Author Topic: Diesel oil for a scooter?  (Read 39277 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Diesel oil for a scooter?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
here in MN 15w-40 is available, its just called "snowmobile oil" - I've been using that in my scoot for over a year with no prob

Why is it called so? 15W is not low enough to be considered oil for low temperatures.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »
I have been using the Rotella and Delo diesel oils and they seem fine and you can get them at the Wal-mart.  I have considered getting the gallons but when I buy the quart/liter at the WM, after i drain the old into an oil milk jug, and add the new to the crankcase... I have an empty oil bottle to recycle the used oil in my hand.... kinda convenient... I pour the darined oil into the empty and set it on top the garbage can and the county garbage man does the oil recycling for me.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
I dump mine in the ocean, and without fail it is always gone by the next morning! It seems to work for all sorts of things you just don't want anymore. My wife keeps coming back tho~  Just kidding Guys/Gals!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
....rotflmfao....

;D :D :) :D ;D :D :) :D ;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

BrandonR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
Ok, for this oil change, I went to the place I got the scooter the guy there sold me what he said would be the best stuff. It's Maxima Premium4 High Performance 4-Cycle Oil SAE 10w-40 Petroleum.

Any thoughts as to this? I haven't put the oil in my bike yet.

Oh, and the same dude said I shouldn't put Synthetic in my scooter, but he talked about the transmission thing and I was under the understanding that wasn't an issue.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
Maxima is a highly rated oil. I have never used it though. I like the valvaline havaline prodects for regular oil. How many miles on the scoot? Curious why synthetic was not recomended. It is not necessary  but Any hedge I can get I'll take.(after break in of course)
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
Amsoil full synthetic. Since these scooters use so little to begin with any helpthese motors get will extend their life. Some bike shops carry it, otherwise just order online. I am not affiliated with Amsoil. I use their oil in my motorcyles and scooters. The Tacoma gets Castrol syntec.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
Dunno, but I'd like to say, Norcal, that white GV of yours is one BE YOUTIFUL machine ! ! !

jawolf

• you are only old when you forget how to play!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:44 AM »
most motorcycle companies want you to use their oil just for motorcycles... the scoop on diesel oil... automotive oil has more detergent than motorcycle oil OR diesel oil and can cause foaming, just a little. diesel oil is the prefered non factory oil for H-Ds

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 02:06:59 AM »
..i ran prestone diesel oil in my scoot originally, because it was the only oil i could find in the weight that the owners manual specced out....

..when i lifted the backrest, and read the specs that are stickerd there, it said use 10w-40...

..been using Royal Purple full synthetic for over a year...

art

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
  For the most part they are all made by just a few manufacturers. Less detergent is better for our one lunger motors.(no foam)
  I like synthetics for our scoots. Hell its less than a quart why not!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 02:21:05 AM »
I like synthetics for our scoots. Hell its less than a quart why not!

..lol..i know right!!??...

..there are alot of good oils...

..the key is selecting a good one..and sticking with it..and change it often...

;)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 05:40:59 AM »
Ok, for this oil change, I went to the place I got the scooter the guy there sold me what he said would be the best stuff. It's Maxima Premium4 High Performance 4-Cycle Oil SAE 10w-40 Petroleum.

Any thoughts as to this? I haven't put the oil in my bike yet.

Oh, and the same dude said I shouldn't put Synthetic in my scooter, but he talked about the transmission thing and I was under the understanding that wasn't an issue.

I just noticed this ... the dealer (stealer?) told Brandon to not use synthetic oil in his scoot because of the transmission?

I am going to guess that honestly the dealer he spoke with has zero knowledge of how a CVT scooter works. The transmission in many motorcycles co-mingles the engine oil with the transmission oil and you need to be careful you don't use the incorrect additives in the oil or it can mess up your transmission. 

A scooter with a CVT has a belt that runs in air (not oil) so it make no difference to the transmission what oil you run in the motor.  THEREFORE...if you want to run synthetic, you may run it anytime you want.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »
Also, motorcycle oil is different than car oil because of additives for lubrication of the gearbox.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

pagant

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »
You could use Harley-Davidson oil I have ridden H-Ds for ten years and the Motor Company tell you that using anything other than own brand mineral oil can lead to an accident and or death,until they bring out their own very expensive synthetic oil that magically does the job of the three different oils that I had to put in my Dyna Super Glide. Most older riders me included (50yrs riding) will tell you put any decent 20-50w oil in and change it frequently.I pick up my Pulsar LX on Thursday so I dont yet know the recomended intervals.
  Hope this helps. Ride safe...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()