Author Topic: What Do U Put On Belt Cover?  (Read 1409 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
What Do U Put On Belt Cover?
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »
Put in a new airfilter in my LIKE200i this afternoon - then had a senior moment and kept going until I had the belt cover off!

Now, that I've spent probably 2% of my remaining life getting that belt cover off ....and the gasket cr_p off - what do smart veteran scooter mechanics put on the belt cover to keep it from sticking? I have a new OEM gasket, and have spent another 1% getting the 2 surfaces clean and shiny again.

Waiting on my new torque wrench - and have Dr Pulleys and new OEM belt in hand (actually in my sock drawer) - but I ain't moving until I figure out how to keep the belt cover from welding itself on the scoot again.

I'm not really thinking we should take military action against my friends in Taiwan for this - but maybe the Pres. could move the Fleet off-shore for "Maneuvers" just to get their attention to this matter: "Find some other gasket substance!"
As always, grateful for your assistance, Stig
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:11:17 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
Re: What Do U Put On Belt Cover?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
The more you take it off the less it sticks!! From factory my belt cover felt like it was welded on. I've messed with the CVT so much that that bad boy falls off as soon as I pull out the last bolt.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
The more you take it off the less it sticks!!

LOL!  That's true.  Eventually I just scrape off the last of the gasket and reassemble without any gasket.  There's not much reason for a gasket except to keep out the rain, and the outer case has open vents anyway.  After 1000's of miles, I still don't see a need for a gasket.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
LOL!  That's true.  Eventually I just scrape off the last of the gasket and reassemble without any gasket.  There's not much reason for a gasket except to keep out the rain, and the outer case has open vents anyway.  After 1000's of miles, I still don't see a need for a gasket.

Totally agree.  I now have 13K on my Kymco and have ridden in the rain a few times - which is difficult because it almost never rains in san diego.
PaulC

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
Use packing, or moly, grease on any new gasket that you plan on being able to remove multiple times. Ie... Trans gasket, cvt cover gasket, intake gaskets, rubber o rings as long as theyre not Viton, etc. The gasket is not just for resisting rain like some believe, your cover is designed with certain tolerances and should always be put back on. I do not even run a rear pulley cover on majority of my 49cc based scoots, but I do use the gasket so it will be spaced properly. FYI it doesnt have to rain for moisture to get inside there.
Theres a correct way to do things and theres a back woods, hill billy, I guess this will work way. You have the power to chose which way you prefer to care for your investment.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
I should add, youre only using enough grease to lightly coat the gasket, just enough so it will seep into the gasket. After I coat mine I wipe away excess with a paper towel. This is an age old way of preserving gaskets, they use to use petroleum jelly.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »
I should add, youre only using enough grease to lightly coat the gasket, just enough so it will seep into the gasket. After I coat mine I wipe away excess with a paper towel. This is an age old way of preserving gaskets, they use to use petroleum jelly.

Or silicone oil/grease... or armor-all...

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 05:04:48 AM »
Some Hondas had sealed water-tight cases, and you could drive through the floods of Thailand with them. The Dio has a split case and you can drive it without the aft section, even in the rain. But the Kymco has enormous great vents front and back, so the case isn't submersible. The only item engaging the outer case is the starter gear, and it works just fine without the case gasket.  However, I'm not giving instructions here - I'm just recounting what I have done and how it's worked out so far :-)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()