Author Topic: Diesel oil for a scooter?  (Read 38679 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel oil for a scooter?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
The 2008 kymco agility 50 says to use SAE 15w-40 in the manual, but the only oil I could find at autozone was Diesel oil for passenger cars and light trucks with diesel engines, but it said SAE 15w-40.  I also saw synthetic high quality racing 10w-40 engine oil for 4 stroke motorcycles, but I did not buy this.

I correctly changed the oil in my scooter and cleaned the filter using the 15w-40 diesel oil and my scooter sounds, maybe smells, dont know if im imagining it, and doesnt run as well as it did before. There is a large decrease in acceleration and lower top speed, I plan on bringing it into the shop monday, but could i have used the synthetic 10w-40 oil?

Also wordslinger, in your signature, what is the $100 50+mph mod you have on your scooter.

...i ran the Shell 15w-40 diesel oil for a while...Experienced no ill effects...

..the $100.00 mod was a Malossi Multivar variator with 5.5 gram rollers and a longer main clutch spring...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »
Most diesel oils are NOT as refined as gas engine oils... thus the sulpher smell. I would go w/ the synth.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:30 AM »
Just found this interesting write up on what the API standards mean, and all that.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Search that page for the text: "API Oil Standards", and read that section. And read the following paragraphs under "Commercial (Diesel) Oil". Then keep reading to get more info that you ever hoped to. This fellow states that the "diesel" oil is definitely superior to the "S" rated oils for gasoline engines, and more suitable for motorcycles.

From what I gather, a good synthetic (i.e. "C" rated "diesel oil" synthetic) seems to be the very best choice for the scooters. Why penny pinch when you're only dealing with ONE QUART every couple months or so?

scooterman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 03:04:46 PM »
I had my oil change by the dealer in may and used castrol R4 RS 5w40 1 liter .will that what he put on the invoice. i hope this help

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »
Just found this interesting write up on what the API standards mean, and all that.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Search that page for the text: "API Oil Standards", and read that section. And read the following paragraphs under "Commercial (Diesel) Oil". Then keep reading to get more info that you ever hoped to. This fellow states that the "diesel" oil is definitely superior to the "S" rated oils for gasoline engines, and more suitable for motorcycles.

From what I gather, a good synthetic (i.e. "C" rated "diesel oil" synthetic) seems to be the very best choice for the scooters. Why penny pinch when you're only dealing with ONE QUART every couple months or so?

..the only thing is, scooters have a completely different transmission than the bulk of motorcycles...The oil does not run throught the clutch / transmission...

..at least not if your seals are all intact... ;D

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »
Look, I found a synthetic 15w40!
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/TORCO-T4MXR-1540-SYNTHETIC-OIL/?catalogId=106927
Not sure though if I want to spend $10 + shipping on a bottle..
I would still like to know what people who didn't want to use the Diesel engine oil used instead. 10/40?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »

Not sure though if I want to spend $10 + shipping on a bottle..

I pay $16 a quart for full synthetic 2-stroke oil at my local shop!

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:20 AM »
..the only thing is, scooters have a completely different transmission than the bulk of motorcycles...The oil does not run throught the clutch / transmission...

..at least not if your seals are all intact... ;D

Right. I understand that. But the point is, the commercial rated oil (i.e. "diesel oil") will withstand the extreme shearing issues related to the "wet clutch", which tells you it is a far superior oil. Using "diesel oil" in the scooter would be better for the scooter than using standard oil. Using synthetic would be even better. And running synthetic diesel oil would be your very best choice.

Three synthetics stand out from the rest: Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil-1 SUV and Shell Rotella T Synthetic. These are C certified industrial oils meant to be purchased in 55 gallon drums and used by companies which run a lot of diesel engines. The Commercial oils, as discussed above, have more expensive additive packages which are meant to prolong engine life and oil life, as opposed to being cheap to buy at Pep Boys and helping the car companies meet their CAFE requirements. These oils meet all the automobile requirements through SJ, and also have extra additives to help pick up gunk in the engine, to keep the oil from becoming acidic, and to maintain the oil's viscosity over a long time. In fact, the manufacturers talk about their oil's viscosity resistance to shear forces - exactly what a motorcycle needs. Shell Rotella-T Synthetic is available at Wal-Mart for $13 / gallon, so I consider this the motor oil of choice.

As far as the "weight" numbers go, don't get all freaked out. You're not going to destroy your scooter if you use a 10W-40 instead of 15W-40. The number is more a factor of the temperature than it is a strict manufacturer's requirement - if you live in a colder climate, get 10W-40, if you live in a warmer climate get a 20W-40 or whatever. The "W" number is for when temperature is below 80 degrees. Once you warm up the bike, you have 40 "weight" oil, no matter what the "W" number is. And if using synthetic, it's even less strict a requirement because the synthetic has a higher film strength and stays stuck to the parts longer and better after shutdown. 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
Right. I understand that. But the point is, the commercial rated oil (i.e. "diesel oil") will withstand the extreme shearing issues related to the "wet clutch", which tells you it is a far superior oil. Using "diesel oil" in the scooter would be better for the scooter than using standard oil. Using synthetic would be even better. And running synthetic diesel oil would be your very best choice.

Three synthetics stand out from the rest: Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil-1 SUV and Shell Rotella T Synthetic. These are C certified industrial oils meant to be purchased in 55 gallon drums and used by companies which run a lot of diesel engines. The Commercial oils, as discussed above, have more expensive additive packages which are meant to prolong engine life and oil life, as opposed to being cheap to buy at Pep Boys and helping the car companies meet their CAFE requirements. These oils meet all the automobile requirements through SJ, and also have extra additives to help pick up gunk in the engine, to keep the oil from becoming acidic, and to maintain the oil's viscosity over a long time. In fact, the manufacturers talk about their oil's viscosity resistance to shear forces - exactly what a motorcycle needs. Shell Rotella-T Synthetic is available at Wal-Mart for $13 / gallon, so I consider this the motor oil of choice.

As far as the "weight" numbers go, don't get all freaked out. You're not going to destroy your scooter if you use a 10W-40 instead of 15W-40. The number is more a factor of the temperature than it is a strict manufacturer's requirement - if you live in a colder climate, get 10W-40, if you live in a warmer climate get a 20W-40 or whatever. The "W" number is for when temperature is below 80 degrees. Once you warm up the bike, you have 40 "weight" oil, no matter what the "W" number is. And if using synthetic, it's even less strict a requirement because the synthetic has a higher film strength and stays stuck to the parts longer and better after shutdown. 

..Yeah, as I said before..I used diesel oil for a good while, I wasn't trying to dispute your point at all...

..I just threw that out there so some of the newbies might not get confused...as I once was...

peace

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
From 1992-2000 I was many times involved in "oil quality" discussions on BBSes, and then it continued on Internet. It is quite possible that using synthetic oils might prolong useful life of the engine. The issue is that I never use the vehicle until the end of the engine's life, I usually drive motorcycles and scooters from 0-25.000 kms and then sell them away.

Where I live, I liter of fully synthetic oil is 24 US$ upwards.

For unknown reason, one shop offered fully synthetic oil for 6 US$/liter and yesterday I bought 2 l for next changes.
It is interesting that on the average you can expect such price for mineral oils here, and semi-synthetics are around 12 US$/liter.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
I have been using Rotella 15 - 40 Full Synthetic in the scoot.  Found it at Walmart, but you have to look hard, they used to carry the gal jugs not just one row of quarts way down at the end of the oil asle.  Wish they would carry the Castrol Syntec but they don't carry it in ether 10 - 40 or 15 - 40  :( .
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 03:08:40 AM »
..Yeah, as I said before..I used diesel oil for a good while, I wasn't trying to dispute your point at all...

..I just threw that out there so some of the newbies might not get confused...as I once was...

peace

Cool. I debated discussing the 'wet clutch' issue, but I'm so darn wordy already, so I decided not to hit that subject too. It's good you mentioned it.

I found some Rotella-T full synthetic in gallon jugs at Walmart here today for $19. Who knows if they will have it next week. I believe it's 5W-30. I'm thinking about running that in my scooter now that the weather is getting cool/cold. It's full synthetic "diesel oil".

The owners manual for mine says 15W-40. (Owners Manuals are all about "Keep it simple" - i.e. "people are stupid, don't confuse them with choices". lol.) The factory Service Manual says "10W-30 or 15W-40."  Then it says "use appropriate type of oil with viscosity satisfying the atmospheric temperature in your riding area based on the table shown". The little chart has all sorts of weird ratings. From straight 10W for below freezing, to 20W-50 for freezing thru hot weather. And a narrow temp band for straight 30 and then straight 40 if its always hot. Moral of the story: Don't obsess on strict "15W-40" (unless your warranty strictly requires it, of course.)  Scooter will be happy with thinner oil in the winter.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
..been using 10w-40 since I stopped using the diesel..The main thing is....change the oil frequently...especially if you ride every day...these little air cooled engines get pretty hot...oil breaks down rather quickly...

;D

eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
Howdy,

I rode my Daelim S2-125 about 500 miles/month for one year. I used Shell Rotella from my local "big box" with no ill effects. Should I get an People S200, I'd consider either the Rotella or a good Synthetic.

Eggman

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »
here in MN 15w-40 is available, its just called "snowmobile oil" - I've been using that in my scoot for over a year with no prob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()