Author Topic: You ever ran out of gas?  (Read 3578 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
You ever ran out of gas?
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »
Had my Super8 out today, planned my route and thought, "I'll get gas here if I think I need it". Well got to the small town and decided to stop and play it safe. WHAT! The gas station is closed! No gas between here and home. I'll tough it out. Back out to the country roads and hit that area where I wasn't sure if I was on the right path. PISS! Forgot the map I printed. I know, I'll use the GPS on my phone. SLOW and gas is a wastin'. sh**! I think I'm off course. Do I go farther away from home and try to hit a gas station at the nearest town or gut it out and try and make it home. Mine you, this scoot is new for me and I don't know the range on a full tank as my mileage is varying based on whether I'm doing city for highway speeds. I decided to just slow down beings I was on back country roads and there's really no traffic. I look at the gas gauge and it is lower than it has ever been. You know that split where it turn from orange to red on the gauge, well it cruised through the red section and was at the end of that. CRAP! Slow to 30-35MPH (48-56KPH) and start to tuck. Still 10 plus miles (16KM) from home. It's hard to relax and I find myself gripping the handlebars with extreme prejudice. If I run out of gas, will it just die, will it sputter for a couple miles, I don't know. Coming into my town I'm pressed with the decision, Do I go to the house or the extra 10 city blocks to get to the gas station. I may run out on the way there. I figure I can walk home if I don't make it so it's off to the gas station. I make it and manage to get 1.3 gallons (4.9 L) into the tank. That's 85 miles (137KM) since the last fill up so I probably had another 17 miles (27KM) in the tank. not sure if I want to press it that far again until I get some more data recorded on my miles per gallon sheet.

So have you ever ran out of gas? Did you have to beg some from a stranger, walk to a gas station? Tell us your harrowing story.
Wayne

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
Re: You ever ran out of gas?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
I have not ran out of gas before but I can say you're a hell of a storyteller!
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
 :o Nope, but I agree you got story telling skills.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
Only ran out of gas  1 time because my gas cauge dont work any more.So now when takeing long rides I take spare gas with me. Thanks to some farmer and a pic-up truck I got a ride to a gas station.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
I fill up every 80 miles of combined riding (or so), most ever took in 1 filling was 1.4 gal with avg being 1.2/1.3.

I would like to know if my tank on my 200s is a full 1.8 gal though.

Vivo ran out once and got a tow from a local police officer, they sell gas by him in glass bottles by the .L.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
I fill up every 80 miles of combined riding (or so), most ever took in 1 filling was 1.4 gal with avg being 1.2/1.3.

I would like to know if my tank on my 200s is a full 1.8 gal though.

Vivo ran out once and got a tow from a local police officer, they sell gas by him in glass bottles by the .L.
:o What.......That would be piss in a bottle. Dont think your scoot would runn on that.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:51 AM »
:o What.......That would be piss in a bottle. Dont think your scoot would runn on that.

You didn't see the thread he started on it, came complete with photos. 2 colored bottles 1 was reg the other ethel sold out of a road side shopping cart.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »
Blue, here's an example of a gasoline vendor.... they usually sell at far away places where no gas station exists... this is also true in Vietnam, Malaysia and other Asian countries...

I ran out of gas once when my fuel gauge broke... I was pushing my Super 8 on the road when a cop on a Super 8 helped me... pushed my scoot with his boot on the pipe tip while I was riding until we got to a gas station...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:25:38 AM by Vivo »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
Wow theam pic. Brings back old times when I made home made beer..........

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:11:35 AM »
If I run out of gas, will it just die, will it sputter for a couple miles, I don't know.
Sputtering only for (less than) a minute / hundreds of meters. If the little float chamber is empty, then push.

Momma bear

• View Profile
You ever ran out of gas?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
Wow! Great story. Twice my gauge was flashing and you definitely get that,"I wish I wore a diaper" feeling. I thing I'm getting about 60 mpg but don't like to push it. Saw a spare gas can on another forum that looked good. Will post it if I can find it again.
Ride safe
People300i

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
I ran out of gas just a few weeks ago in my GTi. Came down out of the mountains through the Salt River Canyon. Since I had only one bar on the gage I should have filled up in the town of Superior, but instead figured I could get fuel a little further up the rode in a place shown on the map called Florence Junction only 15 miles ahead. Now normally I can go about 140 miles and still can't put the full 2.4 gallons in the tank, and since I came downhill out of the mountains I figured my range was even better...  Wrong! About half way I lost the only remaining bar and the little gas pump symbol is flickering loud and clear. No gas or nothing in Florence Jct., and about a mile or so later - sputter gasp - out of fuel and coasting to the side of the road.  Pushed for about a mile until two sets of Canadian snow birds going back to their winter residences after a day of ATVing stopped to render assistance to a stranded American scooterist. Siphoned about a 1/4 gallon from one of the ATVs and I as on my way to a fuel station another 15 miles up the road.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
I ran out of gas when I had my old 50cc Chinese scooter. I on my way to an event and then all of a sudden, boom. No gas. Its a good thing the gas station was across the street. As for my current bike, no issues. This happens to all of us.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »
yes I ran out of gas once,. accident on the road, and the police put up a detour,at 359 km.s I ran out of gas 600 feet from the pumps, got a push from young guy walking by,so I did not even have to push,. some ways is good to be old, 

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »
I guess I'm a little paranoid about running out of gas. I try not to let the tank get more than half empty. If I'm going on an extended ride, I always strap a small 1 gallon gas can to the floorboard even if I know there will be gas stations on the route. Just my bit of scooter OCD. So far, so good.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()