Author Topic: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?  (Read 10245 times)

cman59

• View Profile
Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?
« on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »
Went to Autozone and was confused whenever I change my Tranny fluid... Do I buy Transmission fluid for cars to put in my 250 xciting? or the gear oil... Im confused on if there the same thing or not?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Diffrence between transmission and gear oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »
Same.... the right Viscosity is what to look for

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
Do you mean the hub? CVT transmissions on scooters don't use oil. For hub most use 90 wt gear oil. Or multi grade like 75W-90.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:26:03 AM »
  Manual transmision has gear oil and automatic transmision has transmision fluid,.  your scooter has belt drive it is dry the gears in the back end uses gear oil 90 Wt.   oil for your engine uses 5 w 40 or 50  just the same as cars,  just different Wt. foe scooters, cars use 10 w 30 on average,.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:13:51 AM »
Dedee is right, I stand corrected... ;D Manual has gear oil, Automatic has ATF....

cman59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:47 AM »
Im more confused... So would it be ok to buy Casterol ATF to put in my scooter? do I buy automatic transmission fluid by caterol or vavoline to put in my scooter's transmission after I drain it? or should I buy the "Gear oil" to put in there?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »
Ok, let me put it this way....

In a rear wheel drive car... you have your tranny (attached to your engine) and a drive shaft to your rear differential (gear) that drives the wheels... If the tranny is manual, you use gear oil... If the car's tranny is automatic, you use ATF... The rear differential that houses the final gears use gear oil.

In a scooter, you have a CVT or continuously variable tranmission and you have a belt that is attached to a shaft with your final gears inside the gear housing.  The scooters tranny does not use any oil or fluid but the final gears use... gear oil...

cman59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
Gear oil it is then

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »
Yup... ;)

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Gear oil is designed to protect gears from wear. In a scooter situation, it's protecting the gears in the final drive..

This must be more of an issue than I thought. When I checked the final drive on my People 50 (well used when I got it) there was pinkish fluid in there, which immediately told me there was AFT in the final drive.  :o

I think the last motorcycles that actually used ATF were the early 80's Hondamatics that actually used a automatic transmission, not a CVT.

That said, I use ATF in the forks of several of my motorcycles when changing fork "oil".. I like it because ATF Type F is 7.5 weight. Fork oils come in 5, 10, etc.. I find 10w too heavy and 5 too light. While it's not taboo to mix fork oils to get the desired viscosity, I just go with ATF Type F and instantly get 7.5w. :)
The reason it's allowed with this situation is because forks aren't gears. It's all about forcing fluid through orifices and weight and viscosity is what's desired, not wear protection.

Just something to remember when changing fork oil someday.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
All of the Hondamatic's used normal engine oil for their torque convertor and transmission. I had a new 1976 CB750 Auto.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
All of the Hondamatic's used normal engine oil for their torque convertor and transmission. I had a new 1976 CB750 Auto.

Sam:)

:)
A co-worker had one a few years ago and the tranny failed.. He said it used ATF.. I'm thinking I might know why it failed.. :)

cman59

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Hey I just changed it... but I have a question... I put so much in that the fluid was running out the top? is that too much? or should I just let a little out?

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
Normally, there will be a plug on the side of the tranny. You fill it to this level. Normally, around halfway up the side.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
  some scooters have a set amount of oil in there gear box ,so read your manual,  the 300i downtown has a set amount and if you over fill it vents to the air filter , 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()