Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 6320 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Where do you live?
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:07 AM »
   Now that I have a scooter capable of taking longer rides, I would like to find fellow enthusiasts to ride with. I wish all forum members would put their city and state (US) addresses somewhere in their signature blocks. Maybe if folks aren't too far apart they could hook up for rides. In my case, I'm also a retired mechanic with a heated garage and lots of tools. I would be more than willing to help any DIY scooter owners in the area with routine maintenance and minor mods. If their location is in their posts, folks could reach out and help if needed. Just a thought!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:03 AM »
I live in Huntsville, Al.  Lots of motorcycle riders around here but not very many scooter riders.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:44 AM »
Tampa, Florida. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:35 AM »
Brownsville, Oregon.
We have two upstairs bedrooms and a bath available in our straw bale house for those who need a place to rest (I was going to write "crash" but it just didn't sound right) for a day or two. No charge, just bring a six-pack. This is perfect riding country. 90 minutes to the Pacific Ocean, 90 minutes to Mt. Hood with the only year 'round skiing in the lower US, and 90 minutes to Portland.

And Stig, I was just kidding earlier. You're more than welcome. I would love to meet you in person.

541-990-0493  dwa@peak.org
Peace and Ride Safe 
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »
mrmike.
Let me know if you're heading south. My son, Mike, lives in Ithaca. He was visiting last weekend and took a short ride on my Like 200i. Loved it, but said it didn't have quite the oomph of his Suzuki 800. Gee, imagine that! He would love to meet you and would probably rent a scooter someplace to ride with you.
Peace and Ride Safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

wan72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:40 AM »
Gold Coast Australia...... Might be a little far.
Wanda.....
Gold Coast, Australia

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:33 AM »
mrmike.
Let me know if you're heading south. My son, Mike, lives in Ithaca. He was visiting last weekend and took a short ride on my Like 200i. Loved it, but said it didn't have quite the oomph of his Suzuki 800. Gee, imagine that! He would love to meet you and would probably rent a scooter someplace to ride with you.
Peace and Ride Safe.

I may take you up on that this summer. I love to go down to Ithaca to see the waterfalls and parks. Beautiful area for riding! I bought my first scooter (People 150) from Jerry at Gold Sport Cycles in Ithaca.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:40:40 AM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »
I live in Las Vegas, Nevada which is home to the annual HighRollers Vegas Scooter Rally happening Feb 27,28, March 1st and 2nd. The weather should be perfect to ride.  Don't worry, Vegas will finally have two water parks this year not that Cowabunga Bay is finally opening up.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:32 AM »
I live in the Philippines and for those who want to visit... you can do this.....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:17 AM »
Grandrapids Michigan.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:19 AM »
  members would put their city and state somewhere in their signature blocks.

Should be a requirement when you sign up.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 07:15:14 AM »
Should be a requirement when you sign up.

People would place fictitious addesses anyway...

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
People would place fictitious addesses anyway...

Tis true..
I've been a moderator/administrator on a couple forums over the years and while I've never forced it, I've requested it in the initial email and PM to new members. I even told them it was in an effort to eliminate spammers, but some people just don't want to give out the information..

About 1% of them make more than 3 posts before never being heard from again. The 1% guy has made it part of his schtick, claiming to be a NSA agent or something. Of course if you look at the IP address of most of the posts you'll know exactly where he's from, anyway.

I always post my general area, but I'll need to know someone personally to give them the actual town.

And I'm located on the IL/WI stateline, halfway between the big lake and the big river. :) But if moderators look at my posting IP address they'll see that I wander a fair amount.. I repair paper making machines all over the US, so I travel for work almost every week.. I'll be in Savannah, GA later this week, and through the weekend, and then in Macon, GA next week before wandering back home.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:23:37 PM by paper »

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Tis true..
I've been a moderator/administrator on a couple forums over the years and while I've never forced it, I've requested it in the initial email and PM to new members. I even told them it was in an effort to eliminate spammers, but some people just don't want to give out the information..

About 1% of them make more than 3 posts before never being heard from again. The 1% guy has made it part of his schtick, claiming to be a NSA agent or something. Of course if you look at the IP address of most of the posts you'll know exactly where he's from, anyway.

I always post my general area, but I'll need to know someone personally to give them the actual town.

And I'm located on the IL/WI stateline, halfway between the big lake and the big river. :) But if moderators look at my posting IP address they'll see that I wander a fair amount.. I repair paper making machines all over the US, so I travel for work almost every week.. I'll be in Savannah, GA later this week, and through the weekend, and then in Macon, GA next week before wandering back home.

Paper

That's just what I meant. If folks see someone in their "General Area", and they are fairly close, they could make an effort to contact them through this forum. Then possibly they could meet up to go on rides or work on their scoots.

I also meant for members to show their "General Area" in the signature block of their profile. That way it would show up on all of your posts.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:53:56 PM by mrmike »

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
         That's just what I meant. If folks see someone in their "General Area", and they are fairly close, they could make an effort to contact them through this forum. Then possibly they could meet up to go on rides or work on their scoots.

I couldn't agree more.  :D It's like if a dealer or a location is having a bike night or social gathering, it's fun to get a bunch of people together. It gives everyone a chance to learn about others before investing an afternoon or something.. I've invited guys to ride with a group I ride with to go have breakfast and it's awkward if riding styles are VERY different.

Regional forums tend to cover too large of areas, too.. And my idea of a regional ride might be a lot different than the next guy's.  :o  My typical day ride is 300 miles, and that's pretty relaxed with a stop for breakfast, lunch, and some local geegawing. But I have no issue sitting on the bike for an hour+, and others aren't comfortable for 20 minutes.

A local gathering with good hearted discussion will sometimes eliminate what could turn out to be a bad ride, with someone riding above their comfort level and chancing injury.

And if nothing else, it's fun meeting new people who enjoy similar activities. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()