Author Topic: Another milestone made!  (Read 3270 times)

Momma bear

• View Profile
Another milestone made!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
Nice new sneakers for your scoot!
Ride safe
People300i

Metreaus

• View Profile
Re: Another milestone made!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »
UPDATE (03-27/2014):

It looks like the engine is just about had it with me. I noticed a massive loss of power while out riding today, so I went to a mechanic friend of mine who owns a compression tester. Turns out the compression is now close to about 145-150psi and starting to decrease, indicating ring wear. I was also informed of the head being on its last legs, as the valves have begun tapping much louder than usual (especially under load) even though they are still set at 0.04".

As such, I've decided swap the engine with a "standard" GY6. While I'd LOVE nothing more than to rebuild/upgrade the original engine with new components, it would be quite cost and time-prohibitive for me to do so. It'd also be cost-prohibitive for me to buy an entirely new Kymco engine (unless I just happen to find a 150cc KDU engine for around $400 or less).

My mechanic has offered me a new standard GY6 engine for $350 installed and I'm inclined to take it. I'm gonna have it installed next week unless I'm able to find one better.

I know, I know...bike desecration and all that, but I want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
UPDATE (03-27/2014):

It looks like the engine is just about had it with me. I noticed a massive loss of power while out riding today, so I went to a mechanic friend of mine who owns a compression tester. Turns out the compression is now close to about 145-150psi and starting to decrease, indicating ring wear. I was also informed of the head being on its last legs, as the valves have begun tapping much louder than usual (especially under load) even though they are still set at 0.04".

As such, I've decided swap the engine with a "standard" GY6. While I'd LOVE nothing more than to rebuild/upgrade the original engine with new components, it would be quite cost and time-prohibitive for me to do so. It'd also be cost-prohibitive for me to buy an entirely new Kymco engine (unless I just happen to find a 150cc KDU engine for around $400 or less).

My mechanic has offered me a new standard GY6 engine for $350 installed and I'm inclined to take it. I'm gonna have it installed next week unless I'm able to find one better.

I know, I know...bike desecration and all that, but I want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.
Aw Met....sorry to hear this....but you got a lot of miles and love out of that stock Kymco!
A new GY6 installed for $350 sounds like good financial sense as you are experienced in keeping scoots healthy and on the road.
Please show us some pix of the engine work...and give us a full report!
Hang in there scooter-man!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:46 PM »
UPDATE (04-19/2014):

Engine swap work on Metreaus is underway. I bought a used 150cc long case engine for $200, but it needed a replacement head. A friend of mine had one in good condition and let me buy it for $18 (including appropriate gaskets.

Upon disassembly of the engine (for inspection and head installation), I saw just how well spent that $200 was.

The piston/cylinder was nice and fresh, as the rings aren't even seated yet; you can still squeeze 'em together! And not to mention that performance cooling fan...so far so good. Checked the CVT components, gears, and filled up all oils (gear, engine) prior to install.

The 150cc engine is succesfully mounted to the frame but because of the longer wheel shaft, I had to order a swingarm bracket and spacers (awaiting delivery). I also ordered a new airbox and a flywheel puller (awaiting delivery) to transplant the Kymco stator over to the new engine as the stator wiring on a standard gy6 does not match that of the Kymco's. I'm going to order a new exhaust/muffler to replace the old, worn one as well.

In the meantime, I got another ChiCom scooter (nicknamed Buster) on a mechanic's special, which I'm using to get to/from work and what not while work to Metreaus is done. I'm gonna keep Buster even after Metreaus is brought back to glory so that I won't go through the downtime again. I lost some good-paying computer repair sidejobs in the past couple of weeks due to not having a running scooter, so this is a lesson learned (never put your eggs in one basket!).

Anywho, here's a looksie at Buster. Enjoy!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
no zombies on sight!....  8)

Peek-a boo!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()