Author Topic: Another milestone made!  (Read 3271 times)

Metreaus

• View Profile
Another milestone made!
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:53 AM »
Yep, Metreaus clocked its 25,000th KM just last night (03-09). Changed the oils today, and I'm going to wash it up tomorrow.

But before it turned 25, I rode it down U.S. 1 to Petersburg just to get out of the house. I took this one while taking a break at a nearby park. The second photo was taken on a bridge.

joebro

• View Profile
Re: Another milestone made!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:55:03 AM »
Nice here is proof of that Kymco reliability! :D So if u dont mind my asking did u put them on all the miles yourself and what work has it had to keep in running condition?
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:45 AM »
no zombies on sight!....  8)

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »
Nice here is proof of that Kymco reliability! :D So if u dont mind my asking did u put them on all the miles yourself and what work has it had to keep in running condition?

The first 19,000 were put on by the previous owner, who bought it in 2009. I've put on the rest since I bought it in November.

Rotella oil has been the ONLY oil used in this scooter ever. I change the engine oil as soon as the odometer starts a new 1,000 or shortly after; I'll change it again as soon as it cracks 26,000km.

Besides that, I've:

1. Replaced the spark plug to an NGK.

2. Cleaned the airbox regularly using brake cleaner.

3. Replaced the petcock and main carb jet due to age.

4. Changed the gear oil (Valvoline 80w-90 limited slip oil) at 20,000km.

5. Back tire was replaced prior to me buying it, but I'll be buying new tires soon (preferably City Grips).

6. Adjusted valves to 0.04, both I/E (intake and exhaust). They haven't needed an adjustment since.

7. Removed the PVAP emissions system. PAIR system remains intact.

8. Sprayed the exhaust pipe with Rustoleum to protect from weather and road salts.

9. Used SeaFoam in the gas, as the Richmond Metro does NOT have any pure-gas stations. No issues with carb gum up. I've also used it in my crankcase oil* to keep the valves clean and quiet.

Planned work I have for it:

1. Replace stock variator with Dr. Pulley variator and 14g slider weights, and change the belt.

2. Replace clutch assembly with new (modified) stock assembly, only the clutch bell will be perforated (better cooling) and the contra spring will be the "2 Grander" spring. The remainder of the assembly will be stock.

3. Replace tires, front is stock and JUST started to cup while the rear is a replacement and is started to bald in the center.

4. Inside case cleaning, upgrade to a 12-pole stator, and replace flywheel. If the cylinder/head go out, a 61mm BBK and new crankshaft will be installed. The former will only be done if the latter happens (do it all at once)!

5. Install EcoTrons EFI kit.

6. Install Puig Touring Windshield.

*Yes, you can use SeaFoam in your crankcase oil. It says so on the can. Just pour it in FIRST before putting in new oil when doing oil changes, then change it again when the oil gets dirty.

SeaFoam is oil-based, not alchohol based as some may think. If I'm lying, someone has a false advertising lawsuit to file...

Feel free to ask any more questions!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:28:07 AM by Metreaus »

Momma bear

• View Profile
Another milestone made!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
Congrats on your milestone!
Nice scoot
. You would definitely be someone I would sell a vehicle to and know it would be well taken care of.
People300i

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
Ditto to everything Momma bear said. Good job man keep it up!
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
Yeah, keep up the good work! You are one of the many on this forum that take good care of his (or her) scoot(s).

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
Thanks everyone! One would learn the essentials of scooter care after owning a few "ChiCom" scooters. I owned 3 of those before picking up Metreaus and I'd have to say it's been worth the investment.

I bought it from the previous owner (who advertised it on Craigslist) for....$425. Yep, just $425 and got an extra 3/4 helment and motorcycle cover along with it. I've gotten WAAAAAAAAAAAY more out of it than I've paid for (intial buy, maintenance/repairs).

I took it down to Charlottesville and back on Tuesday (which is 148 miles total, to and from). I'll post pics when I get back home from work.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:14 AM »
SeaFoam...! Folks are putting this on their salad now!
The good news is....seems like the stuff does no harm!
Anyway....good job with your scooter, Metreaus.
Talk about a fellow who's getting his $$ worth!
Ride safe - and looking forward to your pictures.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
Alrighty, and now time for the photos from my Charlottesville trip...

This photo was taken early in the morning on a quick rest break in Goochland...

This one was taken later in the day in Fluvanna...

Another shot, same place.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
SeaFoam...! Folks are putting this on their salad now!
The good news is....seems like the stuff does no harm!

I've personally watched it work wonders on more than one occasion..

And I'm glad to see another Rotella fan.. I use it in all of my bikes (except for my Kymco two smoker) :)

Thanks for the pics Metreaus! I love seeing people tour on scooters, and rack up big miles.. I know of two Honda Helix's that have over 75K miles and are still running strong!!

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »
Congrats on your bike. I have a 2012 Kymco Agility 125 and I have just barely put on 10k miles on it. I take my bike to the dealer where the mechanic uses AMS oil for it. No problems at all. I believe as long as you take of your bike it will take care of you.
I had two ChiCom scooters before I was able to purchase the Kymco 125. I would never go back to having those bikes. They are horrendous. Have fun with your bike. May she give you many more miles to enjoy on your riding adventures. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
UPDATE:

I replaced the tires yesturday (03-22/2014) with a new Pirelli SL36 "Sinergy" tire (120/70-12) and a Michellin City Grip (130/70-12, for the rear). The place I got them from (Scoot Richmond) didn't have any front Michelin City Grips in stock and I was trying to swap tires while I had a free moment, so I took the Pirelli front instead. I also had the valve stems replaced. The wheels themselves are in VERY good condition, but I will repaint them in the future.

These two photos are of the new front tire...

And these two are of the new rear...

I must say that these two tires are a tag team duo with the excellent grip! Cornering was much easier with those tires than the old ones and the ride was much smoother. It almost felt like I put on an air ride suspension riding over the various cracks, bumps, and depressions in the Richmond streets.

More to come!

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
Nice sipes on the City Grips . Have heard good things about them .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:28 AM »
Pirelli are good tires. When I had my old Chinese 50cc, I had to replace my front tire since it got a nail in it. Either way you cannot go wrong.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()