Author Topic: ..K & N air filter  (Read 16108 times)

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
Re: ..K & N air filter
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »
for my little stand on scooter and my nitro RC cars white smoke is a sign of running too rich. I think what was happening is... because I plugged the breather line some oil and gas were coming through the exhaust pipe.
I tested it again with the 95 jet and its bogs for half seconds at a time.
I guess I need like 100 or 105 jet?

Once I get this straightened out im done messing with my scooter. Im ready to move up. I plan on getting a sports bike soon like a Ninja 250r, 650r or a used R6 is I can afford it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:38:39 PM by TuttoCambia »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 12:00:22 AM »
I'm not certain but I heard somewhere in regards to a 2-stroke; white smoke is too lean, dark smoke is too rich, and blue smoke is oil.  I'm not sure if all of that applies to a 4-stroke also.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
..okay, here's where I think I went wrong...Initially, after installing my filter..

..Did Not perform plug chops...

..assumed that the reason I had no throttle response through 1/4-3/4 was because the main jet was too small..

..continued to increase main jet size..when in fact, I should have raised my needle...

..raised the needle, and have throttle thru 1/4-3/4... however, my main jet is now too large...

..WOT plug chop showed black deposits..I can smell gas fumes when I never could before...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
I think you got it figured out.  The main jet size only affects WOT.  You can do plug chops at other throttle positions besides just WOT.  I found the best way to do that is to wrap some tape around the throttle and mark off idle and full throttle then split the the difference till you break up the space into 1/4's.  That way you can be sure you are holding the throttle in the right position.  I hope you have another jet to drill out!  Good luck!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
...woooo-frickin-hoooo!!!

..102 jet...needle in it's original position...

...I'm pegging the speedometer...

..the sound the K&N gave my scoot is awesome too!!!

..more pep...more flat road power...

..I couldn't have done it without you guy's help...

;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:16:57 PM by wordslinger »

scoot1234

• 31 yr. old hudsband and father of 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
Good News! Good News! ;D
I love this forum! It's the best i have found; Very informative, especially because of knowledable peeps.ex.: 'wordslinger', 'shaka', 'Axy' or 'Zombie' just to name four...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
for my little stand on scooter and my nitro RC cars white smoke is a sign of running too rich. I think what was happening is... because I plugged the breather line some oil and gas were coming through the exhaust pipe.
I tested it again with the 95 jet and its bogs for half seconds at a time.
I guess I need like 100 or 105 jet?

Once I get this straightened out im done messing with my scooter. Im ready to move up. I plan on getting a sports bike soon like a Ninja 250r, 650r or a used R6 is I can afford it.

..tutto...from my recent experience, I found that black smoke indicates a "RICH" condition...white smoke means you're running LEAN...

..DON"T RUN LEAN!!!

..I think axy went to a 115 with his 70 kit...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
Glad to hear slinger! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
Now there is a class in carb tuning. Tutto has a problem w/ the plug he put in  the breather you can use a small filter to replace the hose that belongs there. The hose will soften with time and not want to stay there. YOU MUST have that port OPEN to the outside. It equalizes preasure from the cylinder blowby, and the outside air. If the port is blocked it will preasurize the crankcase to the point of blowing seals/ gaskets. The white smoke could either be oil (probally forcing past the valve seals), or coolant (from the head gasket) if it's oil the plug will be black, if coolant the plug is white. Either way get a breather back on there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Now there is a class in carb tuning. Tutto has a problem w/ the plug he put in  the breather you can use a small filter to replace the hose that belongs there. The hose will soften with time and not want to stay there. YOU MUST have that port OPEN to the outside. It equalizes preasure from the cylinder blowby, and the outside air. If the port is blocked it will preasurize the crankcase to the point of blowing seals/ gaskets. The white smoke could either be oil (probally forcing past the valve seals), or coolant (from the head gasket) if it's oil the plug will be black, if coolant the plug is white. Either way get a breather back on there.

..ok, cool..that answers what was goin to be my next question, since I removed the stock airbox...so far i had just been letting that hose hang...

..it needs a breather on it...

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:40 AM »
yeah, I immediately unplugged the breather line and popped a small filter on it

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
Cool, Your smoke should stop, if it was oil getting past the valves. I would still check the plug to verify. It's AWESOME to see scoots coming together. Hey slinger I would DEFF. suggest you try the same. A small filter will keep debris from entering while allowing the preasure to escape. Maybe tuto has a source! And thanks for the email it made my day
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
Cool, Your smoke should stop, if it was oil getting past the valves. I would still check the plug to verify. It's AWESOME to see scoots coming together. Hey slinger I would DEFF. suggest you try the same. A small filter will keep debris from entering while allowing the preasure to escape. Maybe tuto has a source! And thanks for the email it made my day

Yeah, imma get me one...I have a cool little brass muffler i'm going to adapt to the port..

..just got the tube tied up in a safe location right now...

..It's good to see this forum lite up a bit!!

nylaia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
Hi, I'm using K&N filter about 1 year (and about 3500 miles), and here are results:

I had to upgrade to .88 jet (stock was .78, I tried .82 and it didn't work) and do some minor carburetor adjustments, scooter is much much louder, but loudness decreases with time (as filter gets clogged from dust), filter is screwed directly on carburetor.
K&N filter increased acceleration and noise level, top speed wasn't affected by mod.
It's cheap mod and it helps, stock air filter has a very low air flow when compared to K&N

Scoot is 
agility 50, '07, (6.2g rollers, Vespa ET4 variator belt, K&N with .88 main jet, unrestricted CDI,  scooter has done 12000 miles)

Dr. Moto

• www.Enviromoto.com
    • View Profile
    • Enviromoto
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:42 AM »
Most of my experience is with the Chinese GY6 and Im assuming these Kymco setups are a bit different.

Setups I use for the Chinese 50cc GY6

50cc GY6 Free Flow Airfilter 88 main (I think this setup runs just a tad rich)
50cc GY6 Free Flow Airfilter & Exhaust 90 main
72cc GY6 and Free Flow Airfilter 88 main
72cc GY6, Free Flow Airfilter, and Exhaust 95 main

I have never had to tune past a 95 main jet except on my drag race scooter, its running a 102 main. It has 85cc, velocity stack, port & polished performance head, cam, exhaust, 19mm carburetor, lightened rocker arms, lightened valves, ect. Never have had it on the track yet but I can tell you its as fast as a stock 150cc off the line and would hang up to about a 1/8 mile then I run out of gear.

Get 10% off your order by using code "Kymcoforum" in Google Checkout.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()