Author Topic: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?  (Read 10257 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
OK, this is good practice.....
Get your pan back under there.
Pull the drain plug out and dump the new gear oil out.
Put the bottom 'drain' plug back in.
Remove the top 'fill' plug and put in 3/4ths cup (smidge over 6 ounces) of your gear oil.
If it is running out the top hole - you did not let the old all drain out.
If you did drain it all and it still ran out the top hole.....I am flummoxed!
Many scoots just fill to the top 'fill' hole - most KYMCOs seem to require an exact amount when changing the gear oil....and a different amount when re-assembling the gear box. Re-assembling amount is more than the simple change amount. Obviously some little bit stays in there when you do a simple 'change' drain.
When I change my gear oil using the correct specified amount (6+ ounces, like yours) the level comes to just a little ways below the top hole threads ( I used a bent wire to reach in there to see where the level was)
Bottom line ?
If you put in 6 ounces after a good draining....let the excess come out - go have a donut and a coffee while waiting.
You should be OK then to put the fill plug back in.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
My gear oil is red/pinkish.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »
Good info guys as I'm readying to do my 200 mile engine oil and gear oil change this weekend. Isn't it also a good idea to go on a 5 minute ride before changing so it warms it up and it drains better?
Wayne

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »
Good info guys as I'm readying to do my 200 mile engine oil and gear oil change this weekend. Isn't it also a good idea to go on a 5 minute ride before changing so it warms it up and it drains better?

I just use a mini air compressor to fully drain the oil out..

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 01:32:34 AM »
Yep, maybe more like 20 mins....or just give it a 1/2 hour to drain. Don't be in a hurry.
Read the manual while you wait - try to sort out the ChingLish, or memorize the squirrely maint. schedule.
When you give up - most of the oil will be out of there.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
I just use a mini air compressor to fully drain the oil out..
Haven't  you now changed the printed fill amount....blowing out some of the oil that would normally remain in there?
No problem I guess as long as you catch it all and replace with a like amount.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
Hey I just changed it... but I have a question... I put so much in that the fluid was running out the top? is that too much? or should I just let a little out?

You need only add .18 liters or 6 US ounces. Any more and you'll find gear oil in your air box and worst case a leak in the seal which will usually require replacing the seal. Your owners manual should have the specs under the maintenance section. The info I found on Kymco USA says SAE 90 and .18 liters for pre 2008 Xciting 250.

cman59

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »
Yeah I had put so mucc in there it was leaking out from the top; so i restarted the process all over again, I think I got in 6 ounces but probably less. I would rather have less than more. don't want that stuff running in my air box and ruining things.

Jamez

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
Went to Autozone and was confused whenever I change my Tranny fluid... Do I buy Transmission fluid for cars to put in my 250 xciting? or the gear oil... Im confused on if there the same thing or not?

Here we go again.  It's time for me to replace me trans fluid / gear oil and I'm a little confused as well.  It sounds like from other members here that for Scooters, located towards the back that you insert Gear Oil and NOT Transmission Fluid.  My owner's manual says otherwise?  :o

2014 Kymco Agility 125

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 12:23:44 AM »
Here we go again.  It's time for me to replace me trans fluid / gear oil and I'm a little confused as well.  It sounds like from other members here that for Scooters, located towards the back that you insert Gear Oil and NOT Transmission Fluid.  My owner's manual says otherwise?  :o

What does it say
ALL STOCK

Jamez

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »
What does it say

It says 'Transmission Fluid Type: SAE 90'
2014 Kymco Agility 125

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
It says 'Transmission Fluid Type: SAE 90'
You are right...hummmmm...mine say recommend gear oil SAE 90
ALL STOCK

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
Its oil for a manual transmision.. you can get 75w90 80w90 or straight 90. I did 75w90 cause i had it for my manual tranny. Be sure to put the exact amount.. it will require 180ml.

Jamez

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »
Its oil for a manual transmision.. you can get 75w90 80w90 or straight 90. I did 75w90 cause i had it for my manual tranny. Be sure to put the exact amount.. it will require 180ml.

My Trans isn't manual it's auto. So maybe I do need trans fluid instead of gear oil?
2014 Kymco Agility 125

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 11:29:20 PM »
My Trans isn't manual it's auto. So maybe I do need trans fluid instead of gear oil?

It takes gear oil, for the final drive on a scooter. Use synthetic it lasts longer.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()