Author Topic: Noise from the back side  (Read 2192 times)

hgw75

• View Profile
Noise from the back side
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:05:19 PM »
OK,ye of great wisdom. A "rump,rump,rump" from the belt pully area at first taking off,then it disappears.
Yes, I have cleaned the pulley and belt area which improved the noise for awhile. Also, sometimes
when taking off I hear a squeal as if the belt is slipping. I have 8700 miles on the scoot so far.
Does not over rev. or do anything else different. WHAT DO YE OF GREAT WISDOM THINK???? ???
see:  http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=816.0  on noise.   Thanks
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:21:55 PM by hgw75 »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Noise from the back side
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »
rump,rump,rump

...hmmm....

..i dunno...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »
Sometimes I hear the squeal, but not the rump.
The belt contains rubber and esp. if cold, it's slippery.
Accelerating from idling stresses the belt and the engine is still calm enough to hear other noises.
Might happen at 120kph too, but then we can't hear.

I imagine the rump is caused by some worn out part. Perhaps the belt.
Or the pulley isn't aligned.
But 8700 miles isn't much for the Xciting variomatic, this should last at least double distance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:53:09 PM by ts1 »

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
Mine was making a similar noise as you described when the last belt was near the end of its run, but that was at about 11k miles. I did change it at 13k miles I think. I do not have my log with me right now.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:42 AM »
Hi There, I'm far too new in the scooter folk to think I would even recognise that noise on my scooter (800km only) it's all so new to me but I have been working with machines with pullies and belts for many years and think that it could be some sort of deformity or delamination developing in the belt. I have seen this happen a few times on belts and its not always visible during normal inspection. Generally means having the belt in your hands and turning it inside out while inspection every inch. I hope you solve the problem. Regards from Durban RSA. PS. Nice to see some activity on the forum.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »
I agree w/ Bryan, Sounds like a defective belt. I would change asap, just for the peace of mind. If you continue to have issues a little closer look at what is happening while running could help. (on the center stand, cover off)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
It was my rear break.Cleaned it up,a little nevercease on the slider pins and no more noise. Checked the belt.cleaned and dry lubed the weights,all looked good there.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()