Author Topic: What's your recommendation?  (Read 2280 times)

cman59

• View Profile
What's your recommendation?
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
I have a 2010 Xciting 250cc with 1,020 miles on it... I dont think the original owner took care of it, so idk if he did the "first"service or not... I changed the motor oil which was pretty black. But now im wondering about the transmission fluid? When im at a stop sign and I give it gas the whole bike vibrates.. not sure if thats normal or not.

I called my local kymco dealer... and he wants to chage me $90 to change my transmission fluid. I'd rather do it myself if it isnt a hassle. When should I change it? And how hard is it?

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: What's your recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
I don't know how hard it is to change on that model but based on the condition of the oil alone, I'd change out the transmission fluid. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Wayne

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
You can do it yourself in 15 minutes. Determine the quantity and get the right gear oil. The fill hole is pretty small, so get a squirt bottle (Ketchup) with a small outlet hole. Let the old stuff drain for a while, refill and you are all set.

The belt 'shudders' a little at idle and take-off until the slack is taken up.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
I have a buddy of mine who has worked on bikes. He would buy the cheap Chinese 50cc bikes and fix them up for a profit. When he did the leg work, he drained the oil. Many times the oil was black because the people did not maintain them. I would immediately change the all the gear, engine, and transmission oil on your ASAP.  If you don't you could have more problems that you do not need.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:10:46 PM »
I have a 2010 Xciting 250cc with 1,020 miles on it... I dont think the original owner took care of it, so idk if he did the "first"service or not... I changed the motor oil which was pretty black. But now im wondering about the transmission fluid? When im at a stop sign and I give it gas the whole bike vibrates.. not sure if thats normal or not.

I called my local kymco dealer... and he wants to chage me $90 to change my transmission fluid. I'd rather do it myself if it isnt a hassle. When should I change it? And how hard is it?
Here are the pictures and instructions to change your Transmission Gear Oil.
My goodness, yes - do it yourself. You save a lot of $....your scooter will last longer because you will do this simple task more often than paying $90 to a dealer!

1)Put it up on the center stand
2) Find the two bolts in the pictures.
3) remove the bottom bolt shown to drain the oil. It is thick so let it drain for 1/2 hour....by hand turn the back tire forward to help push some old oil out into your drain pan.
4)replace the drain plug - not  crazy tight...just snug.
5) with a pointy plastic bottle squirt 2/10ths of a quart (a small bit over 6 ounces, or a bit over 3/4ths of a cup) into that top hole.
6) Put the 'fill bolt' back in after squirting the new oil in there. Snug, not crazy tight.
7)"Bob's your Uncle!" you just changed your gear oil!
If you have questions - fire away....we all had to learn this stuff....
PS: Go here to download your owner's manual with all this info in it!http://www.kymcousa.com/owners/index.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:19:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

cman59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing that stig, do you know where I could get the sae 90 fluid at? Im guessing if I cant get it at wal mart I maybe can try a motorcycle dealership?  I just want her to last a Long time.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
Thank you for sharing that stig, do you know where I could get the sae 90 fluid at? Im guessing if I cant get it at wal mart I maybe can try a motorcycle dealership?  I just want her to last a Long time.

75-90w will be available at Walmart, in both dino and synthetic. If you want a better selection, any auto parts store will have 4-5 different brands.

I bought a quart of Valvoline fully synthetic 75-90w tonight at Advance AutoParts for $9.99. I could have spent anywhere from $6 to $20. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
I agree with paper-- any autoparts store will have your oils (engine and transmission) DO downlaod that manual so you will know what kind of oil to use for different temperatures wherre you ride - and how much to put in your scoot.
Keep the oil changed reg. and use good & correct 'weight' per the manual - and - as with most gas engines - do not run it at max speed all the time and it will last you a long time and the engine should be trouble free.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()