Author Topic: ran over "road kill" this morning :(  (Read 1502 times)

kajungirl

• View Profile
ran over "road kill" this morning :(
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:15 AM »
Ok driving to work this morning going 45+ mph. there was a dead dog the size of a lab maybe a bit smaller in the middle lane of the lane I was driving in. I am purring along going 45 no cars are swaying or swerving trying to miss the poor dead dog. they were just driving directly over it because their cars and trucks cleared it just fine. So not enough time to brake or swerve so I went directly over it going about 40 maybe a little more, cant believe I didn't catch any air well maybe a tiny bit but landed safely over the dog. and was in a bit of shock after it happened but just kept going had to get to work. very strange experience

Momma bear

• View Profile
Re: ran over "road kill" this morning :(
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
OMG! Glad you weren't hurt.
People300i

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
I know the feeling been there done that. Sometimes when I hit a bumb in the road I worry more about the scoot then my self.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
It's something to keep in mind and force you to drive in car tire track lanes. I was in mid corner years ago in town when the car in front of me straddled a catalytic converter.. I didn't see it and ran right up it while turning. The front wheel rode up it and then slid off, the bike jockeying to the right. My passenger and I stayed upright, but the converter took a good chuck of fiberglass out of my lower (BMW K75S)..

It was heavy traffic, doing about 35 in town, and I didn't see it until it popped out from under the car in front of me...

Lesson learned without injury.

And animal road kill can be slippery, too.. Be careful out there.  :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »
..I cased a really big dead raccoon once, but nothing as big as a lab..yet......

..still it was a wild ride for a cpl of seconds...

..admittedly, I was probably following too close to the car in front of me, and didn't have enough time to react...

It's something to keep in mind and force you to drive in car tire track lanes

..absolutely!!!..and keep a 4-5 second distance when possible, from the vehicle in your front...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

kajungirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »
I am glad that I was not hurt too. And I will try not to follow to close maybe a few more seconds behind. I did hear the animal express air was kinda gross squeaky toy kind of noise. It is a main road in town and I know that it wasn't there long and I made sure to look for it today but someone took care of it. I am sorry to have ran over it and feel bad for the dog passing. But in that scenario so many things could have gone so wrong in literally the blink of an eye. Be careful and watch out for "Road Kill"

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
I did hear the animal express air was kinda gross squeaky toy kind of noise

:o

..yikes!!

???

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:50 AM »
Night time road kill is the worse. Just hope you have good lights on your scoot.
I hit a pipe off a old muffler befor. It made the scoot go sideways good thing I was able to come to a safe stop.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
I am glad that I was not hurt too. And I will try not to follow to close maybe a few more seconds behind. I did hear the animal express air was kinda gross squeaky toy kind of noise. It is a main road in town and I know that it wasn't there long and I made sure to look for it today but someone took care of it. I am sorry to have ran over it and feel bad for the dog passing. But in that scenario so many things could have gone so wrong in literally the blink of an eye. Be careful and watch out for "Road Kill"

Maybe you put the dog out of it's misery.  I always feel bad when I hit an animal, but it's not like I meant to do it.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
My cousin T-boned an elk in Sula, Montana a few years ago and was critically injured.  It took a couple of years to get his health fully back.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:27:46 PM »
My cousin T-boned an elk

..That's my biggest concern on the way in to work...

..not elk, but white-tail deer...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()