Author Topic: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?  (Read 10256 times)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 01:10:04 AM »
  think sae 90 and you dont put it in the transmision, that is dry and runs with a belt, the oil gos in the rear end,  only gears in there,

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
Some manual say to fill it up to the add hole which is also the gear oil check level
ALL STOCK

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
The manual has a miss print there. The right way is to drain it and then fill it with the right amount. If you fill it till the bottom of the hole ull put more than 500ml when you only need 180ml.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
Well i have not got to that as yet, but question: how do you check the level of your gear oil
ALL STOCK

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
You cant... as far as im concerned. If theres no leak and you did put the right amount ur good and no need to check. Just change within 3000 miles.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »
To check the oil the manual say remove the oil filler bolt the oil should be up to the brim of the hole. if the level is low add oil to the level of the filler bolt(hole)
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »
To check the oil the manual say remove the oil filler bolt the oil should be up to the brim of the hole. if the level is low add oil to the level of the filler bolt(hole)
Do you then have the People S200?
This video seems to say you add .180ML - period. NOT to the fill hole lip.
Also - does he put in all of that .250ML?
Anyway....https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Go6y2WFnEHg#t=374
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »
Do you then have the People S200?
This video seems to say you add .180ML - period. NOT to the fill hole lip.
Also - does he put in all of that .250ML?
Anyway....https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Go6y2WFnEHg#t=374
No argument here i'm just saying what the manual read out and also the video is of a person who is just changing his engine/gear oil. Who is to say that 180ml does not bring it to the rim
ALL STOCK

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »
Hey I just changed it... but I have a question... I put so much in that the fluid was running out the top? is that too much? or should I just let a little out?

You should read the service manual for your bike. On some of the Kymco scooters, they recommend to only fill the rear gearset with 180 ml of gear oil. If so, it should be stamped on the rear gear housing somewhere near the fill hole. Mine is like that, but I put 200 ml in.

I use one of those giant syringes I bought at Walmart, usually used for putting oil in 2-stroke gasoline, and put in 50 ml at a time, 4 times... the syringe only holds about 60 ml total. The good thing about using that to fill is that you can jam the little plastic hose down onto the oil bottle tip, then the syringe into the hose, pull the syringe to fill it, then put the syringe into the gear oil fill hole... no drips whatsoever. The suction in the oil bottle from pulling some of the oil out ensures that any oil in the plastic tube when you pull the syringe off the plastic tube gets sucked back into the bottle.

If you put too much in, you'll notice some of it gets pulled through the rear gearset vent hose into the air cleaner housing. Not a big deal, just clean out the air cleaner housing and fill up with a bit less gear oil next time.

As an aside, if when you drain the gear oil, you notice you're getting "glitter" (tiny metal bits) in the gear oil, that means your gears are wearing. Use a thicker gear oil. I use Royal Purple Synthetic 75W-140 with Synerlec because when the bike was new, I'd been using 75W-90 and was getting that glitter.

Once your rear gears are worn in (first couple thousand miles, most likely), you might try adding tungsten disulfide (WS2) to your gear oil. Makes things super slick and keeps everything from wearing. Use about 1.5 grams of WS2 for the gear oil. About 8.5 grams of WS2 for the engine oil.

I just put new taller gears in my rear gearset, and they're spur gears. They've got a bit of wearing-in to do yet, then I'll put WS2 in. It'll cut down on friction and wear, with the side benefit of quieting down the spur gear whine.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:37:20 PM by Yager200i »

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
It's amazing that I filled my super 9 gear oil to the brim years ago (that's what manual say) so I check on the filter today and no oil on it......hummmmm ...lucky I guess
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()