Author Topic: Another one bites the dust...  (Read 3383 times)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Another one bites the dust...
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »
Just blew my third piston on my Peop. Actually it happened about a month ago and I was just too lazy, or it was too cold, or I really didn't want to find out what happened  ;) . Been riding my beater zx50 on the occasion it's warm enough or I really need to be somewhere. About to transfer to a university so only taking online classes this semester. Sort of an intermission for me.  :D

For those of you who don't know, I have a 2010 People 50 2t. Has tecnigas pipe, malossi variator, dell orto carb, malossi 70cc bbk, and... sh** I can't remember what else.  ::)

I have a few options for rebuilding the top end this time. I'll get to that. Fist lets see some pics of the blow components huh...
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Another one bites the dust...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
..what oil you using, pete?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »

*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
..what the hell!!...rings shattered!!

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
Don't worry the dog hair in the first pic didn't cause this  ;)

..what oil you using, pete?
Well, was using amsoil for a long time. Recently switched to... I'll have to go look. sh**, I just threw away the bottle the other day. Bought it at a Polaris dealership. Supposed to be good stuff. Was supposed to have less odor. I'm not sure if it did or didn't. Either way I don't really attribute that to it. Look the pics and you'll see.

The rings caught the exhaust port. Short story, a little while before it blew up it started running really funny. Would idle fine, but would break up at WOT. After trying everything I could think of I finally just tore down the top end and in the process found a shot exhaust gasket. The piston, rings, and cylinder all looked good... really good, so I replaced all the gaskets and cleaned up the carbon build up in the exhaust port. Got it back together and it ran good again. About a month later complete compression loss.

First off let me state I have never taken the time to chamfer all the ports on my new cylinders. I know I should have. I guess I figured if I spent 200 f'in dollars it should be fine to just bolt on. Like most of us on here I learn as I go. At the time of the install I didn't know I was completely oblivious.

So, here's what I think happened. As I said I cleaned the carbon out of the exhaust port like any logical thinking person would. When I think back the carbon was built up around the edge of the port. In essence acting as a guide for the rings as the rings moved past the port. When I cleaned the carbon out it allowed the rings to snag the port as I assume it had been until the carbon built up. The rings simply couldn't take any more of it and from the looks of it it snagged one good time and obliterated the rings. Actually I'm surprised the piston is still in one piece. That didn't happen the first two times.

I should also say that my factory piston and cylinder failed in the exact same way. hmmmm.... Yeah...  :-\
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:45:37 PM »
..I was just about to say, that looks almost exactly like nina's oem ring failure..got pics somewhere..

..and yeah...smoothing those edges and polishing the ports will make a difference on any new install..

..so you said you had a cpl options on your next build..

...do tell!

:)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:10:43 AM by wordslinger »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »
Well first is the obvious. Buy another malossi kit, chamfer, polish and take my time with it since I can right now. Really don't want to spend $200 right now though.

Second, I have been looking at this Naraku kit http://www.racingplanetusa.com/cylinder-naraku-sport-70cc-kymco-horiz-p-922-1.html?cPath=2_18_106&sessID=64e80e5bfa495d5543dba3603a281d97#.UvVzaoXYc1A. Much less than malossi. Don't know if anyone on here has any experience with these. Specifically the 2t ones.

Third is to take the cylinder I have now, which is really not in bad shape at all, lightly hone, deburr, chamfer, and polish the ports. Then slap a 47 mm piston in and hope for the best. Definitely seems to be a feasible option.

Fourth is the cheapest option. Slinger you may remember zombie telling me about a new 47.5mm yamaha piston on ebay. It being like 7 bucks I went ahead and ordered it. It has sat in a drawer for almost 2 years now. I figure I could take the first malossi cylinder I have and hone it out .5 over. It's in worse shape than this recent one, but the groves in the walls should come out going .5mm oversize. The only other thing is zombie did say that I have to take 3mm I think off the piston skirts. Shouldn't be a big deal. I have a die grinder and a steady hand. The only cost for me would be a cylinder hone and a set of t gauges. About $35 off amazon. At this point I really think I will go this route. I figure if I screw it up I can always go with option 1 2 or 3 and at least I'll still have the hone and t gauge set. I see it as a good opportunity to try my hand some mild engine building without much to lose. If it works I'll be that much prouder that I didn't just buy bolt on parts.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:19:06 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:03 AM »
..dude, I like option 4's thinking...

;)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »
Cool  8)

I gotta dig up zombies thread. Fortunately I did copy and paste it over to a document on my computer. Just have to dig it up.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »
..ain't had any contact with zman in a year or so...

..perplexing, somewhat...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
Yeah, I miss ol zombie. He's a smart dude. He kinda just dropped off the forum.

Guess he dropped all the knowledge he could on here  :)

Sure wish he would come look at my zx for 5 minutes. Tell me if it's running like it should.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »
About to transfer to a university so only taking online classes this semester.
If operated as a moped in North Carolina . . sounds like you are being schooled in the downside of "gaming the system".  Probably would have been less expensive, and much less aggravating, to initially purchase at least a 125cc used GY6 4-stroke model and legally register it.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »
Or I could buy a real bike. I know the laws dude. Thanks anyway.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 01:46:22 AM »
..wtf...lmao...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 02:45:34 AM »
..tortoise is not familiar with North Carolina's "liquor sickle" laws...

:o

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()