Author Topic: Transmission Fluid Help  (Read 3841 times)

Hueffenhardt

• View Profile
Transmission Fluid Help
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:06:21 AM »
The Kymco Grand Vista 250 Owner's manual says the transmission fluid I should use is SAE 90. Unfortunately, when I look at my options at the auto parts stores, I can't find SAE 90 anywhere. They categorize transmission fluids by manual/automatic, import/domestic. I did see one for CVT transmissions, so I am leaning towards it, but the listing only talked about compatibility with cars. Please advise.

Also, I read in the owner's manual, that when I drain the transmission fluid, I need to turn the rear wheel to get it all out, but no similar instructions to make sure one gets it all in (without air bubbles, etc). Also, any hints on how best to get the fluid in a vertical hole?

Thanks in advance. I'll soon create a post to introduce myself and my new-to-me 2008 Kymco Grand Vista 250. But, I am going on a shopping trip tomorrow afternoon for fluids and surface cleaners/protectorants, etc, and I need to know what transmission fluid to get. Any other recommendations on fluids/cleaners would be appreciated as well.
2008 Kymco Grand Vista 250cc, white
I am new to the motorized two wheel lifestyle (Mar 2014).

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Transmission Fluid Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »
Just wrong terminology.  The right term is "gear oil"... look for SAE 90 Gear Oil... The best way to get the oil in is to use a syringe or a plastic ketchup bottle...

Any good cleaner/protectant for cars would be fine...

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »
Good advice from Vivo.  I bought my 2005 GV 2.5 years ago and put over 10K miles on it.  Overall, a great scooter.  Welcome to the Grandvista.  If you have not done so download the pdf's for the shop manual - there is a link somewhere and it is all free. 

I used Valvoline synthetic for the brake fluid.  It is compatible with regular fluid.  When changing the gear oil in the final drive if you can pour the existing fluid into a container with marks on it to see if it was low.

When you get to the radiator fluid watch out. It is extremely difficult to get the air out and you risk a surprise overheat like I got - all five bars of the temp indicator was flashing.  The best way is let about 1/2 of the fluid out and mix the new fluid in with the old.  The factory fluid is dark green and this is normal and doesn't mean is is going bad.  I asked the dealer about the air pockets issue and he said you really have to rock the scooter and work the air out.  Much harder than any motorcycle or car where I changed the fluid and just ran it with the radiator cap off for 15 min to open the thermostat and called it a day.  The Kymco has tiny tubes that connect the motor with the radiator and air gets trapped easily and it may take several bleeding sessions to get the air out.

How many miles on your scoot?
PaulC

Hueffenhardt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
Thanks, Vivo and mrbios! It has 4600 miles on it and in very good condition. I got it for $1700 from a private seller here in Colorado. He was selling it because it belonged to his wife and she has passed away.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
I didn't look, but how oftne does it state to change the "gear oil"? 

Hueffenhardt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
I didn't look, but how oftne does it state to change the "gear oil"?

Well, the maintenance schedule chart says change the "transmission oil" (should say gear oil) at 200; 1800; 4200; and 6600 miles.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »
        I'm a firm believer in full synthetic lubricants. I use a 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in the rear, and a 10w-40 full synthetic motor oil in the engine. A little more money, but in my opinion, a better oil. It's quick, easy and inexpensive to do yourself. I change both and the oil filter (GTI300) at 1000 mile intervals.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:20:41 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Hueffenhardt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:33 AM »
        I'm a firm believer in full synthetic lubricants. I use a 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in the rear, and a 10w-40 full synthetic motor oil in the engine. A little more money, but in my opinion, a better oil. It's quick, easy and inexpensive to do yourself.
I just got back from the store and those are the exact oils I bought. I agree with synthetic being better.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »
Well, the maintenance schedule chart says change the "transmission oil" (should say gear oil) at 200; 1800; 4200; and 6600 miles.

This is totally over exaggerated IMO...!!!  6000 miles (10,000 km) intervals would be plenty of safe, and based on BMW motorcycles similar gear set up it is about 25,000 miles.

No it doesn't harm to change oil every 1000 miles but also that is just way to frequent with today's good oils.  3000 miles on the G/V (that I do) is just fine,  I never even had to refill a drop between oil changes and the oil was "dark gold", not black.  Of course if one rides very little in three years then a 1000 miles oil change interval is recommended.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 02:14:51 AM »
gear oils are not subjected to heat and high stress compared to engine oil... a longer change interval is ok...

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
How many ml of gear oil should i put in?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()