Author Topic: CVT transmission overhaul  (Read 4051 times)

mmaxima

• View Profile
CVT transmission overhaul
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
My bike was idling a little rough and there's always noise coming from the transmission crank case. It doesn't affect the riding. Just very annoying when bike is idling. First I ordered a new transmission belt. After taking out the old belt, I realized that the old one and new one have different part number. Since I'm not the original owner, I'm not sure if it was original or replace incorrectly by previous owner. After the new belt, the bike idle much smoother. But during installation, I accidentally damage the pulley weight and probably something else. So I decide to replace all the CVT transmission including the pulley assembly and clutch assembly. Just got my parts last night and installed them. What a difference. Bike is in like new condition now. I always thought it was a clog up carburetor causing the idle issue. I'm just glad that everything is good now. My bike is a 2007 with 12,000 miles.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: CVT transmission overhaul
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
..awesome mmaxima!!

..love those personal success stories!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:00:32 AM »
Glad to hear you got it working up to par!
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »
I learned my lesson when I screw up I replacing the belt. Changing the transmission was a lot smoother. It took about 1 hour from start to finish. The only hard part is to squeeze the clutch assembly so the belt will go deeper into the clutch plate. You'll not able to install the front pulley if the belt is not seated deep into the clutch plate.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 03:38:46 AM »
I learned my lesson when I screw up I replacing the belt. Changing the transmission was a lot smoother. It took about 1 hour from start to finish. The only hard part is to squeeze the clutch assembly so the belt will go deeper into the clutch plate. You'll not able to install the front pulley if the belt is not seated deep into the clutch plate.

..true!!

8)

..I live down in the 50cc boards, where we tweak and mod out scoots for more horsepower and torque...

..we swap these parts out sometimes, two or three times a day if we're tuning an upgrade...

..you now know more about your scoot than 50% of your compadres..!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:45:56 AM by wordslinger »

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
Not sure if I'm any better than other people. But I'm sure I save quite a bit by doing all the work myself.

..true!!

8)

..I live down in the 50cc boards, where we tweak and mod out scoots for more horsepower and torque...

..we swap these parts out sometimes, two or three times a day if we're tuning an upgrade...

..you now know more about your scoot than 50% of your compadres..!

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
What lesson did you learn? Having never done it before, I'd like to avoid the same mistake when it comes time to change my belt.

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »
You have to squeeze the clutch assembly so the belt will go deeper into the clutch plate.If you don't do so, you will not be able to close the front pulley plates. If the front pulley plate is open, you can't fasten the nut all the way in. When you start the bike, front pulley plate will disassemble.

What lesson did you learn? Having never done it before, I'd like to avoid the same mistake when it comes time to change my belt.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:50:10 PM by mmaxima »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 12:44:35 AM »
.. thatsa good lesson to learn...

;)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 05:28:48 AM »
The only hard part is to squeeze the clutch assembly so the belt will go deeper into the clutch plate. You'll not able to install the front pulley if the belt is not seated deep into the clutch plate.

The trick is to take a pry bar and separate the rear split pulley.  Once you pry it - it unlocks and stays that way (until the next time the scoot is driven).  Next, always take a test drive with the metal and plastic covers off.  This way you make sure everything is running ok before putting it completely back together.

PaulC

ifican

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
not sure i completely follow these last couple posts. When changing a belt i use am impact driver to remove cluckplate and pulley so i can inspect the clutch and also make installation as easy as possible. Are we talking about the same thing here?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
He is talking about doing all the work without removing the clutch/driven pulley assembly.
Just separating the rear pulley to allow the belt to slip down low enough to get it on/off the variator.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »
I use a little screwdriver...gently, then squeeze it with my fingers, while pushing the belt in...

..I like to handle my scoots...   8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »
..How you make it stop!!..it won't stop!!..

:o

Oh, wait...I think I just threw up in my mouth...  :-[

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()