Author Topic: Flat Tire  (Read 3718 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Flat Tire
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:38 AM »
Hello all,

Been a while since I've posted here. I've got a puncture on the rear tire of my Yeager. I don't have my manual with me a t the moment so I'm not sure if it's a tubeless tire, or not. Whichever the case I need to get it to my dealer to get it fixed. Is it better to use 'fixaflat, or apply a plug?

Wolf

Haarek

• View Profile
Re: Flat Tire
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
It is very likely a tubeless. The way to fix it depends on the damage done to it, but as a general rule, "fix a flat" is more of a temporary fix. And if I could choose I wouldn't want to fill my tire with gooey junk. A plug fix is both fast and easy.

Edit: I might have misunderstood your question. If the repair is not meant to be permanent, but only to get the scoot to the dealer, I suppose anything goes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:02:01 AM by Haarek »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »
Thanks Haarek,

I really just need to get the scooter to the dealership. The treads are shot, and I have damage to a muffler strut from hitting a pothole.

Thanks again,

Lowell

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
He is asking about the damage to the tire.  If it is a puncture like from a nail then the plug is best.  If it is something else like a cut or rupture it probably is not repairable.
PaulC

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
the tires are really thin compared to an auto tire so any repair will be temporary, sure plug it then ride it directly to the dealer.  I prefer to buy my tires and carry them in and yeah I would love to give the dealer the profit from the tire sale but they charge pretty much full price and I can get them delivered a week later free shipping for 55% of the dealers price so...  (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/dv/scooter-tires.aspx)   

I still recommend that you have the tires balanced if you normally ride at speeds above 45 mph the wear pays for it's self  I recently changed my front tire with 21,000 miles and the reason for changing it was the amount of crazing or cracking showing up in the tread it still had 3 32nds of tread and was both round and smooth I normally get 10 14 thousand miles from the rear tire and expect to get more from the new city grips.    Jim

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:26:53 AM »
In my old rear tire, two plugs lasted for a year...

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »
... I can get them delivered a week later free shipping for 55% of the dealers price so...     

Another good reason to get the tires online is they tend to be fresher. 
Online they sell faster.   

• At a dealer, especially in non-popular sizes the tires can sit for years. 
  • Sometimes they get exposed to sunlight from the window or when the tire rack is moved outdoors during the day to encourage buyers.   
  • Especially, if you don't ride many miles on your scoot your real enemy will be time and the cracking that comes with it not mileage.   
  • Finally, online has more brands and selection and of course price.
  • Why pay 50% more at the dealer for old tires and limited selection?  My dealer only had the rear in stock.

This post reads like an infomercial!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:15:28 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »
One quick note there are special plugs for motorcycle tires very different from regular plugs.  the tire needs to be unmounted to install these.   they look like really fat headed golf tees. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »
One quick note there are special plugs for motorcycle tires very different from regular plugs.  the tire needs to be unmounted to install these.   they look like really fat headed golf tees.

Patch plugs and not the bacon type...

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »
Another good reason to get the tires online is they tend to be fresher. 
Online they sell faster.   

• At a dealer, especially in non-popular sizes the tires can sit for years. 
  • Sometimes they get exposed to sunlight from the window or when the tire rack is moved outdoors during the day to encourage buyers.   
  • Especially, if you don't ride many miles on your scoot your real enemy will be time and the cracking that comes with it not mileage.   
  • Finally, online has more brands and selection and of course price.
  • Why pay 50% more at the dealer for old tires and limited selection?  My dealer only had the rear in stock.

This post reads like an infomercial!

While I like to support good dealers, I'm cheap.. And since I ride 30K miles a year on 6 different bikes, I'm going through a couple sets a year.
I've changed all of my own tires for 20+ years. Basically, between internet tire prices, and the lack of labor, I get every 4th tire for free when compared to dealer prices/labor. Yeah, it did require a few investments as far as spoons, a bead breaker, a static balancer and hand cleaner, but I enjoy doing it and it gives me a chance to check my brake pads and look for issues on the bike while I'm down there. And I only had to purchase the tools once.

I can typically change a tire, from start (still on the bike) to finish (cleaning hands, tools put away) in about 45 minutes. I just consider it part of motorcycle/scooter ownership. I know it's not for everyone, but for me, it's part of the fun. :)

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:54:01 PM »
...I ride 30K miles a year on 6 different bikes,...

I can typically change a tire, from start (still on the bike) to finish (cleaning hands, tools put away) in about 45 minutes. ...

Impressive miles!  It's a totally different game when you use 2 wheels to replace 4 vs it being a weekend or summer time toy.  If you lived near san diego I would gladly pay you to change my tires. 

Some people like me ask why change your own...

But, I got 2 flats in the past three years.  That gets expensive so I struggled through my first dismount / car plug & patch / mount a couple of months ago.  Interestingly, the tire would loose 90% of its pressure in a day or so.  I submerged the entire tire in water and saw NO BUBBLES

I reinstall the tire (changed the valve core) and the problem continued.  I definitely had a leak.  Took it off again and again
no bubbles (this can't be possible - yes it can is what I learned) [see how reality schooled me in a way no book or classroom ever could]

I dismounted the tire pulled the nail out (which I picked up about a year and 4K miles ago and fixed with Slime [no dismount of tire or wheel]) pulled the rusty nail out with a pliers, drilled the hole, did a plug and patch with a car tire repair kit. 
Struggled
to put the tire back on the rim and put wheel back on the scoot.  Problem resolved and stayed resolved as I have ridden about 1K since.

Couldn't resist a dramatic flair.
PC
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:04:00 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »

Couldn't resist a dramatic flair.
PC
Geez.!!
For a minute there I thought it was another youngster with a 50cc that wouldn't start....or wouldn't go 60MPH like the salesman promised!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:12:36 AM »
Impressive miles!  It's a totally different game when you use 2 wheels to replace 4 vs it being a weekend or summer time toy.  If you lived near san diego I would gladly pay you to change my tires. 

Some people like me ask why change your own...

But, I got 2 flats in the past three years.  That gets expensive

Thanks, but it's easy to do when you avoid driving. :) Well, that and a couple 10 day cross country vacations on bike and a lot of 500-1000 mile weekends..
But just as you mentioned, it's all about price. My tires, between the scooters and motorcycles average about $100 each and a couple are tube type, so there's an additional $20 cost of a tube to add in there..
And there's one other issue that's caused me to change my own. Bad dealerships. Most are excellent, but I've had a bad experience and know others who have had the same. So instead I learned the process from others who do the same. And I've passed the information and process onto others.

I have no idea who my local Kymco dealer might be, and where I used to have an amazing BMW dealer within 15 miles, after they retired, my closest dealer is now about 2 hours away. So I do my own service on everything.

Don't tell anyone, but I looked at my Kymco People service manual tonight. :)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »
In a tire shop here, labor charge for a tire change is around 50 pesos or around $1.15 !!!  Hahaha, I'd rather pay, sit on a bench and have my coffee and donuts...

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:22 AM »
I've had a bad experience and know others who have had the same. So instead I learned the process from others who do the same.

Don't tell anyone, but I looked at my Kymco People service manual tonight. :)

looked at the manual ... lol.

When I brought two wheels into a local dealer one from my old bmw and another for a Yamaha virago the tire guys refused at first to do the bmw wheel because they don't sell bmw.  I told them they put that tire on and the tire before that.  They then agreed to do it.  When they did the yamaha they left the old wheel weights on and did not add new ones.  I said the old wheel weighs balanced a new tire of a different brand?  I asked them to re-spin the tire and they said no need as it spun zero (perfect balance the first time).  Ok.... 

Last change about a year ago I was charged $94 for my Grandvista and I brought the wheels and tires in!
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()