Author Topic: Holy crap.....ICE!  (Read 3449 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Holy crap.....ICE!
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
Riding home last night on truck route 1 & 9 North bound, temps are cool, in the teens. I'm riding comfortable behind this box truck doing 40 MPH at a nice safe distance (maybe the only thing that saved me). 

So we had a bright sunny day and the truck route is at the bottom of a big hill so we get puddles, some of them big. As all the traffic hits this huge puddle (that I have yet to see) it spreds the water out along the roadway, which rapidly turns to ice.

As the box truck clears the puddle I see this stretch of ice pan out in front of me, with only a second or 2 to react I let off the gas, drop me feet to 1" above the surface of the roadway and say "Holy crap, ICE!"

I'm not a big believer in God but for that second it couldn't hurt to make a quick request.

I coasted through the ice zone without a slip or slide. Whew! Man that was a scary moment!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
Re: Holy crap.....ICE!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
I know the feeling.I found my self asking the guy up stears for help a few times.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:25 AM »
..smooth move 080, and probably the only thing saved you was your safe distance, and your lower center of gravity!

:o

..or God, but I'm not sure "Holy Crap" is much of a prayer!!

;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:05:23 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »

..or God, but I'm not sure "Holy Crap" is much of a prayer!!

;D

at least, it's Holy...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:15 AM »

at least, it's Holy...

..woop-woop!...yes it is.....

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »
In reality it went more like this, "Oh God, Oh God, sh**, sh**, sh**.....Holy sh** I didn't fall! Holy crap, man was I lucky!!!

Ain't much you can say when from start to finish you have maybe 5 seconds, 2 to size up the situation and your either on your back or past it in the 3 other seconds it took to clear the ice patch.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 02:31:52 AM »
In reality it went more like this, "Oh God, Oh God, sh**, sh**, sh**.....Holy sh** I didn't fall! Holy crap, man was I lucky!!!

...lmao..yeah, I can relate...Glad you made it thru!!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 02:59:03 AM »
I know the feeling, but mine was used cooking oil on the road...  :P

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 03:43:29 AM »
I know the feeling, but mine was used cooking oil on the road...  :P

..huh??...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »
..huh??...

a drum of used cooking oil fell off a truck....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
..dang..that had to be unexpected...

..I slipped in drainage from a garbage truck once...

..caught it before I lost it...barely...smelly too...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »
And I thought we cold weather riders were nutz.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
..well, that's just crazy.....

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:34:16 AM »
Riding home last night on truck route 1 & 9 North bound, temps are cool, in the teens. I'm riding comfortable behind this box truck doing 40 MPH at a nice safe distance (maybe the only thing that saved me). 

So we had a bright sunny day and the truck route is at the bottom of a big hill so we get puddles, some of them big. As all the traffic hits this huge puddle (that I have yet to see) it spreds the water out along the roadway, which rapidly turns to ice.

As the box truck clears the puddle I see this stretch of ice pan out in front of me, with only a second or 2 to react I let off the gas, drop me feet to 1" above the surface of the roadway and say "Holy crap, ICE!"

I'm not a big believer in God but for that second it couldn't hurt to make a quick request.

I coasted through the ice zone without a slip or slide. Whew! Man that was a scary moment!

Wait a minute!  You were on your scooter on Routes 1 and 9 at night?  That's crazy man! :)  You are a brave soul.  Glad you made it through that experience safe and sound.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »
Wait a minute!  You were on your scooter on Routes 1 and 9 at night?  That's crazy man! :)  You are a brave soul.  Glad you made it through that experience safe and sound.

On 1 & 9 most nights for a few miles, just don't tell the Mrs., It's the quickest way home.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()