Author Topic: OIL LIGHT ON, SCOOTER WON'T START  (Read 8753 times)

stammer1

• View Profile
OIL LIGHT ON, SCOOTER WON'T START
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
JUST BROUGHT OUT MY 2013 300GT SCOOTER AFTER A LONG WINTER. SCOOTER WAS STORED IN A 50 DEGREE HEATED GARAGE. STARTED UP SCOOTER SEVERAL TIMES DURING STORAGE. WENT ON 5 MILE RIDE TODAY, STOPPED TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT. CAME BACK OUT AND SCOOTER WOULDN'T START AND THE OIL LIGHT IS SHOWING ON THE DASH. BEFORE WINTER STORAGE DEALERSHIP DID FIRST INTIAL OIL CHANGE. I CHECKED OIL STICK AND THERES PLENTY. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: OIL LIGHT ON, SCOOTER WON'T START
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:22:22 AM »
The oil light is for oil pressure.  When the key is ON and the engine is NOT running, there is No oil pressure so the light should be ON.
The oil light should go out when the engine is running.

So you need to tell us more about the "not running".  Does the engine turn over but not start ?
Or does the starter just go "click, click" ?

Most likely, the battery is weak and needs to be charged.
Or the side stand is down ?

Tell us more.
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

stammer1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »
WHEN I TURN THE KEY ALL LIGHTS ON THE DASH LIGHT UP BUT ALL GO OUT EXCEPT THE OIL LIGHT. THE KICK STAND WAS UP. IF THE BATTERY WAS WEAK, WOULDN'T THE SCOOTER NOT START AT ALL AND I RODE IT FOR 5 MILES SO WOULDN'T THAT HAD OF CHARGED THE BATTERY ENOUGH TO RESTART? LIGHTS AND HORN WERE STRONG.

stammer1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
WHEN I TURN THE KEY ENGINE DOESN'T EVEN TRY TO TURN OVER.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »
A battery can suddenly die.  To test a battery: (1) charge it fully and (2) take it to an auto parts store and have them test it under load.
Call in advance and find a store that can test a motorcycle/scooter battery.  The test should be free.

Does your engine start with the key or do you have to hold in on the brake lever and push the start button ?

If you have a voltmeter, you can check the voltage at the battery to see if it is 12.5 volts
but this does not tell you the amount of amperes available from the battery.

tell us more.

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:23:40 AM »
What MaryK is getting at, is that with every electrical problem, you have to eliminate everything until you find the problem.. Take your time, and try everything one issue at a time.. If the battery is good, you'll need to check the next issue.. It could be a loose ground, a bad safety switch at the lever or side stand, ignition switch, kill switch, etc..

Take your time, and don't get frustrated.. One thing at a time, and feel free to communicated with us to work on the issue.

And remember. Simple (aka cheap) stuff first.. Don't start spending money on switches or a battery unless you can verify it's the issue. :)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »
sure sounds like the kill switch, I put my gloves on top when I get off of the scooter and the gloves turned the kill switch off , sure made me think for a minute or twoo

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »
Half a week with no feedback from the OP. Thanks to those that have offered him/her help.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
A five mile ride doesn't sound long enough to recharge, especially if the bike has been started several times that month. Best to invest in an automatic battery charger.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:07 AM »
five miles isn't long enough to charge anything and he said when he turned the key it didn't try to start.  Well every single scooter i've seen has a kick start or button to start the key doesn't start the bike.  I'm gonna guess he had the kill switch on. I'd be lying if I said i hadn't done that one too.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
I'm gonna guess he had the kill switch on. I'd be lying if I said i hadn't done that one too.

I just wish the OP would come back and share what he found.  If it's the kill switch, just as you mentioned, we've all done it.. And learned from it. :)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
Look for my remark in the Pet Peeve section.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()