Author Topic: New Windshield  (Read 5186 times)

Joe7911

• View Profile
New Windshield
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
I just installed a new Cruiser Windshield from Puig.tv. They specialize in racing windshields but just released a cruiser one for the Kymco 300I. They are wind tunnel tested, so I did my own test today. at 70-75 miles per hour the bike now feels like if you are doing 40. No buffering just perfect. I'm 5'9" and I can see over screen if sitting up normal or can duck behind easily incase of heavy rain. I got the clear one but they have 3 colors light smoke and dark smoke. I wanted to make sure I had good visibly in rain or at night.
This windshield made such a difference on the bike ride, we had wind gust 15-20 MPH today and I did a 120 mile ride at least 100 miles expressway driving cruising mostly 60-65. took it up to 80 for a short while and no difference very smooth and stable an exceptional design and quality @ $200.00 including 2 day chipping its a bargain.If you are thinking of getting a windshield I strongly recommend this from Puig.tv. Fit and installation is perfect, 15- 20 minutes. Rubber gasket took time since windshield is a little thicker than factory.
 see pictures below.

RubenC

• View Profile
Re: New Windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:40:09 AM »
Hey Joe,

Where did you purchase the windshield at?
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

Turp7622

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
Looks great on the bike! 

I may have to upgrade.   8)
--2013 Kymco Downtown 300i

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
I whent on line to www.Puigusa.com and sent them a email to info@puigusa.com they replied right away and I placed my order. They will also call you if you like. The new warehouse is in Orlando, Florida. The other way is contact one of the distributors or dealers. I choose to go strait to the source. They shipped last tuesday and wednesday I had the box via FedEx.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
Hey Joe. I thought you were trying to sell your DT. Change of heart or lack of interest? How well does your Puig windshield protect your hands from the windchill? I am in the process of designing a way to mount these side cases ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/380697221575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) as I just cannot get my head to wrap around the monkey box. But to be fair, my DT is more about just pure riding fun and keeping the lines of the bike looking clean than being a commuter type vehicle. Throwing on the monkey box just destroys the perfect visual appeal (for me) of the DT so hopefully with my mad fabrication skills I will be able to figure out a way to mount these side boxes and then if all goes well, fab up sets for retail. I do like the idea of a better windshield though. Nice looking bike Joe!

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:28:35 PM »
well I had a couple of offers but I owe to much and can not afford to loose so much money on a new bike.
Si I decided to keep it for a while until I can payoff more of the bike. Kymco is a great bike but does not have the fame yet so market is very poor.
As fo rth Box I gout it for my helmet it will not fit under the seat so this was only thing left. It rains here a lot so even on a sunny day you never know get a shower and helmet becomes a pool full of water.
This windshield directs the wind around me a including my hands. I'm 5'9' and about 160LB so I was being hit with the wind on my chest and hands now gets diverted around me, cutting the wind nicely.
Like I said they got a nice factory with a wind tunnel. I guess they use all they learned from making Racing windshield for bikes like Ducati and others and now apply the technology to Cruiser windshield. Its bigger than the factory but smaller than the Givi but does not vibrate or warble at high speed and cuts trough the wind. I was very impressed on my run yesterday. Made the ride quitter and more enjoyable. High speed din't feel like before the noise and wind beating me up. Just at 65 -70 degree at 55 MPH that wind cuts you like a knife even with leather and protection gear. Now I cruised at 60-65 with a light jacket and felt great. I felt a little cool on my elbows and outer arms but if I tucked in nothing.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
The Givi does give a little bit more hand protection.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »
I hear you Joe on the resale issue. I hadnt even planned on owning a DT 300i as it just fell into my lap. I  was in the market for a 2009-2011 Yamaha Majesty as I had limited funds for my first real scooter, my 85 Honda elite 150 not withstanding. Then one morning I found this 2013 Kymco with 257 miles on Craigslist here in the DFW area and the asking price was only 4200 which happened to be a few bennys past my budget. But finding no really good Majesty's out there I figured I'd buy the DT, flip it and then go buy a new Majesty. Well I put it on craigslist and it languished there for 4 months. But as luck would have it, I fell in love with my DT and now am thankful it didnt sell. But eventually the word of how good and reliable Kymcos are will get out there and resale values should go up.

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »
Yes Givi may appear to give better hand protection but look at enclosed factory comparison picture it has the inverted V for hand protection like the Givi but at the same time it courses up and the angles it has you have to see in person. This curves and slants are due to wind tunnel adjustment so with a smaller windshield it diverts the wind around the rider but still cuts the wind and does not act as a wall or a chute. This picture shows more but the actual piece is were you can appreciate it. And like I said before being a little shorter allows me to either see trough the windshield or over it if I need to.
This windshield also has the blackout that fades into clear like the factory one giving it that finished look. I saw one windshield that its clear all the way down so you have to get creative to block the plastic and screws on dash board. Believe me I studied and tread everything I could and spoke to the Manufacturer before spending my $204.00 for the windshield. I just returning anything.
Givi was my second choice but opted to wait till Puig finished the design and manufacture the screen, in all I waited since las May. I almost sold the bike but its a great commuter bike and dependable, just needs a windshield, more stooge for helmet and next is the seat and better grips that absorb more vibration.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
The Givi is not in the picture to compare. It is just 2 of the Puig and the factory windscreen.
The Givi also uses the "V" by the hands that the Puig does. I am 5 10 and have no wind buffeting from the Givi and can also look over or through the screen.

The Givi gives great hand protection with it's design and is 25 inches across compared to 20 inches on the Puig.
The height difference is 32 inches for the Givi and 30 for the Puig for anyone that wants that comparison.
It's also $40 less then the Puig.

But to each their own since something like that comes down to personal preference anyways.

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
I have a Givi windshield & I am impressed with it, much netter than the stock kymco windshield. It directs the wind around past the hands protecting them from wind chill & giving better aerodynamics. Givi has a much larger surface giving more protection to the rider.
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

lizzaanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »
Hello.  I need to replace my factory windshield due to a tip-over.  I am only 5'5" tall and the puig sounds great but I'm concerned I won't be able to see over the top of it.  I'm not sure how everyone has figured their windshield measurements.  I measured my factory windshield and it is, 10.75 inches from the center/top of the dash to the top of the windshield.  Would someone please be so kind as to tell me what this same measurement is on the Puig windshield?  Thank you so much.  I'm in MN and want to have it ready to ride just as soon as it is warm enough.  Thanks again!

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
I will measure the windshield as soon as I get home. Like the picture shows, this windshield is a little larger than the factory but a little smaller than the Givi. This are the 2 windshields that I'm aware of being available for the DT 300i.
I'm 5'9 and I'm able to see over it. It has also to do if one sits up tall or leans forward.
The total price I paid for it was $204.00 but included Shipping via FedEx, only took 2 days.
I would suggest contacting www.puigusa.com directly. the email is info@puigusa.com and they will tell you if it is in stock.
Mine I had to wait about 6 weeks because its a brand new item and needed to come from Spain. I believe mine was one of the first here in the US. I was told they were designing and testing this windshield since last May. They work closely with Kymco.
They said they receive major shipments every other month.

lizzaanne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
Okay, thank you.  The windshield sounds fantastic. 

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
I measured from the top of the dashboard, right over the digital display to the tip of the windshield and it measures 15 ¾". I hope this measurement helps you.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()