lower face, full modular helmet, Frogtogg rain pants (help some), 4 layers under my armored hi-viz jacket, leather gloves (won't hold warmth past 60 mins - but good for work commute)
Frankly I wondered how cold a KYMCO scooter can stand,.....I mean, at what temp is it harmful to the scooter?Any one have knowledge?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
Petrol freezes at about -45°C.
But from my experience it is already hard to start the engine at -20°C. Oil thick, battery weak, not enough compression and spraying of fuel, weak spark.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()