Author Topic: ..K & N air filter  (Read 16107 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: ..K & N air filter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
..i like this look...ugly air box is history..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
..okay, so I'm at a @ 102 jet now...that's 1.02mm, or @ .040" for all of us on this side of the pond...

..initially, I had to wrap my filter to maintain 3/4 throttle...

..raised my needle @ .060" and I can maintain 3/4 throttle without any wrap on the filter..

..still can't go to full throttle without bogging down, kinda like the engine tries to brake..

..I never imagined such an increase in the main jet's size..Does this sound normal??

..I think I need to increase the main jet size even more..Does that sound correct?

peace

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
..okay, so I'm at a @ 102 jet now...that's 1.02mm, or @ .040" for all of us on this side of the pond...

..initially, I had to wrap my filter to maintain 3/4 throttle...

..raised my needle @ .060" and I can maintain 3/4 throttle without any wrap on the filter..

..still can't go to full throttle without bogging down, kinda like the engine tries to brake..

..I never imagined such an increase in the main jet's size..Does this sound normal??

..I think I need to increase the main jet size even more..Does that sound correct?

peace

When are you back on 4 wheels? :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
When are you back on 4 wheels? :)

...December i believe...why??

???

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »
If it will run at all at full throttle try and do a plug chop.  Just don't run it for more than maybe 1/2 mile at WOT.  You don't want to do any damage if it is running lean.  That should be enough to get some color on a new plug.  Remember to use your kill switch while still maintaining WOT.  Hold the throttle until you come to a stop.  You may be running rich as well, I saw the same symptoms running a 130 jet on mine, but I have a 70cc.  Though, I wouldn't be suprised if you needed to go a little bigger.  Goes to shows how restrictive those stock air boxes really are!  ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
If it will run at all at full throttle try and do a plug chop.  Just don't run it for more than maybe 1/2 mile at WOT.  You don't want to do any damage if it is running lean.  That should be enough to get some color on a new plug.  Remember to use your kill switch while still maintaining WOT.  Hold the throttle until you come to a stop.  You may be running rich as well, I saw the same symptoms running a 130 jet on mine, but I have a 70cc.  Though, I wouldn't be suprised if you needed to go a little bigger.  Goes to shows how restrictive those stock air boxes really are!  ;)

I'm amazed...yeah I can run at full throttle, however the only difference is, the throaty sound coming from the filter..no increase in actual engine output...

..i'll try the plug chop...

..how long would it take to do damage???

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
Mine made that throaty noise also when it was both too lean and too rich.  I'm not sure how long it would take to do damage.  I guess it depends on how "off" it is.  I wouldn't want to push it though.  I have a nice straight road about 1/2 mi long out of my neighborhood that i ran down for testing mine.  Seems to be about long enough to just get some color down around the electrode of a new plug.  I just pop in a new plug and run it out to the end of the road.  Kill it and pop in the regular plug to run back home and examine the other plug.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »
..and you're sure that it would not be abnormal to have to increase my jet size even more?

:)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »
Not totally sure.  That's why I would do the plug chop to check and see where you are at.  Did you increase the size in smaller increments, or just go right to the 102?  Typically you only want to move in either direction a difference on 5 at a time.  If you jumped straight from 85 to 102 then you very well could have just skipped over the "ideal" and made it too rich!  If you went staight to 102 then i think you may have gone too big because 15 should make a noticable difference.  Ideally you would want to try the 85. . . 90. . . 95. . . and also do a plug chop with each new jet.  I think I have a lifetime supply of "only used 1/2 mile" spark plugs at this point! ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
..i did go incrementally...the bigger I got, the better it performed...

..did not chop at each point though...

..imma go chop a plug..not sure if I'll get to update any more today..

..thanx, Shaka, and everybody else for ya'lls help!!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 12:18:18 AM »
Ok, good!  Then it sounds like you're moving in the right direction!  I wouldn't be too concerned that you are having to run an unusually large jet.  It is what it is!  I am running a 115.  Mine is a 70cc, but also a larger diameter carb which should compensate for the engine size difference.

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »
I just installed a K&N filter too. ive got a 70cc kit installed but the carb and exhaust are stock. when I get to about half throttle the engine begins getting loud and continues all the way to full throttle...ive got a #95 jet in the carb right now. It doesnt have much power compared to when I had the stock air box on with #85 jet installed. Could it be running too rich?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
Tutto-  The only way to tell is the plug chop.  I would definately do one!  I would think you are running lean using a 70cc with the stock carb!  Only one way to tell though! ;)

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »
I decided to try a 90 jet and the scooter wouldnt go past 30mph..and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I also plugged the breather line on the head cap cause I didnt know what else to do with it and it blew off when i was running the engine.

guess Ill try a plug chop

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
White smoke coming out of the exhaust isn't a good sign!  Sounds like you are definately running lean!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()