Author Topic: Diesel oil for a scooter?  (Read 38342 times)

birdmove

• View Profile
Re: Diesel oil for a scooter?
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »
  I did have a problem on a Kawasaki KLR650 caused by oil.I changed oil and instead of using a 10W-40, I went to a 15W-40 diesle oil.The viscocity difference doesn't sound like much does it.But it was cold in the winter time. I found that, after the oil change, when I started the engine cold, it started knocink like crazy. Whatever the actual visocity difference was, the 15W-40 was taking longer to circulate, and caused a knock.Switched back to the 10W-40 and the knock was gone.

jn

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 01:05:53 AM »
I got some oil left over from my turkey i fried you can have that -----lol :)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 05:22:54 AM »
Bird.. with 15W oil, the cold temp oil viscosity was wrong.  The first numbers of the rating (10W or 15W ) is the oil's viscosity, resistance to flow, when the oil is cold. As you found, when you have the incorrect rating and it's cold, you will get knocking.

birdmove

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 06:40:34 AM »
  So right! The difference between the 15W-40 and 10W-40 was amazing. And yet, both my Sportster and my Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (for sale) do just bfine running 20W-50 oil all winter long.
   jon

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »
I am using Mobil Synthetic 10w40 for a while and it works great with my Agility125. Now that the temperatures are in the 20s the engine has a little bit of a hard time though. Think I will be switching to a 5w40 for the winter, especially before temps drop below 20.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 07:15:52 AM »
my oil has been breaking down rather quickly...

Below is a link to a page talking about the Kymco scooter manual stating that a SG-rated 15W-40 oil must be used. Turns out, the SG rating for oil is OLD (I think it's now up to SM rating), and the Kymco rep states that a regular 10W-40 automobile oil should be just fine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1692715

Now that we've established that we CAN use either 10W-40 or 15W-40 oil in our scooter engines, which is the best one? Well, that's a tough thing to figure out.

As for me, because it's a high-revving engine, I want to be sure that there's no foaming, and little viscosity breakdown over the life of the oil.

So, after engine break-in (in which I'll be using a conventional 15W-40 oil and changing the oil and filter very frequently (ie.: after 25 miles, then 50, then 100, then 200, then 400, then 800, then 1600), I'll be using a diesel-rated synthetic 10W-40. Oil and filter change interval after break-in will be every 1000 miles.

The diesel-rated synthetic oils not only have more detergent in them to keep the engine clean, but they've got anti-foaming agents, and stand up to extreme use better, so there's less viscosity breakdown.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:22:36 AM by Yager200i »

djrider

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
I seriously considered a diesel oil such as the 'Rotella' but have not used but read on other forums many who have used diesel oils w/good results.
I found Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil at a good price at my local big box auto parts store. I decided to use motorcycle oil in my PS250 since motorcycle & scooters are similar but not the same, of course. Their motors are similar but most scooters have 'dry clutch' and do not share the same oil with the transmission. Scooters, like motorcycles have small high revving motors that work hard and are hard on the oil.
The Valvoline seems to work good. The motor seems quieter. I used regular conventional 10w40 automotive oil through the break-in w/no ill effects. This Valvoline oil should provide better protection IMO.
I noticed just the other day that Valvoline now has this oil in a synthetic as well. I may try that in the future.

2009 Kymco People S 250
2001 Honda CR250R (son's)

ajbettencourt

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
Anyone ever try any of the Amsoil products?  I have a neighbor who is a dealer and he keeps mentioning them to me.

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
Best lubricant line on the planet.....They have a specific "SCOOTER OIL"..which has additives that bikes with "WET" clutches cant use...
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
I decided to use motorcycle oil in my PS250 since motorcycle & scooters are similar but not the same, of course. Their motors are similar but most scooters have 'dry clutch' and do not share the same oil with the transmission. Scooters, like motorcycles have small high revving motors that work hard and are hard on the oil.

Keep in mind that motorcycle oil won't have the friction modifiers of automobile or diesel oil, because those friction modifiers can make a motorcycle clutch slip. So the motorcycle oil isn't as 'slippery' as other oils, and if you get metal-to-metal contact (piston scuffing, etc.), you won't have as much protection.

So, in my opinion, motorcycle oil would be good for breaking-in the scooter engine, but after it's fully broken-in, I'd use a synthetic diesel oil.

djrider

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »
Maybe not but I figure if motorcycle oil was formulated for motorcycles and motorcycles & scooters are similar except for the transmissions, then why not use motorcycle oil. 
Motorcycle oil may not have the same friction modifiers as automotive oil but it has specifically formulated friction modifiers to protect both the motor and transmissions in motorcycles. It is also designed for small high reving motors that shear oil rather quickly so again it is formualted for this. 
I poured through countless forums on this and you get difference of opinions on the subject but I came to the conclusion that if its good enough for a motorcycle then it has to be good enough for a scooter.
Not that I am right, just my conclusion and what I am doing! 
I do think a synthetic oil would be better but its much more expensive. Given the short oil change intervals on these small scooters it may not be worth it, but each to their own IMO!     
2009 Kymco People S 250

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
Best lubricant line on the planet.....They have a specific "SCOOTER OIL"..which has additives that bikes with "WET" clutches cant use...

Usually it is vice versa, motorcycle oils have additives for wet clutches that are not necessary in cars/scooters.
I doubt that there is such a thing as "scooter specific additive", regardless of marketing.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Maybe not but I figure if motorcycle oil was formulated for motorcycles and motorcycles & scooters are similar except for the transmissions, then why not use motorcycle oil. 
Motorcycle oil may not have the same friction modifiers as automotive oil but it has specifically formulated friction modifiers to protect both the motor and transmissions in motorcycles. It is also designed for small high reving motors that shear oil rather quickly so again it is formualted for this. 
I poured through countless forums on this and you get difference of opinions on the subject but I came to the conclusion that if its good enough for a motorcycle then it has to be good enough for a scooter.
Not that I am right, just my conclusion and what I am doing! 
I do think a synthetic oil would be better but its much more expensive. Given the short oil change intervals on these small scooters it may not be worth it, but each to their own IMO!     

Friction modifiers are not there to protect your engine, they are added to auto oils to help increase gas mileage.  Friction modifiers are not added to motorcycle oils since they may make the clutch slip ( if it has a wet clutch). 

Something else to consider.  Most scooter engines are very mildly tuned.  The specific power output is closer to that of a small car engine than that of a high performance motorcycle engine.  Probably any properly rated oil will work fine in your scooter.  I plan on using Rotella 5w40 synthetic in my Super 8 on the next oil change.  It's a full synthetic and costs about the same or less than motorcycle specific non syntheitic oils.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

djrider

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2011, 02:33:48 AM »
Klaviator
I was about ready to try Rotella T6 5w40 but found the Valvoline motorcycle oil and decided to go with it instead. Ive heard many good things about Rotella oil so it should work good. Please give us an update on how it works in your scoot.
So far the difference w/the Valvoline oil is the motor seems quieter than w/auto oil. It could just be the difference in brand of oil or mental on my part! I mean the valve train appears to have less noise. I like that! Less noise to me suggests its doing a better job but that's not scientific, Just my observation.
Ive used auto oil in my bikes in the past w/no ill affects but I'm just am not convinced current auto oil is better than motorcycle oil or HDEOs. We will leave that debate for another time. Never tried the HDEOs but would not be afraid to.
The link for bobistheoilguy.com has more info on oil than you would ever want to know.

Cheers!
2009 Kymco People S 250

Lueywy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2011, 03:17:20 AM »
I get my GV250 15W40 oil at Walmart. Rotella T and doesn't say it is for diesels, only gas engines.
Luey
San Antonio, TX

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()