Author Topic: 2 storke or 4 stroke  (Read 2564 times)

blue

• View Profile
2 storke or 4 stroke
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
which kind of scoot is easy to maintain as far as tuneing. 2 or 4 stroke...........
and why.

thanks need to learn more about the 2 stroke If I get one someday.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: 2 storke or 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
..2t, blue..

;)

..way easier to maintain..no engine oil to change, just keep the 2t oil reservoir filled with Amsoil...indicator lamp comes on when it get's about 4/5th empty...

..the 2-stroke engine fires every stroke, as opposed to every other stroke of a 4t, so it turns up rpms quicker, which makes performing plug chops, if you're upgrading, easier..

..cvt tuning is easier, because everything reacts quicker, and with more force than in a 4 stroke..

..timing isn't even an issue, as there are no valves that constantly need adjusting...

..shall I continue, bro??!!

:-*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:33:45 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
..2t, blue..

;)

..way easier to maintain..no engine oil to change, just keep the 2t oil reservoir filled with Amsoil...indicator lamp comes on when it get's to about 4/5th empty...

..the 2-stroke engine fires every stroke, as opposed to every other stroke of a 4t, so it turns up rpms quicker, which makes performing plug chops, if you're upgrading easier..

..cvt tuning is easier, because everything react quicker, and with more force than in a 4 stroke..

..timing isn't even an issue, as there are no valves that constantly need adjusting...

..shall I continue, bro??!!

:-*
No need to continue I understand thanks. Me think my next scoot will be a 2 stroke.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 10:38:05 PM »
..and if you do ever need to change the top end, welp, the second time I swapped one took me about 3 hours.. took longer to completely remove the old gasket than swapping the bits!

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:09:06 AM »
On the other hand...  A 4t burns less fuel per mile therefore has a longer range between fill ups. Doesn't polute as bad. Almost never fouls a spark plug. And you don't need to do a top-end rebuilt as often, if ever. Doesn't make that annoying "ringy dingy" sound.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:28:46 AM »
..I love that ringy-dingy...and the performance difference can't be argued...

..I spend 2.50- 3 bucks a day..sometimes more if I ride around town.. but my daily round trip is 35 miles...

..never fouled a plug either..got 37,000 kms out of ninas oem top end...running 60 mph...sssso....

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »
Should have put a smilie  :)  next to my comment about the ringy dingy sound. I like it too!  Also miss the days when they used caster oil and that wonderful smell...

Certainly modern 2t are so much better than they used to be in 70's era dirt bikes which was most of my expience. Fouled plugs and seized pistons weren't uncommon. Had an Ultralight with a Rotax 2t which I never flew it again after the second time it quit for no apparent reason. Talk about the pucker factor!
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
..2t scoot engines are better, especially if the scoot is derestricted and allowed to breathe..

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »
2 storkes are better than 4, in flight or on the ground.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
On the other hand...  A 4t burns less fuel per mile therefore has a longer range between fill ups. Doesn't polute as bad. Almost never fouls a spark plug. And you don't need to do a top-end rebuilt as often, if ever. Doesn't make that annoying "ringy dingy" sound.
Ive noticed 4t and 2t kymcos last just as long as each other as long as youre leaving it all stock. I have 23 k kilometers on one kymco zx50, Ive put 21k of them myself. Ive seen a lot of people replacing their 4t top ends after a blow out on here pretty often, same goes for 2t I know.
Gas mileage wise a 4t can get you better gas mileage but unfortunately it will also take you 25% longer to get to where youre going if you dont get ran down by moving traffic.
To me, Its the difference of buying a turbo charged car and a non turbo. With a turbo car (2t) you already have everything there to make it go fast just have to tune all the parts to your liking, with a 4t you have to change a lot to get even a fraction of the performance of the turbo car. I can do a cylinder swap safely and effectively in a hour on a 2t and 2 hours on a 4t, granted a I have a little bit of experience, 4t have a lot more moving parts than a 2t so theres a lot more to make sure isnt wrong.
Also theres a lot of back woods hill billys who have built some serious 2 strokes, if someone who cant read or write properly can build it then I have faith that most people can. And it always amazes me when people make 2t out to be a complicated machine when theres only 3 moving parts that make up the internals of a 2t engine.
You can do it blue!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:35:27 PM by LoveMyKymco »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
Going to look at a few cobras in the next few days. I was told this guy will let you put scoots on layaway. with 200.00 down. I might just do this.IM also leaning towatrds the syms rough house.
I like the looks of the bike and it rides like a dirt bike. on road and off Thats what I need.mmmI wonder if they come in blue..........lol

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:56:27 AM »
I miss my old two strokes...

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
You mean the Geniune Roughhouse? Its meant to compete against the zuma. Ive owned 2 and theyre fairly good scooters and the rims can take a beating.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:42 AM »
You mean the Geniune Roughhouse? Its meant to compete against the zuma. Ive owned 2 and theyre fairly good scooters and the rims can take a beating.

Ya Thats what im talking about I took one for a ride last summer for about a 60 mile trip threw some woods and trails and loved it. they can take a beating.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »
How does the 2 stroke do on long rides.I have been told sometimes 2 storkes need a cool down with long rides. with a 4 you can ride with out cool down. is this true.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()